Football LXXXIII: A thread ends, but the season is just beginning ;)

baxus

Let's continue where we stopped in the previous thread.

Diego Costa is not world class, crappy camera on Turf Moor etc.

EDIT:

As always, thread title suggestions would be appreciated ;)

We all know the Premier League is the hall mark of quality, so yeah, apparently van Gaal is a fraud by your own statistics!

(Note for any over enthusiastic, humourless bells about to jump on me - I don't really think the Premier League is the only thing worth winning. Cheers)

Van Gaal might not be a fraud, but he is certainly a walrus. Also, listing that he came runners up? I'm sure he counts that as an achievement.

Bersiktas away today, I have to say Slaven Bilic is scary, it's those eyes. A choice quote regarding tonight's match

“We are not here to take selfies with Arsenal on the pitch, we are here to battle to the end,” Bilic told press ahead of tomorrow’s game l

“Don’t expect our players to take selfies with Alexis Sanchez and Arteta, we believe we can qualify and will do everything we can to make it happen

Sturridge scoring more than Suarez is not really surprising, but how much more he scored is.

36 goals in 50 games is extremely impressive however as a stat most goals in their first 50 games for Liverpool is probably a little misleading. The likes of Owen, Fowler and even Rush were being eased into the team for at least a few of their first 50 games. Sturridge was stuck straight into the side so it's only really comparable with Torres and Suarez, and Liverpool were playing a lot better as a team in Sturridge's first 50 games than they were in Suarez's first 50.

Still a great effort though and it does show how impressively he's improved since he came to Liverpool and was given the chance to play up front consistently.

Sturridge being the guy who's scored the most goals in his first 50 matches for Liverpool is less surprising more I think about it.

While Torres and Suarez had to adapt to the new league (language barrier and all that), Sturridge had the advantage of already having played in the Premiership before joining Liverpool.

Norway has nominated a 15 year old for the senior team's upcoming game. Not sure if that means he's really, really good or Norway is a bit short of talented players.

In more interesting news, Werder has gotten rid of Mehmet Ekici. Finally the saga that has dominated the summer transfer window is over.

Solid piece of business, too, to get 1.5 million for a player who has done pretty much nothing at all for the past two seasons and was entering the last year of his contract. Of course that's only about one third they paid for him three years ago, but hey, got to think positive.

Even more amazingly, for the first time in three years Werder has not gone out in the first round of the German cup.

Costa doesn't really need to be a 'world class' striker to massively improve Chelsea. He only needs to be competent and score 20-25 goals per season, which appears to be quite within his range.

I think that's the key point here. Chelsea have never needed a striker who's name will live on down the ages. Last season they lacked a striker who could play for a whole season without breaking and was at least competent.

Don't get me wrong, Costa is in the Fraud XI, but that doesn't mean he isn't exactly what Chelsea need.

Costa doesn't really need to be a 'world class' striker to massively improve Chelsea. He only needs to be competent and score 20-25 goals per season, which appears to be quite within his range.

i could score 20-25 goals a season with hazard and fabregas behind me. if he doesn't hit 30-35 again he is a twat.

Archived