Football LXXXIII: A thread ends, but the season is just beginning ;)

baxus

Somehow has looked worse in the 2nd half

Zero idea what game you folk are watching.

Edit: Ramsey has probably been the most below par, Wilshere I thought made the right decisions on the ball on most occasions

Thought Sanchez was Arsenals best player. Odd he came off instead of Santi Cazorla who has been pretty mediocre.

Wenger has a love Cazorla that doesn't match his play. It will cost us points. He is worthless on the wing and just clogs up the midfield. There is no spacing when he's on the pitch and no pace. We only attack down the right because of it and are susceptible to counters on the left cause he rarely tracks back. He's such a liability and I hate that he plays instead of Ox or Campbell.

Rojo to United official. He was pretty good in the WC. Dont know much else about him

Didn't Rojo play left back for Argentina?

If so, why sign 2 left backs in one transfer window when your team aches for central defenders?

Wilshere looking utter shit.

I'm not watching the game so I can't say about this particular instance of Wilshere's shittiness, but I have very rarely glimpsed why people rate Wilshere so highly.

I mean, even if we were to put injuries aside he's nowhere near as good as some try to portray him.

Either that, or I haven't seen enough Arsenal matches or I'm just too ignorant about football to recognize his quality.

Arsenal didn't look great. Sanchez was lively again but didn't do anything. Love Giroud's hair but It's just not enough anymore. :P

I think Cazorla has enough to his play to not get replaced by the totally unproven Campbell. AOC is a different matter, obviously I love Ramsey but expect them to be a bit more exciting in the return leg when presumably the Ox will be on.

If so, why sign 2 left backs in one transfer window when your team aches for central defenders?

Left sided centre back, which works for 3-5-2. Don't remember where he played in the WC.

Arsenal didn't look great. Sanchez was lively again but didn't do anything. Love Giroud's hair but It's just not enough anymore. :P

I think Cazorla has enough to his play to not get replaced by the totally unproven Campbell. AOC is a different matter, obviously I love Ramsey but expect them to be a bit more exciting in the return leg when presumably the Ox will be on.

A player cannot become proven until he gets an opportunity and I think he's proved enough in the WC and at Olympiakos to get some game time, especially when it's very clear to everyone that Cazorla is not working. Cazorla is a great CAM but he's a terrible LW and I cannot understand why he continually plays on the left when he offers nothing there since he spends about 1/4 of the game there and the rest of it in the same positions as Ramsey/Wilshere.

Because he doesn't normally play left-back (and imo it showed at the world cup). But a CB with at least some experience of playing LB too is just the tonic. I'm not sure about his quality, but he's the right sort of player.

Cazorla was utterly pants today, but I think Sanchez came off mostly because this game still has a second leg which Arsenal really ought to win whatever, whereas Everton at the weekend is going to be tough.

Campbell - I'm not sure a champions league qualifier is the place to try him though. And Cazorla scored in the teams last two competitive games (well, properly competitive I mean).

Campbell - I'm not sure a champions league qualifier is the place to try him though. And Cazorla scored in the teams last two competitive games (well, properly competitive I mean).

Well no. He scored against City in the Community Shield but he absolutely did not score against Palace and looked utterly terrible, which is how I read he looked today. And not only that, but his movement was unbelievably poor. Check out this graphic. Remember, Cazorla is supposed to be LW in a 4-3-3. Tell me how his movement helps the team at all. Campbell, with his trickiness, direct play and shooting ability cannot be worse than this, even if all he does is add width and pace to the attack and free up some space for Wilshere/Ramsey.

Heh, of course, forgot there's been a game already, haven't caught up with it yet. Still, he scored in the cup final and again in the charity shield. I agree he's a bit of a problem, I'm just not sure Campbell's the solution, I'd rather they worked in AOC as a regular. But it's undeniable that Cazorla does sometimes come up with something special, even if his general play's a bit uninspiring. I feel the same about Podolski, although he does usually get his chance from the bench.

Heh, of course, forgot there's been a game already, haven't caught up with it yet. Still, he scored in the cup final and again in the charity shield. I agree he's a bit of a problem, I'm just not sure Campbell's the solution, I'd rather they worked in AOC as a regular. But it's undeniable that Cazorla does sometimes come up with something special, even if his general play's a bit uninspiring. I feel the same about Podolski, although he does usually get his chance from the bench.

I don't disagree with you about that Cazorla can every once in awhile come up with the spectacular but he disappears for 8 out of 10 games and shouldn't be a guaranteed starter like he is now. He's a great CAM. He should be back up for Ozil. But he's a terrible LW and his damage only comes from the center, never from the wing which kills our attack. I agree about Chamberlain though and even though Podolski is uninspiring for 70 minutes, he's our most clinical finisher which his ridiculous goal record can attest to.

I guess my issue with Campbell is he's just not getting an opportunity. He looked good in the WC. He looked good in CL against United. He looked great against Benefica in the Emirates Cup yet he gets zero minutes against Monaco and 5 minutes against City and nothing from then on. Give the kid an opportunity. He will impress.

Archived