Doctor Who Series 8

Garett Hornwood

I just loved it; Funny, intriguing and emotional. One of the few episodes that I wouldn't had changed a thing it was just perfect. The Teller reminded me of a SW's alien but I cannot remember which one. The next one seems a normal Doctor,I'm betting that I will also like it.

I just loved it; Funny, intriguing and emotional. One of the few episodes that I wouldn't had changed a thing it was just perfect. The Teller reminded me of a SW's alien but I cannot remember which one. The next one seems a normal Doctor,I'm betting that I will also like it.

I think you're thinking of Ree Yees. He had three eyes though I think.

I think you're thinking of Ree Yees. He had three eyes though I think.

You remember his name, but not that he's a Gran? For shame. Though apparently he 'suffered from a recessive genetic mutation, uncommon among Gran, which caused his hands to be deformed'. Holy crap, that's almost as bad as coming up with an explanation for the stripes on Han Solo's trousers.

Regarding the episode, it was fun. Similar to the Robin Hood one it didn't try to be too clever and serious, and therefore automatically avoided the potential pitfall of being a big letdown like the one last week. Though like others I'm a bit confused as to why the Doctor doesn't really appear to be looking for the Timelords.

I noticed that the doctor seemed a bit jealous. It made me sad.

Well, the Doctor knows what happens when his companions meet people in the real world- he loses them. I can imagine how heartbreaking it must be to constantly lose your friends, knowing that they will move on without you and that you will have to move on without them all the time.

I noticed that the doctor seemed a bit jealous. It made me sad.

I definitely don't think it's a romantic thing. 12 is actually a pretty childish and insecure Doctor I think and his little playdates with Clara are being threatened by Danny. And he's worried that Clara still "can't see him" so he's clinging to her as hard as possible by trying to interrupt her dates at every turn so he's the most important person in her life.

I definitely don't think it's a romantic thing. 12 is actually a pretty childish and insecure Doctor I think and his little playdates with Clara are being threatened by Danny. And he's worried that Clara still "can't see him" so he's clinging to her as hard as possible by trying to interrupt her dates at every turn so he's the most important person in her life.

I don't think he want's to be the most important in her life I just think he doesn't want to be alone so soon after his regeneration. He is still new and searching for himself,discovering who he is anew and Clara is something familiar and known to him. He doesn't want to lose that.

I don't think he want's to be the most important in her life I just think he doesn't want to be alone so soon after his regeneration. He is still new and searching for himself,discovering who he is anew and Clara is something familiar and known to him. He doesn't want to lose that.

If that was the case he wouldn't spend weeks, months or even years travelling on his own. I definitely think there is a psychological factor. After all, time isn't actually an issue for the Doctor - it doesn't matter how busy Clara's life is, there's always time for time travel. Even if she's absolutely exhausted she could sleep on the TARDIS (or some interplanetary motel for that matter). It's the fact that the Doctor is being snubbed and put off. He could easily come back after her date was over and pick her up for an adventure then, but he wants to come first.

If that was the case he wouldn't spend weeks, months or even years travelling on his own. I definitely think there is a psychological factor. After all, time isn't actually an issue for the Doctor - it doesn't matter how busy Clara's life is, there's always time for time travel. Even if she's absolutely exhausted she could sleep on the TARDIS (or some interplanetary motel for that matter). It's the fact that the Doctor is being snubbed and put off. He could easily come back after her date was over and pick her up for an adventure then, but he wants to come first.

Well, it's also a time factor, too. She will grow older, no matter what they do.

Interesting character episode. I liked the soldier/commander parallels but was distracted by the doctor's sparkly black shirt.

Nice to see another "thick of it" actor appear in chris addison. The heaven/promised land plot is thickening. I doubt it would be heaven but maybe it's Gallifrey?

I enjoyed the "it's assembly - go and worship something" line

Mixed feelings about that one.

Spoiler

I enjoyed the way it handled Danny, and his view of the Doctor as the "officer class" (Danny, judging by much of Britain's past and for all I know present army leadership, the Doctor is way way too competent. If he was officer's mess material, there wouldn't be room to move in the afterlife.) The amazing acrobatics at the end were a bit daft; still, I suppose Danny had to do something to end hostilities, and it could have been worse.

The pace started off very well and briskly, but trailed off somewhat once it focused more on the monster hunt. OTOH we had a lot of quite meaty dialogue. Like red snow says, a character episode.

Loved the way Clara turned back to say, "But she needs to work on her handwriting!" before rushing off to save the world. The line up of Clara, Danny and Adrian before parents evening began with sweaty foreheads and fake smiles made me think that the writer clearly knows some teachers.

I liked the bit at the end with Ollie doing a rather good impression of Mark Gatiss.

Danny's "he just wants me to be good enough for you" sounded to me a lot like him offering Twelve a face-saving compromise. Fairly sure the Doctor's anti-Danny sulk had very little to do with not thinking he was right for Clara.

Interested by the mention of River. Bringing her up might mean that Moffat doesn't want us to forget her, and the afterlife is somehow connected to that virtual reality program she ended up in?

Interesting character episode. I liked the soldier/commander parallels but was distracted by the doctor's sparkly black shirt.

I agree Danny comparing the Doctor to an officer was probably the most interesting bit of it, while it's not accurate in some ways it is in others. The Doctor does definitely have a tendency to give orders to people and sometimes despite his best efforts the people he is ordering around do get hurt or killed. I think the character interaction might make more sense if they'd get around to explaining the Doctor's recent antipathy towards soldiers.

I thought it was a reasonably good episode, with a few weak moments. Occasionally it got a little bit too silly to be believable, like Clara's attempt to explain the alien robot as being part of a school play. Most of the character interactions worked well but sometimes I think they're trying a bit too hard to be funny.

The line up of Clara, Danny and Adrian before parents evening began with sweaty foreheads and fake smiles made me think that the writer clearly knows some teachers.

Stephen Moffat is a former teacher, so I'm guessing he may have written the Parent's Evening scene.

I agree Danny comparing the Doctor to an officer was probably the most interesting bit of it, while it's not accurate in some ways it is in others. The Doctor does definitely have a tendency to give orders to people and sometimes despite his best efforts the people he is ordering around do get hurt or killed. I think the character interaction might make more sense if they'd get around to explaining the Doctor's recent antipathy towards soldiers.

Oh, I think they were hinting at it there. Clara says that Danny isn't a soldier any more: both Danny and the Doctor then seem to agree that he still is, that you don't just stop being a soldier. The implications of that for the Doctor should be obvious.

You can argue that's the same old story the Doctor's been dealing with for years, and isn't he past it by now, but there's a difference between his guilt over what he did in the Time War and his feelings about having been the War Doctor. I think it's more about the latter. Nine, Ten and Eleven were reactions to the former. Twelve appears to be more about whether, having dealt with that, he can go back to being what he was before the War.

This was definitely my favorite episode of the season; if only for the Danny-Clara-Doctor relationships (and great lines). Capaldi elevates irascibility to a new high, going ballistic on Danny with full-throttle eyebrows and scathing Scottish accent. Danny has no trouble sticking up for himself, thankfully, and coming in to help save the day (Clara and the school and the planet) in the final monster confrontation.

Is the Doctor going to drag a schoolgirl along with him for the next adventure? Should be an interesting episode, especially since the kid is a student at Clara's school (can't remember if the girl was one of Clara's specific students).

I thought it was a reasonably good episode, with a few weak moments. Occasionally it got a little bit too silly to be believable, like Clara's attempt to explain the alien robot as being part of a school play. Most of the character interactions worked well but sometimes I think they're trying a bit too hard to be funny.

Could have done without Danny doing a gymnastic rolling leap over the alien.

Is the Doctor going to drag a schoolgirl along with him for the next adventure? Should be an interesting episode, especially since the kid is a student at Clara's school (can't remember if the girl was one of Clara's specific students).

I think she has been in Clara's class. It just highlights how incapable the Doctor seems to be at ageing humans. I like this development as it is once again highlighting how he sees us as a very different species.

Archived