Doctor Who Series 8

Garett Hornwood

I think I'm going to like the new Doctor. 11 was usually a bit too hyperactive for my tastes.

My current theory about Missy: she collects people who have sacrificed themselves for the Doctor / the Greater good. Which would indicate that Robot guy from the first episode jumped, and wasn't pushed. Really intrigued about how that's going to develop...

She partly reminded me of the litany of dead women Rand kept in Wheel of Time. Which could make her an aspect of the Doctor. Although that does not really seem to fit in the Who universe.

If they continue to kill a GoT actor every episode at the end they would have more GoT characters' deaths than GoT. First Dontos and now Edd?

They killed plenty last season too. Edmure Tully, Lady Ollena, Walder Frey...

There's a massive crossover because the British TV actor scene isn't all that big.

Lately I've been thinking about writers who I'd like to see doing an episode for Who. My top three:

Hilary Mantell - could do a really good period episode, and has a real talent for dialogue, which I only noticed after seeing Wolf Hall/Bring Up the Bodies on stage.

Armando Ianucci - I'm catching up on Veep at the moment. No idea what kind of episode he'd write, but I'm sure it would be interesting.

David Mitchell - matrushka-structured episode with five minutes per story, anyone? Well, maybe not. Bet he'd be good though.

Realistically, I can't see any of them agreeing to do it. A family sci-fi show wouldn't be their natural stomping ground, but I think that's why I'd like to see them try.

Great episode overall.

I liked it actually, it did not seem to suggest sorrow as much as trauma to me. I am now expecting a juxtaposition between this character and the Doctor in upcoming episodes.

I liked Danny's later bout of anxiety about whether everyone at the school was gossiping about the new maths teacher crying in his first class. I suppose single tears are just a pet hate of mine.

There's a massive crossover because the British TV actor scene isn't all that big.

I was thinking about this season because it's the one after the other. But you are right. The good think is that Davos was alive at the end.

Also David Bradley played William Hartnell in "An adventure in Space and Time"

There used to be a saying, if you put any three Equity members in a room together, two of them will have been on The Bill. Nowadays, it's either GoT or Dr Who.

There used to be a saying, if you put any three Equity members in a room together, two of them will have been on The Bill. Nowadays, it's either GoT or Dr Who.

Jorah Mormont used to be in there somewhere too, he was a soldier/priest in the Angels two-parter.

I don't understand why the Doctor refused to take the soldier who wanted to come with him - she'd proven to have a fairly flexible mindset, went against orders to keep him alive and give him a chance; it seemed like the Doctor was really misjudging her, or condemning her as a soldier, a unit, rather than looking at her as an individual.

He's always been very selective about who he takes as Companions, she isn't the first person he's decided to refuse to let travel with him. There's not really any reason why he should take her with him.

And he was very cold in telling the poor about-to-die soldier to "trust him"; but it makes sense, given the amount of time and experience (much of it painful) the Doctor has seen, that he would have to be callous occasionally. (though it's odd that last week he was practically weeping as he was reassuring the dinosaur that he would save her, before the T-rex was incinerated)

Some of Capaldi's colder dialogue does seem a bit reminiscent of the sort of thing Moffat's version of Sherlock might say in a similar situation, willing to help people but not caring about their feelings.

If they continue to kill a GoT actor every episode at the end they would have more GoT characters' deaths than GoT. First Dontos and now Edd?

To really live up to GoT they need to have Sean Bean in it at some point (and then kill him off, naturally).

I'm torn over this episode. I thought the main plot was utterly stupid. I know it's a sci-fi show but shrinking to a point where you're still not that tiny to go inside a dalek. WTF? The constant repetition of "exterminate" was far more grating than usual too. On the other hand there were some great moments with this new "back to basics" Doctor. I loved how he utilised someone he knew was going to die rather than save him. I like how he's conflicted about whether he is good and how his hatred of the daleks ultimately made the "good" dalek flawed.

There were some great lines too

"she cares so I don't have to"

and

"It's more impressive from the other way"

I'm not entirely sure what his "no soldiers" as companions stance is other than to set the scene for when Mr Pink gets involved. I'm pretty sure he's had soldier companions before.

I'm also hoping "the mistress" isn't as obvious as being a female incarnation of "the Master".

I think I like what they are doing with the new Doctor - I'm just worried the episodes may have plots like this.

I'm also a bit annoyed there has, as yet been no discussion within the show about the fact he shouldn't be alive anymore and that the Time Lords are out there still. I really thought this would be his goal. Maybe all his introspection is him deciding whether having the time-lords back is a good thing?

He's always been very selective about who he takes as Companions, she isn't the first person he's decided to refuse to let travel with him. There's not really any reason why he should take her with him.

I think what was odd was that he made it sound as if being a soldier was the only reason. I'm glad he doesn't take anyone he asks on as being a companion as i like the idea that he sees something in them that is also useful to him eg would a soldier hold him back from killing the way that Clara would (take this episode for example). Again, given the brief glimpse into mr pink's past it's not that this is true of all soldiers.

An observation: after last week's mathematical scribblings in Vastra's house, this week there was a chalkboard in the TARDIS covered in some more. That's gonna be a long-term plot, right? Wonder if it's connected to Missy, or something else.

It's also notable how the way that soldier appears in 'heaven' is conspicuously similar to the way Blue appears in the TARDIS. Supports the theory that she's a time lord at least. Missy = Mistress = Master after all...

One thing I've found more and more interesting is the newer Doctors' relationships with their female Companions - we're getting a more mature and semi-realistic treatment of them (at least the relationships and to some extent the women themselves1).

I do wonder why the Dr. Who producers and directors decided to depart from the last nine years of having a physically young and sexually/romantically accessible Doctor and bring in a sterner, older model2. I am quite pleased by the change; since I like Capaldi's looks and acting chops, but it is quite a big change; and I wouldn't think that they would want to veer from a successful model of Attractive/Youngish/Quasi-Boyfriend Doctor3.

1. Every Critic I have ever read about Moffat writing say that he doesn't know how to write a modern women. That he almost always writes then as love struck puppies. Almost all (except Tegan, who had Adric, Nyssa or Vislor to play that part) the "modern" women on Classic Who were highly educated, often scientist. IIRC The only one who "fell" for the Doctor was Sarah Jane, and even that wasn't played up that much until he left her.

2. Because even Moffat, was tired of it.

3. I don't think Clara/Doctor had that much of it, and IMO it was funny that the Doctor even addressed that issue last week. Clara didn't think it all that true.

This was a superior episode, the best Dalek story in a long while and a bit of a sequel to Eccleston's first Dalek story. There was definitely some callbacks to that in it. The premise was goofy but they made it work, and the characterisation of the new Doctor and how his relationship with Clara works (she cares so he doesn't have to, kind of) is refreshing. Capaldi is completely owning it at the moment, especially when he sacrifices Dolorous Edd to the Dalek antibodies.1

Not sure about next week's Robin Hood episode. Looks a bit too goofy to me.2

1. I pretty much think the same, and would add one of the things I like the most (beside Clara/Doctor still feeling each other out) is that He is still discovering Who he is.

2. Yes, I hope it is better then it looked like in that clip. Anybody else that Modern Clara is ok, but when they put her in another time, and do her hair, she is really hot?

I enjoyed the call back to Eccleston's episode, with the Doctor being told he would make a good Dalek. Also, "Resistance is futile"

I thought that was a Borg thing.

I don't understand why the Doctor refused to take the soldier who wanted to come with him - she'd proven to have a fairly flexible mindset, went against orders to keep him alive and give him a chance1; it seemed like the Doctor was really misjudging her, or condemning her as a soldier, a unit, rather than looking at her as an individual.

I don't think he has turned anyone (except Mickey Smith, but even that was only till Mickey grew up). One of the best Companion ever was Leela who was a warrior and wanted to kill things first then ask questions. Yea, I know that we meet the other Companion in this ep, but Idk why they would have her ask, if she wasn't going to get to go....unless it was suppose to be a fake out, telling us we would meet a Companion this week, but not telling who it was. I guess it could have been ruined by a leak.

Not sure about next week's Robin Hood episode. Looks a bit too goofy to me.

I'm always a bit dubious of the medieval episodes because the inevitable sci-fi aspect can jar horribly with the setting. And it definitely looks like it will be a lighthearted, comedic episode.

I'm always a bit dubious of the medieval episodes because the inevitable sci-fi aspect can jar horribly with the setting. And it definitely looks like it will be a lighthearted, comedic episode.

They shrunk the Doctor last week and walked around in the shell of a dalek for 45 mins and still managed to entertain occasionally. I'm not going to be too pessimistic.

The only real shame is that they couldn't use the cast from the Robin Hood BBC show a few years back. That would have been great and you know, with Marvel doing so well out of it maybe the Beeb should consider creating the BBC universe? Tied together by the Doctor.

They shrunk the Doctor last week and walked around in the shell of a dalek for 45 mins and still managed to entertain occasionally. I'm not going to be too pessimistic.

The only real shame is that they couldn't use the cast from the Robin Hood BBC show a few years back. That would have been great and you know, with Marvel doing so well out of it maybe the Beeb should consider creating the BBC universe? Tied together by the Doctor.

And they did that in a sci-fi setting. It's easier to make that work. At least the Victorian stuff has the whole clockwork vibe to work with. I'm optimistic because I'm loving the season so far, but I expect a slight drop in quality.

And they did that in a sci-fi setting. It's easier to make that work. At least the Victorian stuff has the whole clockwork vibe to work with. I'm optimistic because I'm loving the season so far, but I expect a slight drop in quality.

I can't recall if their was a sci-fi threat from the preview. I usually like the "cowboys vs aliens" mash up of genres so that could work, If it's a straight up "wandering around that time period" it may be less so. Then again, when the show began, a lot of it's stories were historical with no sci-fi other than the Doctor being present.

Has anyone been following the bleeding cool rumours? Funny that the Dr Who Archivist hates Moffat so much. I sort of see the point regarding victorian london but I like the recurring cast from that period and it's cheap for the BBC to do thanks to all the period drama sets/costumes at their disposal.

I can't recall if their was a sci-fi threat from the preview. I usually like the "cowboys vs aliens" mash up of genres so that could work, If it's a straight up "wandering around that time period" it may be less so. Then again, when the show began, a lot of it's stories were historical with no sci-fi other than the Doctor being present.

Has anyone been following the bleeding cool rumours? Funny that the Dr Who Archivist hates Moffat so much. I sort of see the point regarding victorian london but I like the recurring cast from that period and it's cheap for the BBC to do thanks to all the period drama sets/costumes at their disposal.

The episode is called the Robot of Sherwood, so we can expect a Robot at least.

The complaint that the new series goes to modern-day London a lot is just weird. As if 'classic' Who didn't!

Archived