Videogames: Ultimate Evil Edition

Rhom

Playing this demo that went on the Playstation Store today called P.T.

A really creepy and scary game.

Now I just found out that it's actually the demo for the next Silent Hill and P.T. means playable teaser.

Which is meaningless to me since I've never played any Silent Hill game.

I watched Jesse Cox and a few others do a bit of a lets play of that. It was really cool. Very interested in Silent Hills when it comes out.

Has me intrigued. Deepwood could be a pretty interesting setting from a commoner's perspective, and I don't know how likely this is given we don't know the conclusion but participating in the frozen march could be fun.

Actually, general question: Are there any games that feature major weather events as a large part of the gameplay?

Best I can think of is the most recent Total War, if your men get stuck in enemy territory during the winter months you can end up losing a shit-ton of them

Actually, general question: Are there any games that feature major weather events as a large part of the gameplay?

Spec Ops: The Line has you stuck in Dubai as a massive sandstorm encircles the city, disrupts communication and causes other various problems like lack of sight and disorientation, etc.

Company of Heroes II. During winter storms and at night your soldiers have to recuperate near campfires or they start taking frostbite damage.

Left 4 Dead 2 has a level where a massive rainstorm periodically reduces visiblitly to near zero and IIRC the wind gets so loud that you can't communicate with teammates any more, leave alone hear the zombies.

And it's actually called "New 3DS." Bravo Nintendo.

That';s because it has an upgraded CPU, among other things. Which means if a game designed to make best use of the new 3DS it will not be playable on ye olde one. Good way of getting the install base to re-buy.

I think Nintendo is risking a lot of confusion in the market, since this is a new handheld platform but doesn't have a new name.

Isn't that the exact thing they did with the Wii-U?

Nintendo always seems a little odd with how they do things, at least to me.

I think Nintendo is risking a lot of confusion in the market, since this is a new handheld platform but doesn't have a new name.

Isn't that the exact thing they did with the Wii-U?

Nintendo always seems a little odd with how they do things, at least to me.

The difference is most Nintendo handheld owners are committed life long Nintendo hand held fans, and they will buy whatever, whenever. The mistake Nintendo made with Wii was in imagining the 80 million people who bought Wii but had never owned a console in their life before Wii were also, after only one generation, committed Nintendo fans who would buy whatever, whenever. But the fact is those 80 million were almost all fly-by-nighters who came in on a motion control fad and went out again as soon as the novelty factor wore off.

IMO there's almost nothing Nintendo could do to hold on to those people. If they'd called Wii U the Wii2 instead they may have got a bit more custom, but they wouldn't be much further ahead than they are now. Most of those 80 million will be of the "been there, done that" sort of people, and they won't be returning to console gaming any time soon. Or they are "seen one console seen 'em all". If there were interested in HD they would have got PS3 or Xbox 360 before Wii U came out, and especially after Kinect came along, and arguably the success if Kinect is all those people who had WIi early on and were looking for an upgraded motion control experience, which Kinect gave them; for a time. Wii, and to some extent Kinect, convinced non-gamers to buy a games console, but at their core these people remain non-gamers and they are all gone from the market. SO Nintendo is back to it's core audience, which is about how many people bought the Gamecube.

3DS is not in the same situation. Mostly because the core Nintendo hand held audience is considerably bigger than the core Nintendo home consoles audience. Though handheld gaming is being taken over by phones and tablets, which means no matter what Nintendo calls this upgraded 3DS it's not going to set the world on fire like DS (or rather DSi and DSLL) did, and the swing market in handhelds is no longer primarily oriented towards Nintendo. So there's definitely shrinkage in the handhelds for Nintendo, but they still have a decent core audience there.

I don't think that's true at all, regarding 3ds. There is certainly a core of "hardcore" Nintendo handheld fans, but there is also an awful lot of low information consumers who buy these things for their kids. There aren't the millions upon millions of them that there was for the Wii, but it's still a big portion of Nintendo's customer base. I think Nintendo is risking confusing the hell out of these consumers.

Nintendo's main strength is it wealthy IP. Mario Bros, Zelda, Kart, Donkey Kong. That are strong names and the games with their IP are always of a high calibre regarding quality and gameplay.

To me the Wii U was the only option as a console. Their games are better suited for the whole family. Everyone can pick up Mario or Kart per example, but I rather see my kids (under 12) not blasting around in one of the thirteen in a dozen first person shooters, wargames, hack'n slashers on a playstation of x-box. And to me games are not only about next gen graphics, gameplay is most important. That is why Mario Galaxy is still such an outstanding game.

The new 3ds is to a 3ds as a dsi to a ds.

And the Wii U lacked in marketing from the Nintendo point of view. Pity. Really good console.

Yesterday I finally transferred the data from the wii to the wii u. NIcely done of Nintendo with the animation.

Nintendo's main strength is it wealthy IP. Mario Bros, Zelda, Kart, Donkey Kong. That are strong names and the games with their IP are always of a high calibre regarding quality and gameplay.

To me the Wii U was the only option as a console. Their games are better suited for the whole family. Everyone can pick up Mario or Kart per example, but I rather see my kids (under 12) not blasting around in one of the thirteen in a dozen first person shooters, wargames, hack'n slashers on a playstation of x-box. And to me games are not only about next gen graphics, gameplay is most important. That is why Mario Galaxy is still such an outstanding game.

The new 3ds is to a 3ds as a dsi to a ds.

And the Wii U lacked in marketing from the Nintendo point of view. Pity. Really good console.

Yesterday I finally transferred the data from the wii to the wii u. NIcely done of Nintendo with the animation.

That argument doesn't hold water. If you restrict it only to the big name franchises then perhaps you are right. But every console has plenty of family friendly content. PS3 had 2 karting games, for example, which perhaps were not as awesome as MK, but they were there and they had pretty short learning curves.

And if you actually want non-violence in games then Mario Kart, and Galaxy are out, so you're only talking in degrees when you talk about not wanting your under 12's to play the violent stuff.

It's is perfectly fine for people to prefer the suite of games on one console or other, but it is simply untrue to say that one console caters to a the under 12 audience better than others.. Every console has always had kid and family-friendly stuff, even the original Xbox which was given the uncharitable nickname of "shooterbox".

And sure, in a general sense you can say that there has been a tendancy to sacrifice gameplay for pretty graphics. But it's again a false assertion to say that only Nintendo platforms have the best of what's out there in gameplay. Individual preferences are crucial to gameplay preference, and if Nintendo delivers your preferred gameplay that's brilliant. But that doesn't mean great gameplay is absent from any other platform. My personal gameplay preferences pretty much steer me away from any of Nintendo's main franchises, but I acknowledge Nintendo's excellence in the gameplay department.

Finished up Arkham Origins last night (honestly don't get the hate) and my to be played list is now essentially clear as I await my white PS4 and Destiny.

I believe my personal launch line up will be:

Destiny

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes (because that's what I first got with the PS2 and PS3)

The Last of Us (Because I can't ignore everyone around here)

Madden 15 (Because)

Dynasty Warriors (Because everyone needs a mindless button masher. For me on PS2 was Dynasty Warriors 2 and PS3 was Dynasty Warriors Gundam)

Dynasty Warriors (Because everyone needs a mindless button masher. For me on PS2 was Dynasty Warriors 2 and PS3 was Dynasty Warriors Gundam)

Out of curiosity is Dynasty Warriors 2 the last Dynasty Warriors game you've played? If so, you will be in for a bit of a culture shock.

Archived