Archipelacon - GRRM is GoH

Maltaran

Makes sense to go for a cabin I think, it is slightly cheaper to do that than buy 4 separate tickets and it gives us somewhere to store our luggage which is good. So yes put me down for that please.

I'm looking into travelling to Stockholm a few days early and doing touristy stuff, the main things I've picked out that I'd like to do:

Vasa Museum - restored 17th Century shipwreck

Nobel Museum - Nobel Prize museum

Museum of Medieval Stockholm - FREE admission

Drottningholm Palace - Royal Palace and grounds

Gripsholm Castle - travel to this 16th Century castle on the S/S Mariefred Steamship - All day trip (not available on Mondays)

I'm trying to decide if a Stockholm Card is worth buying or not. I think I'd need to visit at least five of these places to make it worth the cost. The free travel around Stockholm probably does make it worth it if I am going to do a lot of stuff.

I was also considering hiring a bike and doing some cycling tours, maybe get out of the city and see some of the country. Still not sure about that one.

If anyone is around and would like to join me for any of the above please let me know which day you'd like to go and we can make some plans. I have not booked flights and can be flexible on dates so I could go before or after the Con. I am thinking of getting a hotel near the central part of the city for the majority of my stay, but will probably take one night at the Scandic Ariadne on Wed 24 so that I'm within stumbling distance of the ferry for the morning.

Will try to plan things so I can join Targh at the Brewdog Bar on Tues 23.

Also let me know if you've found something I've missed. Thanks.

Makes sense to go for a cabin I think, it is slightly cheaper to do that than buy 4 separate tickets and it gives us somewhere to store our luggage which is good. So yes put me down for that please.

If anyone is around and would like to join me for any of the above please let me know which day you'd like to go and we can make some plans. I have not booked flights and can be flexible on dates so I could go before or after the Con. I am thinking of getting a hotel near the central part of the city for the majority of my stay, but will probably take one night at the Scandic Ariadne on Wed 24 so that I'm within stumbling distance of the ferry for the morning.

Also let me know if you've found something I've missed. Thanks.

Phil. I think Its slightly more was more expensive to do the cabin than pay for 4 separate tickets at least if your not on the Con Ferry.

We where planing on the Wed 24th Ferry 07:45 from stockholm. last week a single ticket was 14 Euros. today its 26 Euros so 104 Euors for 4

we can get a cabin for 81 euros (which is 20.25E per 4 and 27E per 3)

This means those that want a cheepo interanl cabin on Wednesday 24th at 07:45am from Stockholm. and are happy with the prices quoted above (or up to 5E per person variance if price changes before booking) Send me a PM

I need your full real name.

your Date of birth.

Nationality

Gender (there is no other category sorry)

and dissablity - if yo have one.

Please PM me by Tuesday morning. (I will book sooner if I have 4 spaces filled)

will book before if I have your details.

Confirmed List Sent me info required

Pebble

William

Targh

Note If we have 6-8 people then we can get 2 cabins.

If the same person books they may be next to each other.

MG I've not added you to the list since your post indicated not traveling until thursday. not wednesday. your welcome to join us.

This means those that want a cheepo interanl cabin on Wednesday 24th at 07:45am from Stockholm. and are happy with the prices quoted above (or up to 5E per person variance if price changes before booking) Send me a PM

I think the cabin sounds like a good idea (especially if the price is cheaper), I've sent you a PM.

That does sound like a good idea. I'm getting in to Stockholm on Sunday evening so I was also thinking of doing some touristy stuff on the Monday/Tuesday. I haven't looked in detail at what the various attractions are yet, I think I'm definitely interested in going to the Vasa Museum at some point.

That does sound like a good idea. I'm getting in to Stockholm on Sunday evening so I was also thinking of doing some touristy stuff on the Monday/Tuesday. I haven't looked in detail at what the various attractions are yet, I think I'm definitely interested in going to the Vasa Museum at some point.

I can recommend the Swedish History Museum. Lots and lots of Viking gold!! Vasa is pretty amazing as well, but quite small.

My SO and I have our memberships still but haven't sorted out childcare and accomodations yet. In any case, we'd be driving and taking the car on the ferry so perhaps we don't need to decide yet. Were actually considering the camping site option too.

4 spots taken for the cabin group ferry on Wednesday 24th

Pebble

William

Targh

Johan

Ferry booked.

We are on the 07:45 Ferry on Wednesday 24th June and have a Cabin. inside 4

You can pay me 20 Euros when in Stockholm.

We need to be at the Ferry Terminal by 07:15 at the latest - I suggest we aim to meet up at 7am

I also have booked my return ferry on Monday 29th at 9am. and since a Cabin for that was the same price I nabbed one.

If anyone wants to use it, they will have to book their own return ferry ticket.

Unfortunately myself and Darian Frey won't be able to make it since our childcare options didn't pan out and we can't get anyone else to take the kids for us. If anyone is still looking for memberships, ours should come up soonish as we just cancelled our memberships.

Cabin Crew!!!

The cabin has been paid for. The total was 1338Euros, which included the bed linen.

Because of the fluctuating exchange however, you guys have all overpaid by about 8Euros each. So rather than send 8Euros back to each of you by paypal, I was thinking I could bring the 80Euros (from the 10 of you that have overpaid) and put it in the food kitty or something. What do you guys think? If you would prefer the 8Euros back now, I can certainly do that as well.

(Edit - please see my most recent post for a correction on this. When I calculated how much I'd received compared to paid out, I went by todays exchange rate for the entire amount, whereas the deposit was paid when the exchange rate was not quite as favourable, and therefore cost me more than it would have done now.)

Details of where we are staying:

Strandbergs Stugor, Varvsvägen, 22100 MARIEHAMN, +358 18 22855, [email protected]

We can check in from 3pm on the 24th June and have to be out by 12noon on the 29th June.

Once we've determined who is the first to arrive, I will get in touch with the owners to arrange collection of the keys. Hopefully they'll allow one of you guys to collect the keys rather than insisting that I do it as it's in my name. But we'll worry about that if it happens. :)

Cabin Crew!!!

The cabin has been paid for. The total was 1338Euros, which included the bed linen.

Because of the fluctuating exchange however, you guys have all overpaid by about 8Euros each. So rather than send 8Euros back to each of you by paypal, I was thinking I could bring the 80Euros (from the 10 of you that have overpaid) and put it in the food kitty or something. What do you guys think? If you would prefer the 8Euros back now, I can certainly do that as well.

I think using the extra to pay for food when we get there seems like a good plan.

Johan - Yeah. I've edited my last post after stopping to think about it and checking my bank statement. When I calculated how much I'd received compared to how much I'd paid out, I used todays exchange rate for the entire 1338Euro balance, forgetting that the deposit I paid a couple of months ago, was done at an entirely less favourable rate. Not to mention some lovely non-sterling transaction fees. Woooo. I'd also forgotten (and would have continued to forget had you not reminded me, lol), that not all of you had paid for linens yet.

So, to break down the particulars (and if people want to see my bank statement for proof of figures, just ask (I won't't be offended, I understand that you're sending money, in some cases, to a total stranger)):

Deposit paid: £191.44 + £5.26 non-sterling transaction fee

Remainder of Balance paid: £806.44 + £22.17 non-sterling transaction fee.

That amounts comes to: £1025.31

Thus far I have received:

£86 x 5 = £430 - this includes my contribution

£80 x 6 = £480

This comes to £910

+Beth's £86 (which is incoming) = £996

Which leaves a shortfall of £29. 6 lots of 9Euros (for the bed linen) is £38, so whilst I have still been overpaid, it is to the tinier tune of £9 rather than 80Euros, though I will still put it in the kitty.

I do apologies for the misrepresentation of my above post - as I say I

a.) forgot to take into consideration the exchange rate when I paid the deposit;

b.) forgot to consider the non-sterling transaction fees. To be fair the £5 didn't bother me so much, but the £22 one did feel a rather bit rude. :P

c.) forgot to take into consideration that not all of you had paid for linens yet.

So sorry to all of you, again.

And also, to answer Johan's question - I will please need your 9Euros for bed linens at the con.

Sam you make my head hurt. :love:

I thought that the Euro tanked when you posted the first post.

9 Euro's coming your way from me. - (at the con) and if for some reason I don't owe you that, then stick it in the kitty or something.

on another currancy issue, does anyone know weather its better to bring SEK or Euros as spending money to Aaland? I've often found that some places that will accept duel currency will offer more favorable rates to the preferred currency unit.

Pebble - All I know is that it cost me more to pay the deposit in January than it would have cost me to pay it now. So that means a favourable rate, does it not?

The exchange rate the past 4 months has been up and down like a yo-yo. For example, one person who thought they were paying me £86 actually paid me £78 because of the exchange rate. I've taken that hit because you guys paid me exactly what I asked for. It was me that didn't keep a constant eye on the exchange rate. I should have just asked for £86 and let you guys do the currency conversion, but I didn't, and in all but one case, got whacked for it.

So when I paid the full amount, and checked the balance in the exchange rate 1338Euros = £958, I immedietely thought "shit, everybody has overpaid me. I've got more than that, or will have more than that when everybody has paid." But in my panic of "I don't want people to think I'm pocketing the overpayment" I forgot to take factors into consideration

1.) Not everybody has fully paid me yet.

2.) The non-sterling transaction fees. Though if you guys don't want to contribute to that, then that's fine.

3.) The difference of exchange rates between when I paid the deposit and when I paid the rest of the balance so that 1338Euros doesn't = £958 because I didn't pay all 1338Euros of it at once.

Does that make sense? Though if people want to hold me by my first post, I will pay 80Euros into the kitty. To be honest, I'm beginning to wish I'd never been the poor bugger that agreed to pay the balance. I've confused myself, and I'm the one that's got my bank statements and paypal statements in front of me. I made a mistake in calculations, but if people don't understand what I'm trying to explain, then I don't want it to look like I AM pocketing the difference.

That makes perfect sense. Of course you shouldn't be held to the first post - it's not as if anyone's lost money by you posting that. I'd find it perfectly reasonable for you to keep any extra money left over for the financial risks you've taken and for organising it all. It's a good thing that the GBP is strong now (the GBP/EUR rate is about 4% better now than 3 months ago).

The main currency on Åland is EUR, but they mostly accept SEK as well. Since the shops etc will have to change any SEK to EUR they'll probably charge a premium for prices in SEK. I'd guess they'd charge 10 SEK/EUR (for ease of calculating) which would be about a 6% premium (almost what the exchange offices charge, but much more than what banks charge).

Oh I understand. It just makes my head hurt working all the figures out, Glad its not me ;) and I'm really happy its not me sorting this out. - Things would be so much simplier if there was just one world currency.

And no you should not be out of pocket. for the record I would be very unhappy with you if I found out that it was the £ that lost value and you didn't tell us, thus we where unable to compensate you.

Thanks Steinman, that makes sense.

Archived