Archipelacon - GRRM is GoH

Maltaran

We will be staying at the Arkipelag, which - if I read my maps correctly - would be a bit further from the airport than Strandbergs stugor. I think the cab driver will be able to split the bill as we want it and if not, we can sort it out during the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

I still haven't booked my hotel for Stockholm and really need to do that.

Where is everyone else staying in Stockholm? I know some people have said they are staying in a hostel, but which one, whereabouts. I may try to find a hotel closeby or something.

Where is everyone else staying in Stockholm? I know some people have said they are staying in a hostel, but which one, whereabouts. I may try to find a hotel closeby or something.

I can't remember if I posted this before, but I'm staying in the hotel that Pebble suggested, it seems to get good reviews online, it's reasonably prices and it's nice and close to the ferry terminal and seems within reasonable walking distance of the city centre.

George is going to be in Stockholm on the 23rd of June on his way to Archipelacon. Our SF book store is inviting to a limited seating conversation with him (tickets to be released on the 12th of June).

Have you booked a place yet? I haven't either and since I just started my summer break I kind of need to focus on this trip now. I'm arriving on the 23rd mid-day.

Not yet. It seems you can get a decent deal if you don't mind having a room without windows that is about a foot bigger than the bed you are sleeping in, but there are some nice rooms to be had if you pay a little more. Let me know what you want to do and we can either get a twin room or rooms in the same hotel or something. I'm arriving on the 22nd, checkout on the 25th. Then I need another room in Stockholm on Mon 29 - Wed 1 July.

Have you booked your travel to Mariehamn? I think you are probably too late to get the con ferry now, or at least get the con ferry rates. You can probably still pay full price for a ticket if you need to.

Also those of us staying in the cabins should probably mention the board games we are bringing so that we don't end up with duplicates. I've recently got Pandemic and was thinking of bringing that over.

Pandemic is nice. I'm up for playing that a couple of times.

I was planning on bringing One Night Ultimate Werewolf (with expansion). Did you try it at Titancon Phil?

I have several others that I like to play but are a bit heavy to bring with me "just in case". Does anyone want to play Agricola (with many expansions available), Dungeon Lords (with all expansions available), Through The Ages, Race for the Galaxy, or Power Grid (with many expansions available)?

I have a lot of games at home, but I can't fit very much in one item of luggage from the US and I have to save most of the space for my Iceland trip following this one. But I do have some compact games and will bring something. Also, I can moderate Mafia. :P

Aly - I'll answer below. I figure as we're getting close, I should give all cabin crew the details they need:

CABIN CREW!!!!!!!

Details of where we are staying:

Address: Strandsberg Stugor, Varvsvagen, 22100 Mariehamn

Telephone: +358 18 22855

Email: [email protected]

Check in time: 3pm onwards 24th June

Check out time: Before 12noon 29th June

What we've booked:

2x 6 bed Apartments - to my understanding we are in Ostran and Vastran, which are right next to each other.

Looking on the map, we are also right next to the BBQ pit area. :)

I should stress that all apartments are non-smoking, just in case we have smokers in the party.

12x Bedlinens and Towels - towels are included but I'm not sure how large they are, etc. Up to you whether you bring your own or not.

Booking Details:

Because FinnAir are a delightful company that revel in shifting a 4pm flight to 7:25pm, I won't be there to collect the keys. They do know this, and I have named Johan to collect them, as he is amongst the first group to arrive. However, it would be useful for you all to know the booking details:

Booking Name: Samantha Hirst
Booking Number: 6783103
Booking Code: DFEL

Siv (one of the owners) knows you are due to arrive at 3pm, and that I won't be there. She says that won't be an issue, but if it is, give me a call, I will leave my phone on. I am due to arrive in Helsinki at 3:10 local time, so I'll pick up as soon as I can, but I am hoping this won't be as issue as they've had advanced warning.

Hey guys!

I'm actually a native Åland Island resident and will be joining you guys at the con. I'ts my first con so I don't really know what to expect, but I'm sure it will be great!

Anyhow since I'm a local I can probably answer any questions you have regarding the Islands like food, places to visit and possibly help sort out questions you have with bookings etc.

So just let me know if you have questions, and see you soon!

Thanks for the info Sam, very useful.

bobbechk has already posted in the attendance thread - but in case anyone else has missed the other thread it is here: Attendance list and party plans

I just posted an update about our party at Archipelacon which I will duplicate here for anyone that has not seen it yet.

OK - slight change of plan folks, our party is now going to be on Saturday night from 9 pm - 11 pm. There are no other parties going on at that time so we will be the main Saturday night party.

We will be in the pool area of the hotel Archipelag. The bar there will stay open until 2 am so the party will go on beyond 11 pm - but it's only those two hours from 9 pm that we have exclusive use of the area. From 11 pm - 2 am members of the public will also have access to the pool area bar. The good news is we don't have to pay anything for the use of the space and no need to worry about making a minimum sales target or anything like that.

The bad news is that the bar won't be able to get special beers and ales for us after all, sorry about that. But we can talk to them about making a special cocktail for the evening. Unfortunately we cannot provide food or snacks for the party either so we are going to have to do other things to make the party special.

We can run a raffle. There is a stage with a DJ and apparantely we can request the music we want played. I can bring the banners with me though I don't know how we will be able to hang them, we might need to check the place out on Thursday and source some hanging materials on Friday from somewhere in Mariehamn. I'm also planning to print some BWB stickers that we can put on people's namebadges on the door.

Please post here if you have some ideas to help make our party awesome.

Archived