Other writings of GRRM?

Mrsbritt4309

If you want to go in order throughout the history of Westeros then start with The Rogue Prince which is in the anthology titled "Rogues."

Then go with The Princess and the Queen (Greens and Blacks) which is in the "Dangerous Women" anthology.

After that, The Dunk and Egg tales would be next.

1.) The Hedge Knight (Legends anthology)

2.) The Sworn Sword (Legends II)

3.) The Mystery Knight (Warriors I anthology)

I believe I'm right in this listing. Someone will correct me if I'm not.

Order of publication:

ASOIAF, A Game of Thrones, 1996

Dunk and Egg first novella, The Hedge Knight, 1998
ASOIAF, A Clash of Kings, 1999
ASOIAF, A Storm of Swords, 2000

Dunk and Egg second novella, The Sworn Sword, 2003
ASOIAF, A Feast for Crows, 2005

Dunk and Egg third novella, The Mystery Knight, 2010
ASOIAF, A Dance with Dragons, 2011

The Princess and the Queen ou The Princess and the Queen, or, the Blacks and the Greens. Being A History of the Causes, Origins, Battles, and Betrayals of that Most Tragic Bloodletting Known as the Dance of the Dragons, as set down by Archmaester Gyldayn, 2013

The Rogue Prince, or a King's Brother, as set down by Archmaester Gyldayn, 2014

The World of Ice And Fire (to be published by the end of the year 2014)

I wouldn't start with The Princess and the Queen or The Rogue Prince, who are really special work of writing. You need to know a lot of things about Westeros to really enjoy these tales as you should.

I would say that reading ASOIAF entirely is the first thing to do ; then, go with the Dunk & Egg stories. Or peraphs read these before ADWD. And then, when you already know a lot of things about the universe and the way GRRM writes, try Archmaester Gyldayn writing (First The Princess and The Queen, then the Rogue Prince)

When the OP wrote "other works associated with ASoIaF" I assumed she has read GoT-DwD. That was my interpretation at least. If you have, OP, then you have plenty of knowledge and background to start with The Rogue Prince.

I'd at least read Rogue Prince before Princess and the Queen in that order since they basically connect. Dunk and Egg could be read before them even though they take place maybe a 100 years afterwards.

If you want to go in order throughout the history of Westeros then start with The Rogue Prince which is in the anthology titled "Rogues."

Then go with The Princess and the Queen (Greens and Blacks) which is in the "Dangerous Women" anthology.

After that, The Dunk and Egg tales would be next.

1.) The Hedge Knight (Legends anthology)

2.) The Sworn Sword (Legends II)

3.) The Mystery Knight (Warriors I anthology)

I believe I'm right in this listing. Someone will correct me if I'm not.

Hedge Knight is in Dreamsongs Volume II.

I agree with reading Dunk and Egg as soon as possible. Maybe even before ASOIAF, as they are prequels. Those are by far the most rewarding and concisely written material. If you find yourself interested in theories, predictions, or just can't get enough of ASOIAF read Rogue Prince and the Princess and the Queen.

Another read that is really entertaining and mind blowing, but might make people look at you funny if you talk about it, is the Ice Dragon story. I'd say it's "definitely" in ASOIAF universe, but not in the ways you'd expect. However, it's very entertaining and short.

Where can that story be found?

Here's the re-release info from GRRM's website: http://www.georgerrmartin.com/new-release-of-the-ice-dragon/

The book has been out of print, so if you don't have Kindle or can't wait for the new edition, you'll probably need to look to your public library (that's how I located a copy).

And just to be clear: there most definitely conceptual overlap between the world of ASoIaF and that of Ice Dragon, but it's not entirely clear that it's the same world. But there are most certainly overlaps of themes/motifs (fire/ice, protagonist whose mother died giving birth to her, dragons, etc.).

Everything else has been listed, but I'd like to vouch for Dreamsongs vol 1 and 2, and Dying of the Light... with those he just has a way of making you feel... lonely. :D But seriously, I love his short stories and I loved DotL. I want them both as movie versions.

Archived