Other writings of GRRM?

Mrsbritt4309

Everything else has been listed, but I'd like to vouch for Dreamsongs vol 1 and 2, and Dying of the Light... with those he just has a way of making you feel... lonely. :D But seriously, I love his short stories and I loved DotL. I want them both as movie versions.

Brrr, downvote for 'Dying of the Light'. You can tell that it was GRRM's first big novel and not in a good way. If you want to read GRRM's non-ASOIAF material, I'd suggest you read 'Fevre Dream' (his most succesful novel pre-ASOIAF) and 'The Armaggedon Rag' (a forgotten gem) first. Tuff Voyaging is also a fun read. If you're interested in his short stories, then buy Dreamsongs, it has a very good sellection.

GRRM acknowledged some of the sentiment towards DotL in a blog post once, he said something like "Yes, it's melancholy and sappy, but I was melancholy and sappy at the time so there you have it." It's certainly worth checking out. (IMNSHO) :D

Dems fightin words!!! I loved Dying of the Light! Although you're totally right that its clearly an early work... I love it because of the weird melancholy feeling it has.

I actually sort of agree in liking its melancholy feel, though I would not go so far as to recommend it (though fans, of course, will read it anyway). I actually think I like it better than Fevre Dream (his most successful novel, but in my view pretty bad). Dying of the Light is however, not merely melancholy, but extremely nihilistic, and that is my main objection to it (nihilism sucks eggs). GRRM has denied that ASOIAF is nihilistic, and I guess that might be true compared to Dying of the Light. The early novel of his I like the most is ironically his least successful: The Armageddon Rag, which is not great, but has points of interest.

Yes, I'm just not sure of what you mean specifically.

Gosh. If you had not read it, I could explain what I meant by describing the novel. But you've read it.

Or are you asking me to define nihilism? Okay, when I call the novel nihilistic, I mean it is a novel about the pointlessness and purposelessness of life and human existence.

On a more positive note, it is about mourning a lost love. But the nihilism is definitely there as well. On almost every page.

Archived