How much is 40,000 Gold Dragons worth?

Malchyor

Thats not on par with what we've seen in the books, Dunks armor for a huge guy cost 800 silver which translated into 3 gold.

Dunk's armor was the plainest, least decorated armor. And his horse wasn't very quick. 226 silver = 1 gold dragon, so it'd be closer to 4 gold dragons, I think. He sold his Horse to get that 800 silver... so that means we can put a bare minimum entry fee of a hedge knight at 8 gold or thereabouts. But lords with fancier armor and more expensive horses are going to be a different story. We'e talking about crests, jewels, precious metals, thoroughbred horses. So my guess is the average starting ransom would be closer to 20-30 gold, and further from dunk's meager 5-10 gold ransom. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think Ser Loras's armor and horse would be in the neighborhood of 500 gold. Rhaegar's armor and horse would be worth 1000's.

@willofDorne

We see it's not unheard of for Lords and Knights to waive the ransom. Baelor Breakspear did it for Ser Arlan. One of the hedge knights in the Mystery Knight expects it to happen if he loses a bout (and secure a job).

Even the snail knight (who is solely driven by profit) complains about the effort selling Dunk's actually gear would involve.

I imagine a lot of hedgeknights get away only paying whatever cash they have on them, as the Lords/wealthier knights can't be bother or don't want to appear miserly.

As for the 6 million dragons debt: England had a public debt of £ 6,1 millions by 1694, and has never paid it off. In terms of silver, looks like 1 dragon is more like £4. Well, Great Britain was £ 34 millions in debt by 1712, and has never paid that off, either.

Looking at this in terms of purchasing power. From the ASOIAF wiki, it says that one bushel of corn cost 1 silver stag just during the War of Five Kings. It also says that one dragon equals 210 silver stags. The spot price of a bushel of corn over the last thirty years has had a rough average of about $3.00 (in current nominal dollars) or so.

A rough estimate would be accordingly:

3.00 dollars/bushel x 1 bushel/stag x 210 stags/dragon x 40,000 dragons = $25,200,000.00

Of course this isn't precisely accurate for at least two reasons. The first is that we know that the price of food was greatly inflated during the War of Five Kings. Secondly, you would need more information about the prices of other commodities in Westeros to build a true index. The estimate above just gives a rough idea.

ETA:

The computations might be off if "corn" really meant "wheat" i.e "The Corn Laws".

The Hound could have put some decent enchantments on his weapons and armor. I'm thinking a +2 enhancement bonus on his sword, and +3 on his armor. That will leave him 13,000 gold to buy a longship, 50 crewmen, and 120 mercenaries which he can use to terrorize the Narrow Sea for approximately 8 years, and a 1,028 gold rainy day fund.

It's things like this that make me doubt incredibly elaborate plans revealed through subtle foreshadowing in symbolic textual minutiae, irrespective of how much they align with a line from the Love Song if J. Alfred Prufrock.

:agree:

Seriously, are people unable to read?

BWB only gave the Hound a note for 9k dragons, thus he was only carrying that much, thus he either spent the other 31k or stored it somewhere.

Reading is one thing, memorizing the details of a (potential) tiny plot hole, as they come up over 5 books, is another. Kind of a jerky reply, but it's the internet, so I guess it's what we should expect.

• 3 weeks later...

Well if we'd imagine the dragon was on the small side, say 2.5 grams, 9000 would weight only 22.5 kilos, which is reasonable. However, the smaller we think the dragon, the bigger the problem with the dragon stag equivalence. In both ancient and medieval times, the weight ratio between gold and silver coins was roughly 1 to 10. If we think the stag was about 1 gram, like a medieval denier or penny, then the dragon would be frigging 21 grams, quite a big coins for the medieval standards. So 9000 dragons = 189 kilos. Unfortunately this makes the dragon - stag equivalence a "plot hole" or Planetos silver abundant and dirt cheap (like modern day silver which is almost 100 times cheaper than gold)

I do not know much about the medieval period, but in 1st Century Imperial Rome, a skilled laborer, or a common legionary soldier roughly earned a silver piece a day (3.3 grams) which is almost 1 gold piece a month ( 1 aureus (about 7.8 grams) = 25 denarii)

A centurion (officer commanding 100 legionaries) might have been getting 20 times as much.

An animal would cost in the tens of denarii, and a slave in the hundreds.

Looking at this in terms of purchasing power. From the ASOIAF wiki, it says that one bushel of corn cost 1 silver stag just during the War of Five Kings.

In ancient times (Rome or Greece) a bushel of grain was roughly from 1 to 2 pieces of silver depending on period and location. Interestingly enough this did not change much in medieval England, and rather-skilled labor wages were very similar (2 pence (almost 3 grams of silver) a day for a thatcher England 1261)

Considering the wo5k price is a war price, then the stag must have been a heavy coin, heavier than a drachma/denarius and much heavier than a medieval penny, so at least 5, more likley 7 grams So the dragon would be truly enormous (about 50-70 grams of gold - totally unpractical for the main denomination) or hugely over-valuated :) Unfortunately Martin really messed up the monetary system of Westeros. Or their gold is much more valuable than on Earth...

Considering the wo5k price is a war price, then the stag must have been a heavy coin, heavier than a drachma/denarius and much heavier than a medieval penny, so at least 5, more likley 7 grams So the dragon would be truly enormous (about 50-70 grams of gold - totally unpractical for the main denomination) or hugely over-valuated :) Unfortunately Martin really messed up the monetary system of Westeros. Or their gold is much more valuable than on Earth...

Or that non-canon "source" of 210 stags = 1 dragon is wrong.

If that war price is correct, then a dragon should be from 10 to 20 stags. Say war price double than normal, 1 stag = 5 grams, 1 dragon 10 grams, 1 to 20. (The English "noble" used during the war of the roses was ~8 grams) That would make Sandor's load 9000 pieces = 90 kilos.

Archived