Can someone please explain

bellyfrog

Hey,

I've only recently joined the forums and I've been reading a lot of the theories knocking around. R+L=J seems to be the most commonly believed one, it's also the only one I actually grasped upon reading the books alone.

I'm just beginning my second read through and got to the chapter where Ned dreams about the Tower of Joy. It seems to be implied that the Kingsguard are there because they are protecting a king (believed to be Jon)?

What I don't understand is why they consider Jon the rightful heir as oppose to Viserys? When Aerys died surely the throne passes to Rhaegar and when he dies, on to Viserys.

Because when Aerys died the throne passes to Rhaegar and since Rhaegar died it passes to Jon.

It could have only gone to Viserys if Aerys didn't have a son or Rhaegar died. But Jon would have been conceived before Rhaegar died therefor Rhaegar would have had an Heir.

When the King dies, his son(Rhaegar) is next in line,then Rhaegar's son's would be before Viserys. Only when Aegon was "killed" did Viserys become the next in line. And I think that R+L=J is true but that Jon is still a bastard, not trueborn and therefore would have no claim to the throne. They were there because Rhaegar ordered them to be there.

The mad king was dead by the time Ned went to save Lyanna. Aerys dead ---> Tyrells surrender ---> Tower of Joy ---> Stannis takes Dragonstone.

Yes but when Rhaegar left the ToJ, the mad king was still alive and well at KL, so they would still go back to KL if their orders were to protect the king, because even in that circumstance, and for arguments sake I'll even say Jon is legit, Jon is still 4th in line behind the mad king, Rhaegar, and Aegon, so why would they protect the 4th in line?

Yes but when Rhaegar left the ToJ, the mad king was still alive and well at KL, so they would still go back to KL if their orders were to protect the king, because even in that circumstance, and for arguments sake I'll even say Jon is legit, Jon is still 4th in line behind the mad king, Rhaegar, and Aegon, so why would they protect the 4th in line?

Well, because Aerys and Aegon had a Kingsguard guarding them (Jaime) and so did Rhaegar (Lewyn Martell). Not true for Jon.

Because Rhaegar had Selmy, Darry and Martell and 40,000 men while Aerys and Aegon had Lannister and 2,000 men while Jon had only them.

Because Rhaegar had Selmy, Darry and Martell and 40,000 men while Aerys and Aegon had Lannister and 2,000 men while Jon had only them.

Yes all the way down in Dorne, where the fighting wasn't, and with the Tyrell army between them and KL. They were ordered to stay there by Rhaegar, and they followed that order. Yes their job is to protect the king, but if the king tells them to protect someone else then they will have to follow that order according to their oath. It has nothing to do with Jon being the rightful king, he's a bastard and a snow regardless of who his father is.

It makes somewhat sense if those three had been conspiring with Rhaegar from the beginning and didn't care for Aerys

that would be interesting, but IIRC they were disappointed that they weren't at the Trident or KL, and said that if they were at the Trident the battle would have gone the other way, and if they were at KL Areys would still be on the IT.

Archived