Like to see Tarly go down?

I was re-reading AFFC last night and I am reminded about how big a dickhead Lord Tarly is.

At first I wanted his demise to be somehow related to Sam, but I would be equally happy to see him smashed by a woman (he is such a chauvinist pig).

It got me thinking.....maybe Tarly will be the one to oppose Dany when she lands in Westros? I'd really like to see him give her attitude and tell her that she must needs be at home nursing babies and see her dragon turn him into a nice pielce of crispy chauvinistic bacon....

anyone else?

I don't want to see Randyll Tarly go down, at least not yet. Lord Tarly is one of those characters who I've always thought will eventually have more of a role to fill beyond being that of his being everyones favourite misogynistic, reactionary, hang 'em high feudal stereotype.

OP, I don't think Tarly is likely to meet Danny, assuming that she does arrive in Westeros in TWOW and isn't diverted elsewhere or further delayed while on her way. The Ironborn presence in the Reach and the threat that they pose to the lands, castles and smallfolk belonging to many Tyrell bannermen is likely to cause many of them who are in KL and the Riverlands to return home. Horn Hill is within striking distance of the Mander and Randyll Tarly will be painfully aware of this fact.

No, I think that Randyll Tarly will meet Gilly and his 'grandson' at Horn Hill and eventually an unexpected (for him) encounter with his oldest son and former hier Sam.

Are you kidding me? He abused Sam terribly. Chained him to the wall and left him in the dungeon for untold amount of time....

Tarly is a pig.

He is one of the worst people in Westeros. Not only for his treatment of Sam, but having lye put onto a woman's vagina as a punishment, saying Brienne needs a good raping, etc...

I hope he meets a very bad end.

I think that Randyll's punishment for his bad karma is going to be pretty straightforward. He'll support Faegon and probably be one of his prime supporters. For a while he'll be a very powerful man in Faegon's inner circle, probably in line to become the new Lord-Paramount of the Reach. And then Daenerys arrives and everything he'll have worked for will turn to shit.

His king will be defeated, his chance of LP-ship will be in tatters and most important of all, Dickon will get killed along the way. Before that happens, Samwell will probably acquire some influence in the Black Dragon camp himself. There's a reason why that secret dragon book is at the citadel and why Samwell has just made friends with someone who's family (the Martells) will probably deliver a queen (Arianne) to Faegon. I suspect a Samwell - Randy face-off after Dickon dies, a sort of see-what-your-ambition-has-led-to-moment, with Sam finally standing up to Randy.

And then when the dust settles, chances are big Randy will have to bow to Jon Snow (with or without Dany as Queen). His chosen heir will be dead and his cowardly son will have frontrow tickets to the royal theatre. He'll stay alive and see Samwell being respected as a learned advisor (and probably Lord), with major political connections

[EDIT: In the best case Sam would have major influence because he'd be best friends with the King, because he'd be the guardian of Aemon Battleborn (who'll definitely get a major track of land if one is available after the Long Night), because he has the Tarly name (people who supported the Black Dragon will want someone of their group to be represented in the inner circle), because he's tight with Sarella (who for know seems to be the only adult Martell with a real chance at survival) and his sisters will probably make some pretty advantagous marriages to].

I have feeling that Tarly will be around until the Battle for the Dawn. He and Sam will have a "moment" and then Tarly will perform a brilliant tactical holding action or some other heroic but suicidal maneuver that saves everyone's bacon for a time and gives the forces of light time to regroup. I believe it will have to be something like this since so many of those characters who have been set up as great battle commanders are already dead or their futures look "iffy".

He did everything in his power to raise his son as a proper heir, but Sam frustrated every opportunity, resisting every effort made to change his nature, a self-styled craven. Sam would be a disappointment of an heir.

Not wanting to change the subject in question, It's probable that he will accompany the Tyrell in their downfall, or his will be next or possibly death. Thought I'd like Randyll to first learn about Sam the Slayer, and his deeds at the Wall.

I also believe RTarly has a significant role to play with the battles to come. He's a brilliant battle commander so he's going to join one dragon or the other for sure. But which one? Dany is fully legit and the Tarly house was Targ loyal (weren't they?). And Dany has dragons. That makes her claim even better. I think it would make really good reading for him to be her servant so to speak, but a disgruntled, woman hating pig. Then see how Dany deals with that.

It'd be far better for Randyll to live to see his son Dickon die. The thought that he shit on Sam and got rid of him as an heir, only to lose the younger son that he banked on would be pretty good. Besides, he's far too fun as a prick to not keep around.

I don't what to see Randyll Tarly go down! I can't say that I like the guy, but he seems to be doing a pretty decent job in Maidenpool. Because of him the trade is back, he is having his soldiers rebuild, he is having rapers gelded or sent to the wall. He is making Maidenpool a safe place for the smallfolks, that is exactly what the Riverlands need after all the shit that has been happening there!

Archived