So... Someone here was right after all... But who?

R. Strongolem

http://uproxx.com/tv/2014/08/george-r-r-martin-confirms-that-fans-have-correctly-predicted-the-ending-of-a-song-of-ice-and-fire/

As we can read in the link above G.R.R.M. says that he noticed in some forum that "At least one or two readers had put together the extremely subtle and obscure clues that I’d planted in the books and came to the right solution."

While he may have read in in any forum out there I think it's reasonable to assume Westeros.org is very likely the right one.

Now I got curious: who of you guys got it? :)

P.S.: /me cross fingers and hopes this is the right boards to post this...

Yeah he did say in an interview that he follows the boards here. Can't find the link now...

Even if he says that one or two guys got it right, how do we know who's right and what's right? Everyone has theories and speculations. How do we know which of them is correct?

Its even more confusing now, you know? :dunno:

Even if he says that one or two guys got it right, how do we know who's right and what's right? Everyone has theories and speculations. How do we know which of them is correct?

To find that I believe we must find theories based on "extremely subtle and obscure clues". There are many of those, but at least we can exclude many more that aren't based on such!

Maybe someone was right at one point or another but no one belongs to the fandom and has unchanging opinions. Every crackpot we dismiss, every flamefest we witness changes our ideas. So even if someone nailed I'm sure we could dig uo their post history and find a dosen theories that were completely wrong. I would be more surprised if no one had guessed it after 20 years.

Oh shit. Since every theory that doesn't utterly break the series has at least 20+ adherents here, if a theory with "one or two" supporters is probably one of those "Planetos is Earth in 3500 AD and Stannis is the reincarnation of George Washington" ones.

Of course, what this probably actually is, is GRRM toying with the fanbase. I mean, obviously someone here as predicted the ending. And not one or two people, probably a few hundred. This board fabricates around 25 new variations of theories a day. If the ending GRRM envisions right now properly follows from the narrative so far, of course people will have predicted it by now. Predicted it, discarded it, repostet it, and so on.

It's a good sign. It means that the ending actually builds on the five books released so far. That's good storytelling.

Young Prince Jon woke up with a start in his chambers late at night he yelled out for his mother the Queen Lyanna who rushed into his room. Jon explained to his mother that he had a bad dream where ice zombies attacked the realm. Now he wanted his father his grace Rhaegar who was out hunting with his good friends Robert Baratheon and Eddard stark so her grace Lyanna soothed Jon and put pleasant thoughts back in his head and whispered tomorrow you will play with all your cousins his aunt Daenerys, and uncle Viserys, Robb, Bran, Rickon, Sansa and his favorite cousin Arya so young Jon fell back asleep and Dreamed of Spring.

Young Prince Jon woke up with a start in his chambers late at night he yelled out for his mother the Queen Lyanna who rushed into his room. Jon explained to his mother that he had a bad dream where ice zombies attacked the realm. Now he wanted his father his grace Rhaegar who was out hunting with his good friends Robert Baratheon and Eddard stark so her grace Lyanna soothed Jon and put pleasant thoughts back in his head and whispered tomorrow you will play with all your cousins his aunt Daenerys, and uncle Viserys, Robb, Bran, Rickon, Sansa and his favorite cousin Arya so young Jon fell back asleep and Dreamed of Spring.

LOL, that's cheap

This is relatively old news (we have been talking about this quote on the board for at least a week or so). In the full context, it appears he is talking about something he read on his own message board around 1999. He claims he has not read any of the message boards since the late '90s.

The real debate seems to be whether by "the right solution" he means the solution to the big mystery--i.e., R+L=J or whether he means the "solution" to the basic ending of the series (such as how the conflict with the Others will be resolved). There is no way to know for sure, of course, what he really meant.

Indeed, it rather depends on whether the story you are reading is the Song of Ice and Fire or the Mystery of Jon Snow; the question being whether his parentage is something that may or may not have some bearing on the outcome of this sprawling epic - or whether everything from the Land of Always Winter to the Smoking Sea of Valyria and from the Sunset Sea to the Shadowlands beyond Asshai centres around that one issue.

Archived