Robert loved fighting , then why was he afraid of the Dothraki.

shardofNarsil

In case of an invasion he had major houses like lannister , starks ,arryn ,tully as well as highgarden probably .He also had seasoned battle commanders like Ned, Stannis,Tywin,Tarly and Blackfish.He had the royal fleet and maybe the Ironfleet and Redwyne fleets. If the Dothraki were trying to invade they would require large number of ships which will take time , the king can easily prepare their army in that time . With the help of highgarden the targ loyalist won't stand a chance . Then why was he so afraid of a Dothraki invasion.

In case of an invasion he had major houses like lannister , starks ,arryn ,tully as well as highgarden probably .He also had seasoned battle commanders like Ned, Stannis,Tywin,Tarly and Blackfish.He had the royal fleet and maybe the Ironfleet and Redwyne fleets. If the Dothraki were trying to invade they would require large number of ships which will take time , the king can easily prepare their army in that time . With the help of highgarden the targ loyalist won't stand a chance . Then why was he so afraid of a Dothraki invasion.

He was afraid of the Targaryen leading them. He knew many Targaryen loyalist would take the chance to undermine his power and rebel if Daenerys came.

He can't afford to fight intestine rebellions and Dothraki from outside, and possible treasonous friends.

That is a great point. But then he has an unreasonable hatred of all things Targaryen, and the way it was presented to him it gave him an excuse to assassinate Dany. So was it so much fear of war or was avoiding war a convenient excuse to send the knives after Dany?

It really wouldn't.

The Dothraki would have been crushed before they could do any damage.

I don't know maybe there were still Targ loyalists then again the Dothraki wouldn't just invade they'd pillage so I doubt anyone would support them.

So yeah maybe you're right

He wasn't afraid. It's just that everybody but Ned was telling him to kill her. It's exactly what he wanted to hear because he hates Targaryens, it's not about fear.

Ned knew how to bait him, though, and hence he called him a coward. He wanted Robert to change his mind by insulting his manly hammerhood.

I don't know maybe there were still Targ loyalists then again the Dothraki wouldn't just invade they'd pillage so I doubt anyone would support them.

So yeah maybe you're right

You can be sure, that the North, Westerlands, Riverlands and Stormlands would be in alliance. Most likely the Reach as well.

The Dothraki had no chance at all.

No.

This is so obviously wrong, unless you're an incredible Dany/Drogo fan you can never say this.

k

Just because he likes fighting doesn't mean he wants half his kingdom raped and killed.

you underestimate him :P

No but for real you're right.

First, the Storm lords have 30,000 men, with maybe 5,000 knights who actually have armor. The Storm lords alone could probably defeat Drogo.

Second, GRRM has confirmed something we always knew: Doran only plays games that he knows he can win. 40,000 unarmed light horse+25,000 Dornishmen can't defeat 50,000 Westermen+55,000 Northmen+30,000 Stormlanders+50,000 Valemen+100,000 Reachmen.

Third, the Dothraki can't even besiege SE, since their siege skills are shit. I seriously doubt they could take any Storm castles at all.

So Drogo loses, and badly.

No.

This is so obviously wrong, unless you're an incredible Dany/Drogo fan you can never say this.

I'm sorry but I would like to disagree.

We have seen in these very books that a leader, Stannis, who didn't have the numbers managed to outlast all of the other players of the Iron Throne of the early time.

It's true numbers have a value, but sometimes you only require a force large enough to break an equilibrium and then endure long enough so that the situation turns in your favour..

Also, it ain't like we should take for granted certain consolidated alliances, because anything could happen in the meanwhile. As we have seen, that's exactly what happened in these five books.. and indeed if Daenerys came with her Dothraki, she would have found a weakened Kingdom just like Aegon did.. so way easier to conquer.

..As imho it will be shown in the next books, Targaryen loyalist aren't limited to Dorne.. They would have been watching for Daenerys instead of Aegon. Robert forgave lots of them, but he didn't think they wouldn't turn against him if that chance opened.. cause he stripped most of them of some lands and possessions, for example.

Archived