Good fantasy page-turners

Pilusmagnus

Uh yes, and it's a bad thing. Also when you have a book writen from a 1st person pov, and said pov falls in love with the guy who beats her and rapes her, well, if I have to say more, then I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Of course it's a bad thing. But you also have countless books with POVs murdering and torturing people and the book can still be good, or am I wrong?

I never understood the idea that because it's embedded in a fictional story, then it makes it ok to cheer for the most despicable concepts (be it genocide or rape). It's even more obnoxious than the idea that because something happens all the time then it must be ok.

Just look at some people's Ice and Fire favourites:

Tyrion is a rapist, a misogynist and a murder. Still he is the favourite of most people.

Jaime has a history of incest and tried to murder a child.

Stannis burns people alive.

Daenerys let her brother die, let her army kill children, let innocent children be tortured and, wait for it: WAS RAPED BY KHAL DROGO AND FELL IN LOVE WITH HIM!

Is this so much better than what happens in Outlander?

It's not romanticized, and if this kind of behaviour titillates you, it sure says something about you.

I am pretty certain that the "lot of people" rooting for rapist Tyrion or Drogo do not include the people you are arguing against in this threat, contrary to what you seem to imply.

And again, it is not because lots of people do something that it is right.

It's not romanticized, and if this kind of behaviour titillates you, it sure says something about you.

I am pretty certain that the "lot of people" rooting for rapist Tyrion or Drogo do not include the people you are arguing against in this threat, contrary to what you seem to imply.

And again, it is not because lots of people do something that it is right.

All I want to say is, that, just because something aweful happens or characters do sick stuff in a book, doesn't mean, that it is bad. Of course it doesn't make the thing right, did I say that somewhere?

gemmell is godsawful, but everyone should read legend just for the awesome awfulness.

Hush now, of you say setting negative about Gemmell's Troy Trilogy I'm going to reach through the this phone screen and...

You're completely missing the point of the argument, aren't you? Outlander isn't being criticised because there's rape in it, it's being criticised because it tacitly condones rape.

Than I stand corrected. I haven't read the book. And if the whole point of the book is to condone rape, then it's indeed a bad book.

Than I stand corrected. I haven't read the book. And if the whole point of the book is to condone rape, then it's indeed a bad book.

Not quite condone but it does promote the idea of "It's okay to rape this person because secretly she likes it and will love me in the morning".

Danny is only raped by Drogo in the tv show.

Not quite true. The first time was not rape in the book like on the show. After that he took her when and how he wished, which was a form of marital rape. She then showed him a different way and helped make their relationship more equal.

Ok so I've read some of the novellas from Dreamsongs and they are all awesome. A Song for Lya had me make an effort because of the first person, but it was one of the most fantastic story I've ever read.

I'm getting into First Law and Dark Moon as well. Thanks guys, even though the topic has largely derived...

Archived