Sansa and Lyanna

Hey guys, I just searched for a thread on this topic and couldn't find one, so I apologize in advance if this has been discussed before (I'm sure it has):

I hereby set forth the idea that Sansa and Lyanna are more similar than Arya and Lyanna are.

Aside from the whole "wolf's blood" and their looks thing, what do Arya and Lyanna really have in common? One is a traumatized serial killer, the other was a rather romantic-type lady who fell in love with a dragon prince with a pretty voice and a silver harp.

What about Sansa, on the other hand? A highborn lady who always dreamt of her "Prince Charming" and adored songs. Who does that sound like? Lyanna.

Who was given a rose at a tourney and became a sort of "Queen of Love and Beauty"? Sansa, and, more famously, her aunt Lyanna.

Does Arya really sound like a girl who would run away with a prince? I don't think she does. But Sansa would.

Also, who seems destined to marry/be courted by a Targaryen? Sansa, with Aegon (who I think is fake but whatever). Who actually had a relationship with/might have married a Targ? Lyanna.

Discuss!

Sansa is going to be a major player in this game of thrones. I cant wait to find out the rest of her story especially since she is with Littlefinger. I think since Littlefinger is anxious to show Sansa his "genius" she is going to end up outwitting him somehow. That could only be great

Ned talked about Arya and Sansa being like the sun and the moon, so I think we will see where the sisters have more in common as the story progresses. Even in AGOT, Arya is mentioned at being much better at her lessons in running a noble household while Sansa is showing signs of remembering her wolf nature.

I agree that both girls have some strong traits inherited from their aunt, but Ned did allow Arya to learn to use a sword, which was out of the question for Lyanna.

Sansa is going to be a major player in this game of thrones. I cant wait to find out the rest of her story especially since she is with Littlefinger. I think since Littlefinger is anxious to show Sansa his "genius" she is going to end up outwitting him somehow. That could only be great

Sansa is also becoming "bastard brave" as Alayne, so it's a slight possibility she could learn a few basics on defending herself physically. As for the game of thrones, she's seeing very little benefit and a lot of downside to it and could decide it's not a game worth playing.

I agree that both girls have a bit of their aunt in them, but there is one key difference between Arya and Lyanna that everyone seems to be missing, puberty. Dispite the fact that she has had to experience certain things only a grownup should, Arya is still a child. We don't have much of an idea of what Lyanna was like at that age, or what Arya might be like in five years time. Ned however, does know.

I think that both of the current Stark girls are like Lyanna in their own ways. Sansa may not have fought off the squires or actually jousted, but I can see Arya doing either. Likewise, I can't see Arya ever tearing up over a song. Both girls demonstrate that they're willing to defend people, even if Sansa has to rely on her wits/words to do it instead of a sword.

Also, who seems destined to marry/be courted by a Targaryen? Sansa, with Aegon (who I think is fake but whatever). Who actually had a relationship with/might have married a Targ? Lyanna.

Yes, Sansa/Aegon match, get hype! Cool thread, by the way

I agree... People usually focus on Arya/Lyanna similarities when there are striking parallels between Lyanna and Sansa...

And now I will shamelessly point at my piece regarding that.

Loved that post, thanks for link. I'm also fascinated by the similarities and differences between both Stark girls and their aunt and how they play out for both girls. You brought up some great points at not only how their stories intertwine with Lyanna's, but how they will play out with the same elements but coming out with different results.

This may have already been brought up elsewhere, but it's another abduction parallel. Both girls have been abducted, but unlike Lyanna, neither one any has romantic interest in their abductors. Arya hates The Hound for what he did to Mycah, but I think at the end she did decide not to execute him for it (mitigating circumstances?) and there was a grudging but mutual respect. There's also the abduction of Sansa by Littlefinger, but thanks to the cliffhanger we have until tWOW comes out, we're only at the beginning of that story arc. Sansa is creeped out by LF. Unlike The Hound tho, his crimes are very deliberate on his part and have nothing to do with being ordered to carry them out.

Sansa and Arya both share in the traits of their aunt, just as they do with Ned and Cat both will need each other will GRRM allow that :dunno:

Sansa and FAegon doesn't fit well and may be bad for Sansa's life.

Sansa and Arya both share in the traits of their aunt, just as they do with Ned and Cat both will need each other will GRRM allow that :dunno:

Sansa and FAegon doesn't fit well and may be bad for Sansa's life.

I'm seeing a possibility of a betrothal or an attempt at one, but not an actual marriage. Even with the 5 Suitors theory brought up in Dunk and Egg, none of those ended up with a marriage either.

Hey guys, I just searched for a thread on this topic and couldn't find one, so I apologize in advance if this has been discussed before (I'm sure it has):

I hereby set forth the idea that Sansa and Lyanna are more similar than Arya and Lyanna are.

Aside from the whole "wolf's blood" and their looks thing, what do Arya and Lyanna really have in common? One is a traumatized serial killer, the other was a rather romantic-type lady who fell in love with a dragon prince with a pretty voice and a silver harp.

What about Sansa, on the other hand? A highborn lady who always dreamt of her "Prince Charming" and adored songs. Who does that sound like? Lyanna.

Who was given a rose at a tourney and became a sort of "Queen of Love and Beauty"? Sansa, and, more famously, her aunt Lyanna.

Does Arya really sound like a girl who would run away with a prince? I don't think she does. But Sansa would.

Discuss!

Yes, Sansa has a lot of parallels with Lyanna and Arya has more parallels with her uncle Brandon.

However, some of the evidence you provide is wrong IMO.

First, you compare post-Ned's death Arya to Lyanna while the comparison to Sansa is pre-Ned's death. We don't know what Arya would have grown up to be like if... and certainly, Sansa is not the naive romantic girl anymore. Neither do we know how Lyanna's character would have changed (actually, we know little about Lyanna's character...) if she had lived long enough to face the aftermath of the rebellion.

Second, the Queen of Love and Beauty parallel is superficial. Loras did not care about Sansa like at all, but unlike Rhaegar he was smart enough to keep appearances. If he was anything like Rhaegar, he would have given the rose to Renly.

Third, Arya would have run away, period. Who needs a prince? :laugh: Sansa did something like that once, when she went to Cersei because she was smitten with charming prince Jeoffrey, but I bet that now, she is not particularly fond of princes either.

Finally, I don't find the Sansa/Aegon evidence of possible forshadowing really convincing.

Second, the Queen of Love and Beauty parallel is superficial. Loras did not care about Sansa like at all, but unlike Rhaegar he was smart enough to keep appearances. If he was anything like Rhaegar, he would have given the rose to Renly.

I agree with you that comparison with Loras is wrong. But, alas, Loras didn't win the Tourney. There was another champion whose "rose" was something else... A story that marked the beginning... :)

I agree with you that comparison with Loras is wrong. But, alas, Loras didn't win the Tourney. There was another champion whose "rose" was something else... A story that marked the beginning... :)

Yes, I remember who won :)

But I don't remember anything like a rose symbolism for Sandor/Sansa in that scene... Will you remind me?

On a different note, just imagine Loras giving the rose to Renly... the moment all smiles died and all rolfs begun :laugh:

Although it would have been a very brave act in reality...

Yes, I remember who won :)

But I don't remember anything like a rose symbolism for Sandor/Sansa in that scene... Will you remind me?

On a different note, just imagine Loras giving the rose to Renly... the moment all smiles died and all rolfs begun :laugh:

Now that would have been "controversial Sansa chapter", right? :)

There was no rose symbolism, but if we say that the rose decides the Queen of love and beauty, than Sandor's rose was his story. A deeply disturbing, but private story told to the woman he fancied. That was the moment where "beauty and the beast" started...

The "iron beneath" could be a mixture of Lyanna and Catelyn.Sansa's beauty has been emphasized like Lyanna's.And Sansa was held captive in KL during War of the Five KIngs like Lyanna was in Tower of Joy during Robert's Rebellion.

And just like how Rhaegar's father killed Lyanna's father and brother, the Lannisters killed off Sansa's father, then mother and brother...

Archived