Sansa and Lyanna

I am not asking for that kind of answer - I find it necessary to those kind of questions asked. Maybe I shouldn't have used "?"...Rhetorical and all that jazz.

So, you say that parallels among characters serve the purpose of some sort of alternative, parallel universe? What would happen if X happened instead of Y? If X happened to Lyanna, you'll see Sansa in Y situation?

I understand they were rhetorical questions. But they do stand, attempting to answer this kind of questions is part of understanding a character.

And no, you got it backwards. We do see Sansa in situations that parallel Lyanna's. Sansa has a POV and several chapters of her own, we don't need those parallels so much to understand her character. We need them to (maybe) get an insight on Lyanna's. We know, for examble, what Sansa felt, what was her thought process and her motives when she went to Cersei so that she could stay in KL for Joffrey's love; this might give us a glimpse on Lyanna's relative feelings, thoughts and motives when she eloped (if she did) with Rhaegar. And so on. All those parallels could help draw a draft sketch of Lyanna.

Not saying that x% of Sansa + y% of Arya + z% of Dany + w% of Elia Sand = 100% of Lyanna, but that the parallels with characters we know more about can offer us an insight into a gererally obscure (but intriguing) character.

Yes, I see what you mean. :) That's what my Elia Sand example was about...

A fine quote popped in my twitterfeed yesterday, and I think it's appropriate for the ongoing discussion ie my PoV -

"I don't have intentions... I describe. I write. " - Borges ('twas his birthday)

If Lyanna was The Kinght of the Laughing Tree, then she has a lot in common with her son.

Both use violence when words fail:

When Lyanna comes across Howland being bullied she shouts at the squires, after that fails she uses a tourney sword.

Jon asks his fellow recruits to leave Sam alone. He then uses Ghost to threaten the guy who doesn't.

Both eat with the victim of the bullying:

Lyanna insists that Howland joins the tournament feast.

Jon invites Sam to sit with Pyp, Grenn, and him.

Both handle the matter in a secretive way:

Lyanna poses as a mystery knight

Jon speaks to Maester Aemon on Sam's behalf and never tells Sam that he has done it.

Their actions garner the attention of a Targaryen:

It is theorized that Rhaegar discovered her identity as the Laughing Tree and upon doing so fell in love with Lyanna

Jon's speech to Aemon about people are like the links of a Maester's chain greatly impresses the Maester. It was one of the biggest reasons Jon becomes Mormont's steward,imo,

They both Run away for love:

Lyanna with Rhaegar

Jon, although his attempt failed, for Robb and Ned.

They look similar and have similar interests. Also, as far as romance, I could definitely see Dany and Jon being a gender swap of Rhaegar and Lyanna.

If Lyanna was The Kinght of the Laughing Tree, then she has a lot in common with her son.

Both use violence when words fail:

When Lyanna comes across Howland being bullied she shouts at the squires, after that fails she uses a tourney sword.

Jon asks his fellow recruits to leave Sam alone. He then uses Ghost to threaten the guy who doesn't.

Both eat with the victim of the bullying:

Lyanna insists that Howland joins the tournament feast.

Jon invites Sam to sit with Pyp, Grenn, and him.

Both handle the matter in a secretive way:

Lyanna poses as a mystery knight

Jon speaks to Maester Aemon on Sam's behalf and never tells Sam that he has done it.

Their actions garner the attention of a Targaryen:

It is theorized that Rhaegar discovered her identity as the Laughing Tree and upon doing so fell in love with Lyanna

Jon's speech to Aemon about people are like the links of a Maester's chain greatly impresses the Maester. It was one of the biggest reasons Jon becomes Mormont's steward,imo,

They both Run away for love:

Lyanna with Rhaegar

Jon, although his attempt failed, for Robb and Ned.

They look similar and have similar interests. Also, as far as romance, I could definitely see Dany and Jon being a gender swap of Rhaegar and Lyanna.

The comparison between Lyanna and Jon is interesting. But I'm not too sure about Dany and Jon being a gender swap of Rhaegar and Lyanna. Dany doesn't play music. Neither is she melancholic or sullen.

The comparison between Lyanna and Jon is interesting. But I'm not too sure about Dany and Jon being a gender swap of Rhaegar and Lyanna. Dany doesn't play music. Neither is she melancholic or sullen.

I agree saying that Dany and Rhaegar are alike is a bit of a stretch, but I do see some similarities in the broad strokes. Also, Dany aspires to be like Rhaegar and seeks out similarities between the two and this, imo, makes their likenesses more pronounced. The both have events that occur at their birth( D: Robert's Rebellion; R: Tragedy at Summerhall) that help shape who they are. Dany's title, Stormbourne, helps demonstrate this. Sure she was born during a literal storm, but she also may be the only Targaryen born during the reign of the Storm Kings- I'm not sure if Jon was born before Robert officially ascended the Iron Throne.

They both are exceptionally beautiful and have a fixation with prophecy( D: Quaith, house of undying; R: Long Night, The Prince that was promised). They both have a bit of a savior complex and both end up hurting, at least for the short term, the people they are trying to save.( D: the free men of Astapor; R: He is partially responsible for causing a civil war). Both watched their parental figure descend into madness( D: Viserys; R: Aerys). Also both may have had an ulterior motive for their noble causes (D: needed an Unsullied army; R: part of the prophecy would of given Rhaegar something his family desperately desired, dragons.) They also had similar titles (D: Silver Queen; R: Silver Prince).

I agree saying that Dany and Rhaegar are alike is a bit of a stretch, but I do see some similarities in the broad strokes. Also, Dany aspires to be like Rhaegar and seeks out similarities between the two and this, imo, makes their likenesses more pronounced. The both have events that occur at their birth( D: Robert's Rebellion; R: Tragedy at Summerhall) that help shape who they are. Dany's title, Stormbourne, helps demonstrate this. Sure she was born during a literal storm, but she also may be the only Targaryen born during the reign of the Storm Kings- I'm not sure if Jon was born before Robert officially ascended the Iron Throne.

They both are exceptionally beautiful and have a fixation with prophecy( D: Quaith, house of undying; R: Long Night, The Prince that was promised). They both have a bit of a savior complex and both end up hurting, at least for the short term, the people they are trying to save.( D: the free men of Astapor; R: He is partially responsible for causing a civil war). Both watched their parental figure descend into madness( D: Viserys; R: Aerys). Also both may have had an ulterior motive for their noble causes (D: needed an Unsullied army; R: part of the prophecy would of given Rhaegar something his family desperately desired, dragons.) They also had similar titles (D: Silver Queen; R: Silver Prince).

When you put it that way, then yeah, it makes sense.

Archived