Books that make you cry

Prue

I'm re-reading Fool's Assassin by Robin Hobb at the moment, and she manages to make me cry even in a re-read. Same when I re-read the other Fitz books to prepare for the new book. I don't know how she does it, I'm a pretty jaded grown-up I thought. But Fitz gets under my skin.

Any other books that managed to make you cry?

I'm re-reading Fool's Assassin by Robin Hobb at the moment, and she manages to make me cry even in a re-read. Same when I re-read the other Fitz books to prepare for the new book. I don't know how she does it, I'm a pretty jaded grown-up I thought. But Fitz gets under my skin.

Assassin's Quest did make me kinda teary-eyed toward the end. I'm sure there have been others, but this was the most recent.

I cried like a baby. Two times that jump out at me:

First when I thought Molly's pregnancy was false and she was losing her mind. I mean, this is where only having the POV of Fitz really lends strength to the novels. When I realised she was actually giving birth I was happy, but the passages where I thought it was i. her head tore me.to pieces.

Second.time was when.Molly died. Especially when we got fitz's reaction. Blubbered like a baby, not ashamed.

Oh, amd when we met the Fool again. Godamnit, why torture the Fool, why?! :crying:

I've cried at most of the Realm of the Elderlings stuff. Although I don't think I cried at the Rain Wild Chronicles. Rapskal-Tellator was very sad imo though

Pretty close to tears in the final Harry Potter. Damn that was emotional.

Strangely, I remember the final His Dark Materials book as being upsetting as well. I cannot for the life of me remember why though.

Khaled Hosseini's book made me angry, more than upset. Perhaps it was too close to reality (based on a true story, right?)

Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett. I cried with laughter.

I found quite a bit sad about The Amber Spyglass. I haven't read it for a fair few years now though, so the details are a bit hazy, and I'm not sure i'd get the same emotional response now. Just a few things like the World of the Dead, where they leave their daemons behind, Asriel and Coulter standing against Metatron, the death of that angel (Baruch?) and Will and Lyra parting forever. I found the Subtle Knife to be more upsetting when Lee Scorseby died though.

Strangely, I remember the final His Dark Materials book as being upsetting as well. I cannot for the life of me remember why though.

Maybe because two characters who love each other as fucking hell are condemned to live apart in two different fucking parrallel universes and never ever meet again in any way possible.

I found the Subtle Knife to be more upsetting when Lee Scorseby died though.

I did not feel his death was that sad. He died accomplishing his mission, so it is actually quite satisfying. The gunfight that leads to it is a masterpiece of action writing though.

Because he turned Lyra into a useless crybaby who needed to be rescued every six seconds.

I don't remember any moment when she needed rescuing.

I think you should give it a second chance. Take into consideration that she fell in love with Will from the first moment and that may affect her badass personnality when she's with him.

Archived