Books that make you cry

Prue

The epilogue of 'The Price Of Spring' (final book of The Long Price Quartet). From the moment Danat starts reading Otah's letter to the end. I just read these few pages again now and even jumping to it out of context it has my eyes filled with tears. The first time I read it I could barely read through the blurring, it took me 10 minutes to finish.

Daniel Abraham in general is good at getting me (Hi Dan if you follow Joe into this thread), there's been at least one moment in each Expense book that's gotten me which had his fingerprints all over them, but this epilogue is just perfect, beautiful and painful.

Kant's Prolegamena to any Future Metaphysics made me weep like a baby.

I jest.

It's random stuff, really. I cried when (Dark Tower spoiler follows)

Oy died.

Also a few times during ASoIaF but mostly while drinking heavily (I've noticed that seems to be the common denominator with the water works). I think Kerouac got the tears going a couple of times too but that was when I was young and vulnerable and now I kind of feel taken advantage of. Oh and Garcia Marquez has got my card on too, even dead sober I can't help it.

And Sonny's Blues by Baldwin always gets me a bit choked up.

It's random stuff, really. I cried when (Dark Tower spoiler follows)

Oy died.

Ah, fuck, man.

Dark Horse Comics put out a book of graphic adaptations of some Andrew Vachess' short stories... Some dark and twisted shit, but the story Dead Game, shit, I can't think of more brutal, horribly gut-wrenching story I've ever read.

I don't cry often, but I cried on:

Sansa's last chapter in A Storm of Swords.

The ending of Memories of Ice.

The last two chapters of The Crippled God, I read them both through tears :lol:

Stormy, Gesler, Tavore, the Bridgeburners, the Bonehunters, the Letherii, the dog, the Malazan regulars, Fiddler and Hedge...

The ending of Reaper's Gale made me so fucking upset. I didn't cry, but it made me so sad, everything seemed so pointless and so unfair in a very overwhelming way. It took me weeks to get over it.

I'm re-reading Fool's Assassin by Robin Hobb at the moment, and she manages to make me cry even in a re-read. Same when I re-read the other Fitz books to prepare for the new book. I don't know how she does it, I'm a pretty jaded grown-up I thought. But Fitz gets under my skin.

Any other books that managed to make you cry?

Robin Hobb is an emotionally manipulative witch. Assassin's Quest got me, but fuck, Fool's Errand, fuck, I mean seriously that shit wrecked me for at least a week, and I don't even like dogs. I couldn't even think about the book without losing it. Fucking waterworks. I think she even got me a couple of times in that godawful Soldier Son Trilogy.

Flowers for Algernon.

Yep.

The epilogue of 'The Price Of Spring' (final book of The Long Price Quartet). From the moment Danat starts reading Otah's letter to the end. I just read these few pages again now and even jumping to it out of context it has my eyes filled with tears. The first time I read it I could barely read through the blurring, it took me 10 minutes to finish.

Most definitely. So beautiful.

Lois McMaster Bujold has got me a couple of times with the Vorkosigan Saga - sometimes crying because I'm laughing so hard (A Civil Campaign), and sometimes because, well if you've read them all you know what I'm talking about, and I know there's a lot of people reading them for the first time right now on the board, so I don't even want to say the name of the book, but damn - it was telegraphed throughout the entire book and even though I knew it was coming it was still nearly impossible to read.

Shit, I think Charlie Huston even got me at the end of the Henry Thompson Trilogy.

The mention of the Dark-Tower-series made me think of one of the scenes that made me wanna destroy the world.

Wizard and Glass (Dark Tower #4)

"No. Stephen. You can't do this to me. No. Roland will save her. He will save her. HE WILL SAVE HER. NOOOOOOO. I'M GONNA BURN YOUR FUCKING HOUSE DOWN, STEPHEN. I'M GONNA KILL EVERYONE YOU LOVE. YOU CANNOT DO THIS TO ME!!!"

I made an almost inhuman growl and threw the book against the wall. I've rarely been this pissed in my life. :D

Maybe because two characters who love each other as fucking hell are condemned to live apart in two different fucking parrallel universes and never ever meet again in any way possible.

aaaaaaahhhhh nooooo - you're bringing back my teenage emotions whilst reading this. TEARS, TEARS EVERYWHERE.

ETA: on the subject of dogs.

I remember crying in The Eyes Of The Dragon when that dog gets stones. Had to put the book down for a bit as my 12 yr old self imagined my dogg getting hurt like that and bawling my eyes out.

Archived