Books that make you cry

Prue

karaddin,

The epilogue of 'The Price Of Spring' (final book of The Long Price Quartet). From the moment Danat starts reading Otah's letter to the end. I just read these few pages again now and even jumping to it out of context it has my eyes filled with tears. The first time I read it I could barely read through the blurring, it took me 10 minutes to finish.

Daniel Abraham in general is good at getting me (Hi Dan if you follow Joe into this thread), there's been at least one moment in each Expense book that's gotten me which had his fingerprints all over them, but this epilogue is just perfect, beautiful and painful.

That was quite moment. It got to me too. Another, for me, was in The Wise Man's Fear when Kvothe was describing the pain of remembering, with perfect clarity, the small moments he'd lost after his mother was murdered.

Isn't it going to be more of a companion book, like AWoIaF?

No. Well, yes, it will be a companion book, but not like TWoIaF. It will tell an actual story with Lyra as the main character, while The World of Ice and Fire will be more like an history book, as far as I know.

The epilogue of 'The Price Of Spring' (final book of The Long Price Quartet). From the moment Danat starts reading Otah's letter to the end. I just read these few pages again now and even jumping to it out of context it has my eyes filled with tears. The first time I read it I could barely read through the blurring, it took me 10 minutes to finish.

Daniel Abraham in general is good at getting me (Hi Dan if you follow Joe into this thread), there's been at least one moment in each Expense book that's gotten me which had his fingerprints all over them, but this epilogue is just perfect, beautiful and painful.

Yep, yep, yep, completely agree on all points. Speaking of Abraham, there's a couple moments from Dagger & Coin that get me too, notably when Cithrin says, "Because you gave me a plant." It's amazing what a little basic human kindness will get you.

Well I was only about that age when I read it...

yeah that's what makes it so poignant; there's no point denying children their feelings or downplaying them and of course when youre a child yourself reading stories about other children it resonates, of course it's sad.

I've never cried while reading, but His Dark Materials came quite close to breaking me when I was 11 (one instant that hasn't been mentioned is Will's reaction to his father's death). The Hedge Knight was unexpectedly sad too and I've been affected by many passages from ASoIaF.

yeah that's what makes it so poignant; there's no point denying children their feelings or downplaying them and of course when youre a child yourself reading stories about other children it resonates, of course it's sad.

Exactly. It was probably one of it not my first experiences of that sort of thing in literature so I remember it hitting me hard. I gave my brother the books after me and remember when he got to that point him just looking at me all sad and disgusted with me for making him read it lol.

I can't remember if I literally cried but I was pretty close with both this and Flowers for Algernon.

I read that when I was sixteen, and trying to be a tough kid, in the '70's, and yeah, it made me really have to work to not fall apart.

Yep, yep, yep, completely agree on all points. Speaking of Abraham, there's a couple moments from Dagger & Coin that get me too, notably when Cithrin says, "Because you gave me a plant." It's amazing what a little basic human kindness will get you.

I find the dagger and coin hits me in the feels big time, but not as much so in the tearful way. I have to admit that the end of The Widows House got me pretty close a couple of times in the last 2 chapters and the epilogue.

Despite my deep seated loathing of Geder, I think he's a fantastic character and that whispering into the babies head...worked. It really worked.

Also coming across the young Timzinae that had a crush in Cithrin who had been stabbed in the epilogue...he didn't die, but that got me pretty upset too.

In a non teary way, the end of Cithrin's chapter also got me on an emotional level.

My favourite single moment from the series though is Yardem pointing out to Cithrin that her memory was wrong and he didn't say what she thought he said. That is a beautiful piece of writing that really moved me.

Archived