Books that make you cry

Prue

Ha! some think he was the inspiration.

Well, the obvious inspiration for both was the real Johann Georg Faustus.

And Goethe took some inspiration from Marlowe, sure.

But I really do like Goethes Faust. Eventhough, here in Germany, you have to read it again and again from the 11th to the 13th grade. :D

Only books that have made me actually cry are, of course, good ole Robin Hobb.

Seriously. this new book is like being kicked in the crotch with THE SUN.

As every one else has mentioned, the end of TLPQ came very close.

Other than that, I can't really thing of any. I'm a mean, cold hearted bastard.

The scenes that make me tear up are the ones where characters go out and fight for what's right even when there's no hope of victory or survival. David Gemmell was not a subtle writer by any means but he was a master at creating that kind of scene.

SPOILERS:

Sword in the Storm - Ruathain, the aging chieftain of the Rigante, goes into battle to fight by his son Connavar's side knowing that his heart could give out at any moment. He saves his son's life and the Rigante win with terrible losses, but Ruathain's heart fails at the moment of victory. Connavar discovers him sitting in the fading evening light with his eyes closed and a smile on his face.

Ravenheart - Alterith Shaddler acting as defense attorney for Maev Ring in a sham trial, even as the prosecution's hired thugs threaten his life. Unlike regular Gemmell heroes he is a skinny schoolteacher with no fighting skills, but he stands up for the truth and shows more moral courage than anyone else in the book.

Barry Hughart's Bridge of Birds has a big tear-jerking ending as well.

Archived