5 Reasons Why I Think a Sansa/Aegon Match is Coming

Good Guy Garlan

Interesting foreshadowing. I would like Sansa to end up happily married, but I don't think Sansa and Aegon are meant to be.

Aegon needs a bride that can provide him with the full resources and army of a great house. He is in a war now, he needs a bride with connections that are useful now. While Sansa has a powerful name, the North and Riverlands are currently being run by her enemies and have taken so much damage that even if her supporters regained control, they couldn't offer much help to Aegon. And Sansa's connection to the Vale is tenuous. Would they really go to war for Jon Arryn's wife's niece's husband?

And Sansa would look tarnished to Aegon. Ned was part of the coalition that tried to kill him. Sansa was betrothed to Joffrey and married to Tyrion, so she's strongly tainted by Lannister association. And Sansa is still married, so there is a legal barrier. And worse, she's married to a man who is widely considered to be an evil imp, a demon monkey. To be crude, Aegon probably wouldn't want Tyrion's seconds and wouldn't want to be seen having the woman that Tyrion previously had.

Further, Littlefinger really seems to want Sansa for himself, and who knows if he'd throw his support behind Aegon. And Sansa might not want to jump back into the center of the civil war, or into a new political marriage.

The North and the Riverlands could still pump soldiers out if necessary, like the Manderly forces, for instance. And Sansa's connection to the Vale is anything but tenous: she's the only person Sweetrobin obeys, and I think she'll play a big role in LF's downfall, which would ingratiate her with Bronze Royce and his supporters.

Yeah, Ned was a big part of the Rebellion, but not even JonCon thinks badly of him (his anger is mostly aimed at the Baratheons and Lannisters), and the pragmatic and smart thing to do would be to focus on the current war rather than previous grievances. And for all they know Tyrion is dead. Even JonCon says so

Perhaps another similarity... if Aegon is paired with Arianne and subsequently becomes enamored with Sansa, we have a repeat of Rhaegar, Elia, Lyanna.

Very true! Good point!

First, the Ashford Tourney comparison has the biggest stretches I have seen.

Second, I think Sansa will try to take her destiny in her own hands by escaping her arranged marriage but that does not necessarily mean that she will need to be saved by a dragon. I think she will be betrayed by Shadrich.

Third, Ser Shadrich is likely to be a former sellsword who works for the one who pays him. He just talked about the reward put on Sansa by Varys. That does not show that he works for him. In fact, he should not have talked about Varys at all if he was really his agent.

Fourth, the North and Riverlands are in complete disarray and can offer little to none help to fAegon's campaign. Dorne OTOH is close to the action at the Reach and it is untouched by the Wot5K and is at full reserves and much more defendable than Riverlands. Besides, it is crucial for fAegon to be recognized by his uncle otherwise, none would believe his claim. Rickon’s survival is not known in the South.

Fifth, I think the narrative and character development of Sansa shows that she will return to KL as a hostage of Cersei again to face her biggest fear and get over with it.

For me, fAegon-Arianne marriage is a given.

Fifth, I think the narrative and character development of Sansa shows that she will return to KL as a hostage of Cersei again to face her biggest fear and get over with it.

Please, don't take this the wrong way, because I really mean no offense, but this is one of the most ridiculous and implausible theories I've seen in a while and I'd eat Martin's hat if this is where he is taking the story.

I agree about the part of Sansa not needing to be saved, though. I think by the time Aegon shows up, Sansa will have things in the Vale under control.

I doubt Sansa/fAegon marriage

1) Remember that both of their fathers fought each other during RR, and responsible for overthrowing the Targ dynasty=so not going to go well already

2) LF will not want Varys to get one over him, and most likely LF wants Sansa for himself

3) Sansa cannot provide any troops for fAegon, due to the North supporting Stannis, and even when getting Rickon back. The North have to focus their strength on the WW threat, and the Northern bannermen will not give a dam about some fake Targ and his war

4) Even though Sansa is unspoiled from Tyrion, he will not want the wife of someone involved in regicide, even though he wants the Lannister/Baratheon dynasty overthrown, and remember Tyrion and Sansa are still married, so she is already taken

5) fAegon is more likely to marry Myrcella than Sansa. My first bet would be Arianne, however something else could happen, rr he could marry Ms. Black Widow Marg and will get the kiss of death

I doubt Sansa/fAegon marriage

1) Remember that both of their fathers fought each other during RR, and responsible for overthrowing the Targ dynasty=so not going to go well already

5) fAegon is more likely to marry Myrcella than Sansa.

Do you remember that Myrcella's "father" was the one who actually killed Aegon's, right?

Ned, otoh, was mad because of the (alleged) death of Aegon and his sister.

I think some sort of Sansa/Aegon match is possible, and I do like the idea of it for all the potential parallels and ironies (such as Cersei wishing to marry the Targaryen prince and ending up with the Baratheon king while Sansa wished to marry the “Baratheon” prince and winds up with the “Targaryen” king) the pairing could produce.

That being said, Sansa/Aegon living happily ever after is not going to happen. And during that short time they’re together, I doubt it will become the love story that Sansa has been wanting. I have a feeling Aegon will be far more enamored with Sansa than she with him.

Also I don’t think the arrangement (whatever it is) between Aegon and Arianne will prevent Aegon/Sansa from happening. In fact, I think Aegon and Arianne being married or betrothed makes Aegon/Sansa more likely. Besides adding to the history repeats itself theme, marriage/betrothal didn’t prevent Aegon II, Aemond, Rhaegar, Robb Stark, and so many others from straying.

Yea basically let's ship Aegon with every female character in the ASOIAFverse?

I said pairing/interaction cowboy, you do know that a boy and a girl can be just friends, without having any romantic feeling between them? That's the category in which aegon/shireen, and aegon / arya fall. And those would be interesting, like jon/melisandre, stannis / asha ,etc.

Archived