5 Reasons Why I Think a Sansa/Aegon Match is Coming

Good Guy Garlan

GRRM made the sun rise in the West and set in the East to bring about the Arianne and Aegon match.

Varys saved Tyrion, believes he has Tyrion onside enough to reveal Aegon to him and put him in his party. Sansa is married to Tyrion. That Varys would be making marriage plans for Sansa and Aegon is senseless.

Sansa may seduce a married Aegon and play his mistress or temptress for political influence.

I agree and have been saying all along, when Jon Connington mentions the Vale has fresh armies and they discuss reaching out to them for alliance as they say Dorne is not enough. Littlefinger controls the Vale and would like to get their armies out of there where they want to basically string him up, it is a win win for him.

Y'all forgetting something, Dany and her dragons! That is a total game changer in warfare. So long as she is still on the table Aegon isn't marry any one

I think the rumors about Dany's death will reach Westeros soon enough, and then JonCon/Varys will decide it's pointless to keep on waiting a dead girl when they urgently need allies

GRRM made the sun rise in the West and set in the East to bring about the Arianne and Aegon match.

Varys saved Tyrion, believes he has Tyrion onside enough to reveal Aegon to him and put him in his party. Sansa is married to Tyrion. That Varys would be making marriage plans for Sansa and Aegon is senseless.

Sansa may seduce a married Aegon and play his mistress or temptress for political influence.

It's not senseless if all the other plans start falling apart. If there's one thing we know of Varys is that he's great at improvising. And look how pieces are falling: Tyrion is missing, maybe even Varys thinks he's dead somewhere on Volantis, Dany is missing too. That only leaves Dorne, and soon enough people are going to realize Dorne is not enough to take the IT. Besides, Arianne doesn't have to marry Aegon if they're supposed to be cousins.

There are several problems with this idea that people are overlooking.

1. Arianne Martell from her sample chapters from TWoW has shown a desire to become Queen. This was when she thinking that she can't image her brother being King, as well as when she was talking with Daemon Sand. She is about to go meet with Aegon Blackfyre or Targaryen while Sansa is stuck in the Vale. In story people are doubting that Aegon is really her nephew her father Doran among them so they have no reason to support him unless it is proven that he is their blood relative. So it up to Arianne to say ya or nay to him being her nephew, and to see if he get Dorne on his side. Now Arianne is a 25 year old woman who knows how to seduce a man or a woman, and she is going up a boy who is in puberty that he has probably never talked to a woman he wasn't raise by let alone on that has shown interest in him. So he is most likely going to do what Robb did fall head over heels in love with her or at least sleep with her then marry her shortly after because of honor.

2. We already have found out about Littlefingers plan from Sansa's Chapters from Book 5. He's going to marry her to Harry the Heir in order to get her control of the Vale. After which they well use the Vale's force to reclaim the Riverlands and the North in the name of Sansa Hardying nee Stark. Now he might change his plan later on but for the moment that is his plan. Now let look at how his plan works through the Valelords eye. They know that he's plotting something and at the moment he want to put the Vale under his control. To do that he has to keep Robert Arryn alive, and this natural born daughter he pull out of somewhere to marry the most likely heir to the Vale in order to strength his control over the Vale. He has also already told Sansa the he has already arraigned a betrothal between the two by the end of book five. Now to suddenly pull out of that betrothal after clearly poring a lot of money down Lady Waynwood's purse in her dowry is going to seems suspicions. Would it not?

3. Sansa's swords, yes she in theory has the Vale's, the Riverland's, and the North's force with in her right because she has Tully and Stark blood but none of them are under her control at the time of Book 5. The riverlands are more or less in the Frey hands, the North is in Bolton's hands(didn't Jon C. consider allying with him?), and the Vale is Littlefinger hands by being regent to little Robin (he is most likely consider a Lannister crony though). All of those people are consider Lannister allies and hold those lands because of the power of the Lannister-Tyrell alliance.So while it is true that by Aegon marrying Sansa he would get more out of it than Marrying Arianne for Dorne the problem is that they would have to over throw the overlords of each of the areas as well as go through the Tyrell army in King's Landing. At this time Aegon's forces have to contend with trying to conquer the Stormlands, while trying to gain an alliance with Dorne, try to win over some of the Reachlords, deal with the ironborn, and all the while worry about what would happen if the armies in King's Landing came down and crushed them. The problem is Aegon need sword now not later which is what the Martell marriage provides.

4. Jon could be consider Sansa targaryen. Romantic or not he is one of the few people she truly would love to see again, also he is one of the few people left who would protect her for who she is and not for her claim. If Jon leaves the Wall to try to unite the Seven Kingdoms against the Others the place he would most likely go would be The North The Riverlands and The Vale also if you consider GNC true he'll probably get them. This means he'll probably be more likely to go to the Vale then Aegon who have to focus wining over the more southern Kingdoms meaning he has a more likelihood of seeing her.

5. No one other than Littlefinger and his mot trusted men know who or where she is. If Aegon where to met her he wouldn't know anything about other than she Littlefinger's bastard unless she or Littlefinger tell him otherwise. Jon on the other hand grew up with Sansa and knows what her mother looks like so he more likely to recognize her. If nothing else ghost might be able to recognize her if Jon can't with some warg direwolf sense thing.

snip

1. Yes, Arianne could have Aegon wrapped around her finger, but JonCon will be there to stop her. And like I said several times upthread, Aegon doesn't have to marry her to get the spears of Dorne, he only has to convince Doran that he is in fact his nephew. Sure, Arianne would push for the marriage, but JonCon/Varys could see it as unnecessary

2. The fact that LF spelled out his entire plan, details and all, means the whole thing is destined to fail. That's Fiction 101. Coupled with some other hints here and there of Sansa probably outwitting LF, and then we'll have him out of the Vale soon enough. The entire Harry plot has "red herring" written all over it.

3. Like I said, I think a combination of Sansa/Royce will take care of LF, so that frees the Vale. I highly doubt the Boltons will be able to survive Stannis, Rickon, and a potentially resurrected and pissed-off Jon. As for the Riverlands, there's plenty of foreshadowing of the Brotherhood planning a red wedding in Riverrun.

4. I don't see anything in Jon's or Sansa's chapters that suggests a potentially romantic union

5. The Mad Mouse probably knows about Sansa, and he's likely working for Varys

1. Yes, Arianne could have Aegon wrapped around her finger, but JonCon will be there to stop her. And like I said several times upthread, Aegon doesn't have to marry her to get the spears of Dorne, he only has to convince Doran that he is in fact his nephew. Sure, Arianne would push for the marriage, but JonCon/Varys could see it as unnecessary

It personally hurts me* that people often assume a marriage with Aegon just because Arianne daydreams about it and because Aegon apparently needs her and Dorne. But Aegon's people never think about it for a minute in the sense of having her as a "plan B" in case Doran doesn't believe them and in fact, suggest Arianne's for a different alliance. Because it's a funny convenience that Jon has greyscale. Otherwise, he definitely has no excuses.

(*overdramatic too much?)

It personally hurts me* that people often assume a marriage with Aegon just because Arianne daydreams about it and because Aegon apparently needs her and Dorne. But Aegon's people never think about it for a minute in the sense of having her as a "plan B" in case Doran doesn't believe them and in fact, suggest Arianne's for a different alliance. Because it's a funny convenience that Jon has greyscale. Otherwise, he definitely has no excuses.

(*overdramatic too much?)

Exactly. I mean, I think Doran would severely ask for a marriage if (and only if) he finds out Aegon is fake. But he sent Arianne to figure out this information on her own, and I very much doubt she's going to find proofs of Aegon's illegitimacy. In fact, she probably wants him to be real so damn much that she's already convinced he is.

1.Until proved otherwise, he is, so I'm working under that the assumption he is real. Besides, I assume people in Westeros will consider him one real, whether he is or not.

fixed :smoking:

2. Ned was only a traitor for the Lannister regime, which Aegon is also trying to overthrow. And because the daughter in question is the embodiment of Hoster Tully's cleverness: she's the sister of the rightful lord of Winterfell, niece of the rightful lord of Riverrun, and cousin of the rightful lord of the Eyrie. In other words, she's a political jackpot

All good and true, but didn't Net rebel against the Targaryen regime as well? Put it as you like it, his men and deeds contributed to the downfall of house Targaryen.

All good and true, but didn't Net rebel against the Targaryen regime as well? Put it as you like it, his men and deeds contributed to the downfall of house Targaryen.

Doran really doesn't mind that much about the rebellion, as far as we know. He's not avenging the Targaryens but his own blood: Elia and her kids.

fixed :smoking:

Fixed what? Ugh, are you seriously going all Grammar Nazi on me? Do people still do that?

I think if any the Tourney of Ashford indicates that Aegon will get greyscale. Valarr died of the great spring sickness like his grandfather. Aegon will die from greyscale like his mother (imo) Serra. Valarr also showed no personal interest in the girl from the tourney and married someone else. He died with no heirs as I think Aegon will as well.

I also think if it implies anything given the pattern it's negative. Joffrey Baratheon killed her father. Was abusive and never married her. Willas Tyrell was never said to have any personal interest in her and didn't marry her. The Tyrells dropped her as if she was on fire. Willas also never met Sansa so this doesn't mean Sansa will meet Aegon.Tyrion did marry her but it was forced and she didn't want him. He thinks of her as false in ADWD. I think he's attracted to her but doesn't like her. Harry the Heir I doubt she'd keep his interest given the original pattern. He will likely die as the Hardying also died.

Then you get to the Targ. Given the pattern it's all negative and men who weren't in love with Sansa and turned on her.

Exactly. I mean, I think Doran would severely ask for a marriage if (and only if) he finds out Aegon is fake. But he sent Arianne to figure out this information on her own, and I very much doubt she's going to find proofs of Aegon's illegitimacy. In fact, she probably wants him to be real so damn much that she's already convinced he is.

If we're talking about people deluding themselves, then I suppose Doran could do the same too, specially after hearing news of his son's death, as Aegon is the only thing left of Elia. And considering Doran is kind of a bit smarter than Arianne (heh heh heh) he will realise that marrying them would make others think the boy is fake, whether he believes that or not. Arianne's hand could serve to make more alliances as they only have Stormlands and Dorne, officially at least.

I wonder if that's the reason why Willas has been kept single so far, to make him a possible match for Arianne.

If we're talking about people deluding themselves, then I suppose Doran could do the same too, specially after hearing news of his son's death, as Aegon is the only thing left of Elia. And considering Doran is kind of a bit smarter than Arianne (heh heh heh) he will realise that marrying them would make others think the boy is fake, whether he believes that or not. Arianne's hand could serve to make more alliances as they only have Stormlands and Dorne, officially at least.

I wonder if that's the reason why Willas has been kept single so far, to make him a possible match for Arianne.

I think so, yes. Arianne or Asha are the likeliest candidates, IMO (and I hope it's the latter :))

Fixed what? Ugh, are you seriously going all Grammar Nazi on me? Do people still do that?

Woah, if you paid any attention, there was no grammar correction there.

Doran really doesn't mind that much about the rebellion, as far as we know. He's not avenging the Targaryens but his own blood: Elia and her kids.

Agreed that this is possible, I was just providing contradicting evidence to the quoted sentence.

I think so, yes. Arianne or Asha are the likeliest candidates, IMO (and I hope it's the latter :))

I can't see Doran letting his daughter marry the heir to Highgarden - that might make the Tyrells think they can rule Dorne. Same for Asha really, I can't really see the Iron born allying with the Tyrells, unless you have a notion of how this would work?

I think Arianne's hand could be used to make further alliances though but I'm not sure who with. Maybe a second son of a Tyrells banner man?

Archived