Malazan II

Michael Seswatha Jordan

Yay! A new thread. A good place to talk about anything Malazan, either Erikson or Esslemont, the established co-creators of the world.

I am almost halfway through Dust of Dreams. Next up, The Crippled God finale, and then ICE's Blood & Bone and Assail.

I finished Midnight Tides a few weeks ago. Haven't yet had time to start the Bonehunters. I hear that the series starts to go downhill from here on out.

So far, I really enjoyed Books 2,4, and 5 much more than 1 and 3.

You might've heard that, but those rumors would be wrong! The Bonehunters is one of my favorite yet! The conclusion is awesome!

Yay! A new thread. A good place to talk about anything Malazan, either Erikson or Esslemont, the established co-creators of the world.

I am almost halfway through Dust of Dreams. Next up, The Crippled God finale, and then ICE's Blood & Bone and Assail.

After DoD

The Crippled God

Orb, Scepter, Throne

Blood and Bone

Assail (its either out, or will be by the time I get to it.)

Forge of Darkness

Book 6 (Bonehunters) is fantastic. I also think Book 8 (Toll the Hounds) is fantastic but it has a mixed reception. I can't speak for 9 or 10 yet.

Regardless, opinions differ so much that you shouldn't worry about what you have heard. The negative perception of the second half is nowhere need the negative reaction to Jordan's middle books or even the last two Martin books.

Also, if you are considering augmenting your read with the ICE books, you should read Night of Knives now, before Bonehunters.

After DoD

The Crippled God

Orb, Scepter, Throne

Blood and Bone

Assail (its either out, or will be by the time I get to it.)

Forge of Darkness

Sorry for the double post. I did not notice this.

Assail is out. I personally decided to wait for the Kharkanas trilogy to be completed before starting Forge of Darkness.

Overall, I liked the second half better than the first, but most people prefer the first.

The Bonehunters has two "climaxes", one early in the book, and the ending. It's an amazing book, and it's definitely the beginning of the end.

Reaper's Gale is the darkest and the funniest book in the series. I laughed out loud in several ocassions.

Toll the Hounds is melancholic, sad and heavy on philosophy and introspection, which I loved. It's my second or third favorite, I find it hard to point out exactly why. The ending is probably the best in the series.

Dust of Dreams is the buildup for The Crippled God, and it's an excellent first half. There's a scene that's probably the worst thing I've ever read, it made me physically uncomfortable. The ending is fantastic, and it makes you have to read TCG right away.

The Crippled God is a very satisfying conclusion to the series, and like I said in another thread it has some of the most poignant scenes in the series, I cried more with this book than with any other book, ever. :lol:

I love all of them except DoD, which I just really liked. But yes, opinions on which is good/best or even if the series is good/crap/brilliant/shit/not shit are all over the place. Very few people have a mild reaction to Malazan, you either love it or hate it.

Also they were all written to have, er, not complete arcs, but to have clear endings, with the exception of DoD/TCR which was intended to be one really long arc.

Well we're all in the same boat TWOWwise.

Not even remotely; Erikson was pumping these things out every year and a half or so at the worst.

Remember, GotM was first published in 1999... just a few months after A Clash of Kings. :(

I finished Midnight Tides a few weeks ago. Haven't yet had time to start the Bonehunters. I hear that the series starts to go downhill from here on out.

So far, I really enjoyed Books 2,4, and 5 much more than 1 and 3.

MT was my favorite, but I still enjoyed the next two as well.

You are all lucky bastards. I read these things as they were released. :P

Same here but TTH made me quit. I fear I would be too confused if I tried to jump back in again and a reread of all that is too daunting. This little tyke crawling around in our home has really cut into my reading time.

Same here but TTH made me quit. I fear I would be too confused if I tried to jump back in again and a reread of all that is too daunting. This little tyke crawling around in our home has really cut into my reading time.

I'm there with you. They just aren't conducive to binge reading. :lol:

Archived