Malazan II

Michael Seswatha Jordan

Shit.

Wrapping up Memories of Ice now. A very different kind of punch in the gut than Deadhouse Gates, but no less heart wrenching. I'll try to add some spoiler-y thoughts later, but for now I just need to cry into my beer and mourn one of the fucking good ones.

Double fuck.

Shit.

Wrapping up Memories of Ice now. A very different kind of punch in the gut than Deadhouse Gates, but no less heart wrenching. I'll try to add some spoiler-y thoughts later, but for now I just need to cry into my beer and mourn one of the fucking good ones.

Double fuck.

If you make it through MoI, I feel that's when your hooked. That's asking a lot of someone who just don't like the first two books though.

Shit.

Double fuck.

Not sure why, but MoI did nothing for me. When said event happened I didn't care at all.

However

I'm nearing the end of Reapers Gale and even though the character was minor I found Beak's entire story to be very emotional. Same goes for Toc.

Learn to live with the loss, Trake. We do.

Memories of Ice was the book that made me think that Malazan would become my favorite series ever. Everything about it was perfect.

<post>

The second part is kinda spoilery, for people who haven't read that book yet, I think...

Memories of Ice was the book that made me think that Malazan would become my favorite series ever. Everything about it was perfect.

The second part is kinda spoilery, for people who haven't read that book yet, I think...

You right you right.

You right you right.

If you make it through MoI, I feel that's when your hooked. That's asking a lot of someone who just don't like the first two books though.

Almost done with MoI, the series are straining my ability to focus while listening to audiobooks, but I shall persevere!

Man, how the fuck do I go from absolutely hating Karsa (as basically a gigantic, raping murdering Holden Caufield type, despicable and annoying) to sympathizing with him, To damn near rooting for him in less than 200 pages.

Is it because he is basically Conan at this point?

Man, how the fuck do I go from absolutely hating Karsa (as basically a gigantic, raping murdering Holden Caufield type, despicable and annoying) to sympathizing with him, To damn near rooting for him in less than 200 pages.

Is it because he is basically Conan at this point?

Oh, IMHO he just gets better and better. Yea, he sucked when we first meet him and the things he did. But, he progressed into one of my favorite characters.

Oh, IMHO he just gets better and better. Yea, he sucked when we first meet him and the things he did. But, he progressed into one of my favorite characters.

Yeah, he went through a pretty rapid maturation process, and Torvald seems to have been a positive influence....

But now that I know who he is, I'm conflicted again. I wasn't a huge (heh) fan when I first encountered his character... earlier, but I'm guessing knowing his "origin story" will warm me up to the guy as a whole.

I'm thinking of taking a little break and reading Max Brooks's Zombie Survival Guide. I'm kinda iffy heading into TTH since so many people seem to hate it so much.

Wouldn't recommend taking breaks from the Malazan books until after The Crippled God. It's sometimes hard to remember all the stuff that's happening even when your not keeping any breaks (Perhaps less so in TtH, though as most of the POVs are known to the reader) Also, I don't think TtH is hated by people. There's a poll on the Malazan Empire site for what's the best book in the series and TtH is on second place after MoI (http://forum.malazanempire.com/topic/27653-favorite-malazan-book-from-se-ice/ There's not too many votes on the list, but it's something). Also, it's a nearly universally accepted fact that it has the best ending in the series.

Wouldn't recommend taking breaks from the Malazan books until after The Crippled God. It's sometimes hard to remember all the stuff that's happening even when your not keeping any breaks (Perhaps less so in TtH, though as most of the POVs are known to the reader) Also, I don't think TtH is hated by people. There's a poll on the Malazan Empire site for what's the best book in the series and TtH is on second place after MoI (http://forum.malazanempire.com/topic/27653-favorite-malazan-book-from-se-ice/

Wow. I am stunned by this.

Very few votes though in that poll though. Personally I just don't understand how people can like such an incredibly tedious book as TtH.

Stole the words out of my mouth. Definitely best ending of the series.

I prefer the endings of most other novels, honestly. MoI especially.

Wow. I am stunned by this.

Very few votes though in that poll though. Personally I just don't understand how people can like such an incredibly tedious book as TtH.

I prefer the endings of most other novels, honestly. MoI especially.

I must say that, personally, TtH isn't my favorite and would rank only around halfway through my listing. The ending was great though, that I won't deny. Also, MoI has also one of the best endings ever, can't really decide which one is better.

Archived