Malazan II

Michael Seswatha Jordan

The first time through TtH I didn't like it very much at all. It would probably have ranked second worst in the series (ahead of GotM). But when I reread it, I found it just got better and better. Now it is definitely in the top half of my favourite books. It is a very different style to the rest of the series and it can take a little adjustment after reading BH and RG, but I agree about the ending - it is fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2014/11/new-release-interview-steven-erikson-his-willful-child.html

Shawn Speakman: What are you working on now? Don’t you have a new Malazan book coming out in early 2015?

Steven Erikson: I’m finally closing in on completing Fall of Light, Book Two of the Kharkanas Trilogy. Once that’s done, I’ll be doing another Bauchelain and Korbal Broach novella. And, depending on the reader response to Willful Child, I have its follow-up novel revved up on the starting line, raring to go. It’s called The Wrath of Betty.

• 3 weeks later...

TtH was my second favorite of the series, the first being Midnight Tides. I think it was because I fell in love with Gardens from the get-go, and TtH was kind of a sequel. Oh, and the stuff with Nimander's group and the...was it the Dying God? Dead God? It had a great horror vibe.

Darth, I'd argue the best book ever written is the sole province of Bakker.

How's TTH coming along? Haven't seen any updates from ya...,.

Im about 250 pages into it. So far im not passing judgement on it one way or the other. Its nice to see the Tiste Andii again, I dont really care for Nimander and Co though, but as mentioned by The Reckoner, The Dying God

same being as The Crippled God??[/spolier] storyline does have a horror feel to it even though im not scared. My favorite part so far has been [spolier] the Dassem reveal, he better have a good backstory as to where hes been even since his "death" and why he wants to kill his former master.

Hey Ghjhero, thought you fell off the end of the earth, Lol. But, I won't get spoilery on ya but no, he's not the same. As far as Dassem, I believe its basically already been stated as to why he wants to kill Hood. I'm not totally sure of that though, it has to do with his reason for turning away from Hood. I believe that's already been stated and I would hate to spoil ya if not.

Hey Ghjhero, thought you fell off the end of the earth, Lol. But, I won't get spoilery on ya but no, he's not the same. As far as Dassem, I believe its basically already been stated as to why he wants to kill Hood. I'm not totally sure of that though, it has to do with his reason for turning away from Hood. I believe that's already been stated and I would hate to spoil ya if not.

DDP, don't know what's going on. Mod can delete 1st and this one, sorry again....

What book did it say why he wanted to kill Hood? I dont remember that at all. It also looks like Kallor is ploting against TCG, but i could be mistaken.

Lies, TTH is the best book ever written.

Weird. I used to value your opinion.

TtH was my second favorite of the series, the first being Midnight Tides. I think it was because I fell in love with Gardens from the get-go, and TtH was kind of a sequel. Oh, and the stuff with Nimander's group and the...was it the Dying God? Dead God? It had a great horror vibe.

Darth, I'd argue the best book ever written is the sole province of Bakker.

Double weird. Midnight Tides is the best book in the series and TTH is the worst (that I read).

Huh. I just put down Midnight Tides the other night. After positively burning through the previous four, MT seemed to put the brakes on the momentum, and hard. Maybe it's just the almost entirely new cast of characters, or maybe just the seeming lack of any Malazan connection so far... I dunno. I probably just have really shitty taste.

What book did it say why he wanted to kill Hood? I dont remember that at all. It also looks like Kallor is ploting against TCG, but i could be mistaken.

I don't believe it says that, I was referring to the reason why. I'm 90% definite it has been said prior to TTH, so I tell ya I don't think I'm spoiling ya. Hood killed his daughter/girl that he was really close to because he tried to walk away from him.....I believe. Its a little hazy, but I believe that's the gist.

Huh. I just put down Midnight Tides the other night. After positively burning through the previous four, MT seemed to put the brakes on the momentum, and hard. Maybe it's just the almost entirely new cast of characters, or maybe just the seeming lack of any Malazan connection so far... I dunno. I probably just have really shitty taste.

The series is pretty divisive and each book in the series is fairly divisive. So I don't think you can accuse yourself of poor taste. Just like I shouldn't pick on those who like TTH.

I don't believe it says that, I was referring to the reason why. I'm 90% definite it has been said prior to TTH, so I tell ya I don't think I'm spoiling ya. Hood killed his daughter/girl that he was really close to because he tried to walk away from him.....I believe. Its a little hazy, but I believe that's the gist.

Ok that does sound framiliar, is that related to what happened to Whiskeyjack's sister at all?

Archived