Football LXXXIV - Expecting League champions vs runners-up match tonight

baxus

Utd have spent serious money in the past 12 months. Fellaini, Mata, Shaw, Herrera and DiMaria for a combined ~180 million, with no significant funds raised from sales that I can recall. DiMaria should improve them but I said the same about Mata too. If Moyes was their Hodgson then LVG can be their Souness.

Arsenal never seem to learn.

I'm glad that Liverpool have targeted top 4 rather than the title, and that so many pundits are predicting them to miss the top 4. It will be an uncertain year of transition and it helps to not be pilloried after every little setback.

It really is classless to kick your opponents when they're down.

Let's be fair to Dzeko: there is no better time.

And City have been down a lot, there's a lot of kicking to make up for.

Anyway, in other news, Colin is back in the Prem as manager of Crystal Palace. Prick.

Arsenal back to their 4-2-3-1 with Ozil in the 10 role and Chamberlain/Sanchez as the pace.Wish Chambo was starting on the left and Campbell on the right so we could really run at them but Wenger loves Cazorla and loves leaving Monreal all by himself on the left so no surprise.

I'm a bit torn on the Arsenal game tonight. On the one hand it'd be quite funny if they got knocked out but on the other it'd probably be better for Liverpool if they had to play Champions League games this season. I'll probably lean towards grudgingly wanting them to go through.

I'm a bit torn on the Arsenal game tonight. On the one hand it'd be quite funny if they got knocked out but on the other it'd probably be better for Liverpool if they had to play Champions League games this season. I'll probably lean towards grudgingly wanting them to go through.

They go into the Europa League if they lose though, right? Which is arguably better for any opposition because playing Thursdays messes up your schedule something rotten.

The only downside would be a long-term one of the damage not being in the CL does to the coefficients, risking losing a CL point, although since Arsenal are perfectly capable of winning Europa and the point distribution is a bit more heavily weighted towards that competition than their relative strength would imply, they'd probably get more coefficient points than they normally do, and the winner gets an afaik strings free CL spot meaning as I understand it there'd be a perfectly good chance of England having five teams in the CL next year.

So really, an Arsenal loss tonight is good for everyone. Including potentially themselves - I'd crack up if Arsenal finally lost the race for fourth place but managed to win the Europa League the first year that gets you a CL spot.

Yeah, it's on the new Sky Sports 'European football' channel.

They go into the Europa League if they lose though, right? Which is arguably better for any opposition because playing Thursdays messes up your schedule something rotten.

Do they? I thought that was just the third placed team in the group stages. Ok, in that case I'll definitely go with wanting Besiktas to win.

Yeah, it's on the new Sky Sports 'European football' channel.

Do they? I thought that was just the third placed team in the group stages. Ok, in that case I'll definitely go with wanting Besiktas to win.

Yea, they go into Europa League if they lose.

The only downside would be a long-term one of the damage not being in the CL does to the coefficients, risking losing a CL point, although since Arsenal are perfectly capable of winning Europa and the point distribution is a bit more heavily weighted towards that competition than their relative strength would imply, they'd probably get more coefficient points than they normally do, and the winner gets an afaik strings free CL spot meaning as I understand it there'd be a perfectly good chance of England having five teams in the CL next year.

So really, an Arsenal loss tonight is good for everyone. Including potentially themselves - I'd crack up if Arsenal finally lost the race for fourth place but managed to win the Europa League the first year that gets you a CL spot.

Yeah but Arsenal getting 5th means Everton gets CL football... icky... :D

Archived