Why is the show turning Stannis into a dick?

Salafi Stannis

My biggest problem with the show is how they keep butchering the character of Stannis.

He is such an awesome character in the books but in the show he seems easily manipulated and even sometimes cruel. A great character like Stannis is being made to seem like a dick while there are characters who are awful in the books like Cersei, who whitewashed and her general evilness is toned down. Let me give an example, in the books Stannis only burns people who have committed crimes punishable by death, whilst in the show he burns people for being infidels, and even ordered the execution of his closest ally, Davos. In the books, he is really sceptical about the Lord of Light and doesn't really believe in him, but he keeps Melisandre around because she has power. In the show, he is a fanatical believer and does whatever Melisandre tells him to. In the books he is really having a moral crisis in sacrificing Edric storm, and lets Davos off the hook for freeing him, whilst in the show, he's gonna kill Edric with no moral objections and he's about to execute Davos until Melisandre convinces him against it. On the other hand, in the books, Cersei orders the executions of Roberts bastards, and thinks Joffrey is a brilliant and wonderful king, and even thinks sweet little Tommen should be more like Joffrey. Whilst in the show, she is innocent of the crime, and it was Joffrey who ordered the deaths of Roberts babies and Cersei is grief stricken about how awful Joffrey turned out. WTF?!?!? But Stannis is so awesome that despite D&D's best efforts, I STILL like show Stannis.

EDIT- To all Stannis haters, GRRM himself said Stannis is a good guy and a just man, so unless you know more about ASOIAF than the guy who wrote it....

EDIT - To those who say Stannis is a true beliver of R'hllor, Melisandre even said Stannis is a disbeliever by nature, that his only true god is duty.

Firstly Cersei is made crueler at times which aren't in the books, cancelling the wedding food going to the poor, telling margaery she will kill her in her sleep, and not welcoming Jaime back to KL after his long journey. As well as that I've always thought Stannis was a mislead dick and I think that's what's going to kill him eventually. After he wins the battle of WF I see him having little significance and dying very quickly, so even if he's portrayed as a bit more of a dick it doesn't affect the plot. Also I thought Stannis did burn infidels, correct me if I'm wrong.

I didnt have a problem with them potraying Stannis in s2, however s3 even though its the lowest point of Stannis there where to scenes like in episode 5 and episode 8 where they protrayed Stannis excellently, but agree with the rest of s3 that they made him to be completely influenced by Mel, such as in s3 finale making Mel convince him rather then Davos. And s4 episode 2 probably made me the most angry with him burning infidels rather then for betrayal, and being an absolute dick to Davos in episode 3. However liked the scenes in episode 6 and the finale. However I'm optimistic in s5 as D&D said there will be more Stannis whether that is portraying him as a dick or in a positive light, but remember most people only began to like him in ADWD, so s5 could be his season

Actually in the books Stannis did sentence Davos to death for smuggling out a human sacrifice.

It's obvious that tweedle Dee and tweedle Dum have some kind of anti-Stannis agenda and a pro-Lannister fetish. And considering they only had the first four books around the time they started writing season two (I think?) it could be because of that. But that's no excuse for season three and four. Basically, they don't like him and they're bad writers who lack subtly.

As much i love the TV show (easily favourite series ever), TV will keep have theyr bullshit vision about how they want sell this or that character to the audience

It's not just Stannis

WHAT!! No 'The Wire'? No B B? :crying:

Just kidding, everybody has their favourites.

Stannis is a complete dick in the books as well. He doesn't become properly likeable until he reaches the wall (which is where the TV show is at the moment).

Personally I think book readers have massively unrealistic expectations of the tv show. They've clearly done a brilliant job of adapting the books because it's one of the most successful tv shows ever. Who really cares if they've made Stannis a little bit more of a dick? It doesn't actually affect the story in any way.

Firstly Cersei is made crueler at times which aren't in the books, cancelling the wedding food going to the poor, telling margaery she will kill her in her sleep, and not welcoming Jaime back to KL after his long journey. As well as that I've always thought Stannis was a mislead dick and I think that's what's going to kill him eventually. After he wins the battle of WF I see him having little significance and dying very quickly, so even if he's portrayed as a bit more of a dick it doesn't affect the plot. Also I thought Stannis did burn infidels, correct me if I'm wrong.

No he doesn't, he acknowledges that most of his army are infidels and he doesn't care.

WHAT!! No 'The Wire'? No B B? :crying:

Just kidding, everybody has their favourites.

Seen both, seen Sopranos and so on, good stuff

Here we have the Romanzo Criminale tv series and now Gomorra series too, both way better than our usually boring stuff

But at the end of the day i keep find modern based (wich usually is crime or police based) series kinda boring as fuck. Plus, not being american i don't get the fetish of today-in-murrica setting... but again, in second line i mention two italy-based series and i don't get that excited

Good exception Hannibal, i was really loving that one, really visionary and artistic, awesome photography

I'm waaay more about stuff like GOT, Rome, Vikings, Spartacus and so on (i must still try Black Sails), i just find more fun and artistic "when cut heads with swords was fun" based stories :D

Archived