Why is the show turning Stannis into a dick?

Salafi Stannis

You're right, but they cost more than just having regular dialogue scenes between characters in sets that they have already used.

This is true, but it just proves that time and money are definitely a factor here. There was supposed to be a scene in season 1 where Robb summons all the Northern lords and we see the lords march towards Winterfell, but it was ultimately not implemented because of money concerns. They probably do have the biggest budget on HBO ever but that doesn't mean they can do whatever they want.

This is true, but it just proves that time and money are definitely a factor here. There was supposed to be a scene in season 1 where Robb summons all the Northern lords and we see the lords march towards Winterfell, but it was ultimately not implemented because of money concerns. They probably do have the biggest budget on HBO ever but that doesn't mean they can do whatever they want.

Maybe they can give us both in season 5, since there's (or at least should be) less action, and they should have a bigger budget (unless they're in recovery mode).

Maybe they can give us both in season 5, since there's (or at least should be) less action, and they should have a bigger budget (unless they're in recovery mode).

I sure hope so, season 4 was a huge disappointment to me and im really hoping we get to see the battle of Winterfell.

lets face it, in the books everyone says how unlikeable and alienating Stannis is and that's a big part of why Renly appears as a better alternative at least until Stannis saves the Wall because until then he has not really done anything to make people like him and he even had his own brother killed by proxy so some might say there's no redemption possible (respecting him for his consistency on certain issues is a different thing). There are just too many opinions about Stannis and so I don't begrudge the showrunners for sticking with one more or less consistently while adding subtle moments of nuance here and there. The conversation between Stannis and Davos about the siege at Storm's End comes to mind and most scenes involving Shireen.

lets face it, in the books everyone says how unlikeable and alienating Stannis is and that's a big part of why Renly appears as a better alternative at least until Stannis saves the Wall because until then he has not really done anything to make people like him and he even had his own brother killed by proxy so some might say there's no redemption possible (respecting him for his consistency on certain issues is a different thing). There are just too many opinions about Stannis and so I don't begrudge the showrunners for sticking with one more or less consistently while adding subtle moments of nuance here and there. The conversation between Stannis and Davos about the siege at Storm's End comes to mind and most scenes involving Shireen.

Most of Stannis' scenes that don't involve Melisandre have been great. They might be giving him the Jaime treatment, where before his conversion he was more of a douche than in the books.

Most of Stannis' scenes that don't involve Melisandre have been great. They might be giving him the Jaime treatment, where before his conversion he was more of a douche than in the books.

If by 'giving him the Jaime treatment' you mean turning him into a psycopathic cousin-slaying rapist, I'd say the show is along the right track.

And yet they didn't drop the fact that Jaime killed his cousin on the show because he mentioned that there was no word for cousin-killing in season 4 episode 8. They are keeping this element around for maybe later....and I'd say that Jaime on the show is not a psychopath, at least when it comes to Tyrion, Brienne, Podrick and Bronn. He is a very conflicted person at this point.

Archived