House Frey: Doomed?

TheLionOfTheRock

As you will be not doubt aware, everyone in the North and the Riverlands (with the exception of themselves and possibly the Boltons) HATES the Freys. Things are looking fairly bleak for them: if their not hung by Stoneheart, their slain in secret by Manderly and the general consensus is that all hell will break lose when the late lord dies. Not to mention, the Iron Throne intends to execute some Freys to make up for the Red Wedding add that to the heavy casualties the fight with Stannis has left them and to the possible infiltration of Stoneheart in Riverrun and it doesn't look too good for the Twins... But we must remember that house Frey is extremely large and fairly spread out (with a maester in the Vale, a Lady in the North, etc.) so it is highly likely that even after the bloodshed is done, we will not see the end of the Lords of the Crossing. There's even a chance that Big Walder will get his wish to be the head of house Frey, who knows? So what do you think? Will House Frey survive the song of Ice and Fire? Or will it be the end of the upstarts from the Riverlands?

I definitely see Walder turnign into the Rat king, being trapped in his castle over the winter and slowly eating his children as they die. Then when spring comes arya will kill him.

I personally think that Edmures child will survive the series tho... so at least 1 half Frey survives in that scenario.

We know that Jeyne Westerling makes an appearance in the prologue, so I personally think the action in the Riverlands is going to be heating up really quickly. I don't think its realistic for Edmure to get rescued when he has 400 guards and a dozen archers surrounding him. But if Jeyne is in that column... well someone has to die and something has to happen, so I'm going to assume we get an Edmure pov.

Walder Frey would probably crumble to dust if they tried to hang him.

I haste to add, not ALL Freys are poor excuses for human scum, notable examples being Edmure's wife Roslin, Roose's wife Walda and Robb's squire, who I believe was an Olyvar. The Rat King would be a decent end for the Late Lord, I must agree.

I was thinking about this the other day and after looking at the Frey family tree it is going to be very hard to wipe out the entire family, there is just so many, also there is a lot of the Frey's who do not deserve to be doomed all of the children for one.

Also Olyvar Frey for example had nothing to do with the RW and had to be forcibly removed from Robb's side due to him being so loyal to Robb.

So what i wonder is House Frey doomed as in all the family or just the ones who played a part.

I was thinking about this the other day and after looking at the Frey family tree it is going to be very hard to wipe out the entire family, there is just so many, also there is a lot of the Frey's who do not deserve to be doomed all of the children for one.

Also Olyvar Frey for example had nothing to do with it and had to be forcibly removed from Robb's side due to him being so loyal to Robb.

So what i wonder is House Frey doomed as in all the family or just the ones who played a part.

I think the ones who played apart will definitely suffer the consequences of their actions, but at least some of the others are likely doomed as well. Stoneheart did not differentiate between them and with Walder Frey likely to die soon, I think we may see a roman empire situation, where they all try and take out the head or the heirs to seize power. I fear Walda Bolton, being both a Frey and a Bolton, will not make it out alive. I have to agree that there probably too many for the house to concern itself with extinction.

The Frey will suffer by the end of the series, I think most of the house will be killed and there land stripped. Due to simple numbers they wouldn't die out,somebody estimated that the number of Frey must be around 80 or 90 and not all of these are around the Twins. I think that Roslin and Olyvar will survive and maybe allowed to keep some sort of holdings but most of the Frey will be killed. This is because not only are they unpopular due to the Red Weddng but they were unpopular before being seen as opunist only committing troops once Roberts Rebellion was nearly over an the fact that there only 600 years old which is pretty new for a noble house.

If one analyzes the nearly impenetrable Frey genealogy then we can see some things that are a little interesting. With the House being as large as it is there are many Freys decorating different courts of multiple lords and influential people. Two examples of this are one Frey boy who is apprenticed to some Braavos merchants, and two pages that are in the service of the Waynwoods. The former example could be just window dressing, but the latter example is two boys that are likely to interact with Sansa due to the proposed match with Harry the Heir. So we have two examples of young Freys that could potentially meet up with the last daughters of Stark, and any plots concerning the Sansa puts these Frey children in a potential crossfire of those that would restore the Starks to power and Arya does not bother to listen too closely to the Faceless man rule of not judging who they kill.

They are on a whole, *****ed.

They essentially burned the bridges with the two regions that surround them(to the point of Frey Pie). On top of this they essentially gave the middle fingers to the old gods & new, right on the precepts of a religious resurgence. Within months their name has been turned into the foulest swear in the kingdom. Their only allies(Lannisters & Boltons) are already planning to cut ties. House Frey is simply *****ed. Over half of their members will die by books end. Their lands taken, along with their nobility. Some good Freys will live on, but will likely adopt(or be given) another House name. The rest will hide their family name for fear of persecution. Better to be a bastard River than a Frey.

They are on a whole, *****ed. They essentially burned the bridges with the two regions that surround them(to the point of Frey Pie). On top of this they essentially gave the middle fingers to the old gods & new, right on the precepts of a religious resurgence. Within months their name has been turned into the foulest swear in the kingdom. Their only allies(Lannisters & Boltons) are already planning to cut ties. House Frey is simply *****ed. Over half of their members will die by books end. Their lands taken, along with their nobility. Some good Freys will live on, but will likely adopt(or be given) another House name. The rest will hide their family name for fear of persecution. Better to be a bastard River than a Frey.

Truth be told, house Frey "wiped out" does not necessarily mean that every last Frey need die. I find it more and more likely that a great number of the Freys are about to be culled, but with as many as there are it could be that a number will survive. It is more likely that House Frey will cease to be a house of nobility if the side they have chosen goes down in flames (which looks likely). A pen can end the line of Frey through attainder, with whoever left over either dieing or changing their names to avoid those that would hunt them.

I think there are too many Freys for them to be entirely wiped out and I hope that most of the innocent Freys will be spared. But I hope they are no longer Lords of the Crossing. Maybe give the innocents some lesser land. But most of them will surely die. Stupid Walder, doomed his House.

They may be. But if a new king rises, and House Frey go in early to support, I believe they'll survive no matter how much everyone else hates them (the new king has to show he/she rewards loyalty). However I doubt that the Freys will declare for someone without being 100 % sure they'll win- so I dont really see this scenario happening.

Most people seem to predict the Freys being stripped of their lands, titles and honors. I wonder how the possible invasion of Westeros will impact this. Will the Freys cunningly side with the would be monarch to gain power, a move that is very much in their nature, or would the future King/Queen of the Seven Kingdoms eliminate the house to gain favor with the rest of the Riverlands/the North?

They may be. But if a new king rises, and House Frey go in early to support, I believe they'll survive no matter how much everyone else hates them (the new king has to show he/she rewards loyalty). However I doubt that the Freys will declare for someone without being 100 % sure they'll win- so I dont really see this scenario happening.

:agree:

A king would have to want them, and the only likely contender at this point that could be a consideration is FAegon. But on that note the Half Maester has conveniently marked them as more likely enemies and that potential friends can be earned in the Riverlands because they oppose the Freys.

A king would have to want them, and the only likely contender at this point that could be a consideration is FAegon. But on that note the Half Maester has conveniently marked them as more likely enemies and that potential friends can be earned in the Riverlands because they oppose the Freys.

GRRM said many people would rest their behind at the IT- so there are more contenders than Aegon, who will show themselves in time.

GRRM said many people would rest their behind at the IT- so there are more contenders than Aegon, who will show themselves in time.

So let us bank on these unforeseen contenders to save them? FAegon was never even mentioned to be one of those "few" monarchs, and any one that wants to sit on the Iron Throne needs to be on friendly terms with the Faith at this point or they will not be able to hold the city thanks to the ever growing army that Cersei oh so graciously allowed to build. Convenient for any king that wants to use a populist movement to become a monarch, this very army has identified the Freys as anathema. Not so convenient for the Freys when they become a burden to whomever they wish to back, or that thanks to geography they are within reach of whoever wants to take a swing at the pinata that the Twins has become.

The Red Wedding was orchestrated seemingly in conjunction with the Lannister backed regime, meaning that it is going to be a little hard for them to show up at another door and go "hey how are you?". Hell it will be hard for them to finish that sentence before the door is slammed in their face.

All House Frey has going for it is wealth and military strength. The wealth will be a non-issue for any invader, as most claimants do not require further monetary backing and the military strength has suffered the affects of war (both the WoFK and their assistance of the Boltons against Stannis). So any who allied with them would have nothing to gain and everything to lose (i.e. the support of the North and the Riverlands). Personally, I hope that Stoneheart is going to team up with the Blackfish to torch the Twins and slay the Freys.

Archived