Diplomacy - The South, Turn 9 (Year 3, Months 1-3, Summer)

TheCrannogDweller

Yeah me and Nogg went over that part of the rules specifically citing the possibility of someone losing their capital; ironically I argued against it because it seemed like a big bonus for dornish starting players to be able to move in and out without penalty. Then Nogg came up with the compromise as it is now, where dornish and reachmen/stormlanders can move back into/out of dorne respectively but not be be able to rush out/in.

We asked. Leo still got a Dornish region in Sunspear and had not chosen a capital outside. He's still a Dornishman.

Wouldn't have changed anything except that SENP would have led the troops instead.

But SENP didn't lead the troops. That's my point. Leo has a territory in Dorne, but it was not selected as his new capital, after Red Dunes fell. He currently has no capital, as you said.

The rules, as written, clearly state that the player's capital has to be in Dorne.

Yes, one sec...

Here is Nog's ruling:

The move was within the spirit of the law. The idea behind the rule was to make the passes a one-way street for the players, depending on their initial geographical position. So the location of the player's initial capital is what counts.

If Leo had selected a new capital outside of Dorne, the situation would've been open for interpretation. But since he hasn't, he is still a Dornish player - even though his capital there was taken.

For future games, that really ought to be clarified in the rules. Obviously we have to abide by whatever Nog decrees, but considering that the rules explicitly state that a player's capital has to be in Dorne, then it wasn't a legal move as the rules are currently written.

Rule amendment 45b/(ii)

- any players with names that correspond with the mammalian superfamily, Muroidea, should start with no troops.

HTH.

edit.

Rule amendment 45b/(iiI)

and any player with names that correspond with the genus, daucus in the family of apiaceae, should start with plus 5,000 troops.

:)

Rule amendment 45b/(ii)

- any players with names that correspond with the mammalian superfamily, Muroidea, should start with 10000 troops.

HTH.

edit.

Rule amendment 45b/(iiI)

and any player with names that correspond with the genus, daucus in the family of apiaceae or any other player, should start with minus 5,000 troops.

:)

I fixed it for you :)

House Rylland would like to welcome two new additions to the family tree!

Born to Steffon Rylland and his wife R'ringa - Sebastian Rylland (m) in honor of House Shimmersand. The Reach remembers!

Born to Tryvar Rylland and his wife Jeyne - Avryll Rylland (f)

For future games, that really ought to be clarified in the rules. Obviously we have to abide by whatever Nog decrees, but considering that the rules explicitly state that a player's capital has to be in Dorne, then it wasn't a legal move as the rules are currently written.

I agree that the rules can be improved and made more clear - which in this case will mean simply adding the word "initial" before "capitals".

Nevertheless, as the person who came up with the rule (and maybe failed to articulate it properly), I can tell you that Leo's move was completely legitimate.

House Rylland would like to welcome two new additions to the family tree!

Born to Steffon Rylland and his wife R'ringa - Sebastian Rylland (m) in honor of House Shimmersand. The Reach remembers!

Born to Tryvar Rylland and his wife Jeyne - Avryll Rylland (f)

4/4 to raise 2000 at Darkdell.

Archived