Edgar Yronwood poisoned or just unlucky ?

drunken giant

I was thinking about the Red viper poisoning Yronwood and the more i thought about it the more i think Oberyn did nothing to his weapon and the wound just festered.

Oberyn was only 16 when the duel took place quite young to have knowledge of poisons.

They say he learned skills in poisoning in the Free cities but at the time of the duel he had not been to the Free cities.

He could have learned something of poison during his time at the Citadel but again he went there after the duel.

I reckon that the wound probably just festered on its own but Oberyn knew that he was never going to live it down from that day on he would have always been known as a poisoner

So i think he just ran with it rather than try fight what people say about him and deny it he became what they all accused him of, much like Tyrion becoming the monster that the people of King's Landing always named him.

Reminds me of what Tyrion says to Jon Snow about being a bastard he tells him

"Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. make it your strength. then it can never can be your weakness. armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you. "

I believe that the Red Viper adopted a similar philosophy.

So what does everyone else think Was Edgar Yronwood poisoned or was he just unlucky ?

I also think that the wound festered instead of being poisoned. What would he gain by poisoning his blade?

Yronwood dying caused all kinds of problems for the Martells and the Red Viper was not a fool and he would have known how much trouble it would cause. Unless he had a strong hatred for Yronwood there seems to be no reason to poison the blade especially since the duel was to first blood.

If he didn't poison Edgar, then he's a massive jerk that let his nephew be fostered(and all the problems tthat caused to his brother) only to keep a reputation. Very Tywin-like.

I can see Doran coming up with that plan to protect his brother.

So no poison and no jerk for me.

Always think that Oberyn made his persona after knowing he would be a poisoner anyway. It would fit the character like a glove.

Always think that Oberyn made his persona after knowing he would be a poisoner anyway. It would fit the character like a glove.

:agree:

Yeah my thoughts exactly he was never going to live it down anyway so he made it his armor.

Which would make Doran almost as good of a parent as Tywin. Well, at least Quentyn got to reject Oberyn offer to knight him(a small thing, but still something). Also, the Sand Snakes douchiness is enhanced(not that they needed) by the fact that they mock and belittled the guy that had to pay the price for their dad's leasure.

No wonder Mellario told Doran off and Arienne plotted against him.

So instead of revealing his brother is no murder, he decides to send his son away and ruin his marriage? I don't see Oberyn apart of this.

I would bet anything that Oberyn did poison him. The dual was to first blood so I don't imagine Yronwood's wound was that bad, plus we know from Gregor that Oberyn is willing to put poison on his weapon. Also Oberyn is a scumbag in reality, I think he comes off as likable mainly for being in opposition to bigger scumbags than himself when we meet him.

Well, I love Oberyn, mostly because his hype, but he could have atleast offered his own daughter.

I mean I feel that, but he was already exiled as punishment, and though the timeline on Oberyn's claiming his daughters is a lil sketchy, Oberyn definitely didn't have any to give at that point in time. And besides, I doubt the Yronwoods would have been alright with some bastard of Oberyn and an Oldtown prostitute as their collateral.

I would bet anything that Oberyn did poison him. The dual was to first blood so I don't imagine Yronwood's wound was that bad, plus we know from Gregor that Oberyn is willing to put poison on his weapon. Also Oberyn is a scumbag in reality, I think he comes off as likable mainly for being in opposition to bigger scumbags than himself when we meet him.

We know that a wound does not have to be all that bad for it to fester.

One example i can think of is Urrigon Greyjoy all he lost was a finger or two and it still resulted in his death.

Why would the Red Viper even want to kill Edgar there has been animosity between the Martells and Yronwoods for years it makes no sense to start a new conflict between them.

Also Oberyn was only 16 at when he fought Edgar most 16 year olds would want to make a name for themselves as a great warrior not tarnish their name as a poisoner.

Just doesn't seem like there was a lot to gain from poisoning him.

Archived