Characters already introduced that could be cut

Frederic_ed

I was thinking about the characters that have been already introduced in the show, are supposed to appear next season, but that could be cut because of "reasons". I propose making a list to keep track of them. Also, I would also like to hear your opinion about which of them are most likely to be cut. I also include Jon Umber because altho he doesn't actually appear, he's supposed to be hanging there (unlike for example Benjen Stark of whom we don't know).

Here's my list (the % are my opinion):

- Illyrio Mopatis... (chances of being cut: 40%)

- Kevan Lannister... (chances of being cut: 70%)

- Black Fish... (chances of being cut: 30%)

- Edmure Tully... (chances of being cut: 50%)

- Ilyn Payne... (chances of being cut: 90%)

- Beric Dondarrion... (chances of being cut: 60%)

- Thoros of Myr... (chances of being cut: 60%)

- Jon Umber... (chances of being cut: 100%)

- Lancel Lannister... (chances of being cut: 20%)

- Quaithe... (chances of being cut: 90%)

I was thinking about the characters that have been already introduced in the show, are supposed to appear next season, but that could be cut because of "reasons". I propose making a list to keep track of them. Also, I would also like to hear your opinion about which of them are most likely to be cut. I also include Jon Umber because altho he doesn't actually appear, he's supposed to be hanging there (unlike for example Benjen Stark of whom we don't know).

Here's my list (the % are my opinion):

- Illyrio Mopatis... (chances of being cut: 40%)

- Black Fish... (chances of being cut: 30%)

- Edmure Tully... (chances of being cut: 50%)

- Ilyn Payne... (chances of being cut: 90%)

- Beric Dondarrion... (chances of being cut: 60%)

- Thoros of Myr... (chances of being cut: 60%)

- Jon Umber... (chances of being cut: 100%)

- Quaithe... (chances of being cut: 90%)

Neither Edmure nor Blackfish did much in Season 3, so the main point of including both of them at that point must have been that the show writers thought they both had a role to play going forward. Edmure was the only Red Wedding hostage established by the show in season 3, so whenever the story gets back to Walder Frey, Edmure should re-appear. Thoros should also show up adjacent to Walder Frey; and a decent chance for Beric and/or Blackfish. Maybe the show brings Walder Frey stuff forward to season 5, maybe it happens in season 6, but it is hard to imagine the show not going back to deal with Walder Frey.

GRRM sent both Moqorro and Marwyn to Mereen. There has been speculation that if somebody magical has to be in Mereen, the show could just use Quaith for that rather than introducing a new magical character. But it is a long shot.

I think the show should bring Lancel back for season 5 because I want to see Cersei having to face him now that he has convictions, and Cersei getting in trouble with the High Septon through Lancel makes a lot of sense. And Lancel would be a great way to introduce the audience to the popular movement surrounding the High Septon. I don't see the point in bringing back Kevan.

The current high septon should be on your list. I don't expect to see him again, but they could do the whole assassination plot.

He could be replaced by Varys.

Yeah, the Varys - Illyrio conspiracy was given about two minutes of screen time in season 1. The show isn't tied to doing anything further with Illyrio. The neat thing about bringing Illyrio back is that the show would establish that Varys has been working on a specific long-term plan this whole time. And it gives Varys and Tyrion a specific destination. But Varys' long-term plan could be established through dialogue while they're traveling. If they can get the Illyrio actor back for a couple of scenes, it would be a neat touch. But his absence could be easily worked around.

I'd like to add Anguy to the list (and the whole merry men BwB) – had quite a lot of interaction with Ayra and Gendry in the show so will we see him / them again. Chances are slim if they’re cutting Lady Stoneheart but I would like to see Dennis Pennis talking Valryian again

Kevan may be omitted if Varys did in fact cross the sea with Tyrion

Illyn Paynes scenes from the books (sparring with Jaime) seem to have been filled by Bronn so I don’t see them bringing him back – although it would be nice to see Wilko skulking around looking menacing again

Heard the Greatjon had his ear chewed off in a brawl in real life – talk about method acting! Dunno if he’ll reappear, we still don’t know his fate in the books so could be done away with

Kevan may be omitted if Varys did in fact cross the sea with Tyrion

Why would Kevan be omitted if Varys went with Tyrion? We need a strong man in KL to take charge of the kingdom once Cersei implodes herself. It can't be Mace Tyrell, Cersei hates him. And Pycelle is too old to do it by himself.

Why would Kevan be omitted if Varys went with Tyrion? We need a strong man in KL to take charge of the kingdom once Cersei implodes herself. It can't be Mace Tyrell, Cersei hates him. And Pycelle is too old to do it by himself.

Cersei isn't entirely fond of Kevan. It'd be really nice to have him back, but if Varys is gone, it does make you wonder where the storyline will go.

- Illyrio Mopatis... (chances of being cut: 95%)

- Black Fish... (chances of being cut: 75%)

- Edmure Tully... (chances of being cut: 75%)

- Ilyn Payne... (chances of being cut: 98%)

- Beric Dondarrion... (chances of being cut: 80%)

- Thoros of Myr... (chances of being cut: 50%)

- Jon Umber... (chances of being cut: 99%)

- Quaithe... (chances of being cut: 75%)

Varys abandoning the invasion he's leaving to sneak back into KL to kill Kevan seems kinda goofy, especially because even if the show includes Kevan in season 5, he's not going to have had much screen time. Re-introducing a minor character with about 2 lines from season 2 to argue with Cersei in season 5 episode 1 at Tywin's funeral, reappear to take power in episode 8ish (wouldn't that be completely baffling to anybody who only watches the show?), and then be murdered in episode 10? His murder would lack weight anyway, since he's such a minor character.

When Cersei is arrested, Tommen is old enough and serious enough to take power, advised by Pycelle, Margery, and Mace. Tommen would reach out the Tyrells since he likes and trusts them, and with their advice he could hold down the fort and start fixing things. Giving Tommen more to do makes so much more sense for the show than re-introducing Kevan.

Illyn Paynes scenes from the books (sparring with Jaime) seem to have been filled by Bronn so I don’t see them bringing him back – although it would be nice to see Wilko skulking around looking menacing again

Who wants to relay the bad news for this one?

Varys abandoning the invasion he's leaving to sneak back into KL to kill Kevan seems kinda goofy, especially because even if the show includes Kevan in season 5, he's not going to have had much screen time. Re-introducing a minor character with about 2 lines from season 2 to argue with Cersei in season 5 episode 1 at Tywin's funeral, reappear to take power in episode 8ish (wouldn't that be completely baffling to anybody who only watches the show?), and then be murdered in episode 10? His murder would lack weight anyway, since he's such a minor character.

When Cersei is arrested, Tommen is old enough and serious enough to take power, advised by Pycelle, Margery, and Mace. Tommen would reach out the Tyrells since he likes and trusts them, and with their advice he could hold down the fort and start fixing things. Giving Tommen more to do makes so much more sense for the show than re-introducing Kevan.

But we still need Varys to kill Pycelle, sooooo he would still need to come back by the end of the season :S

But we still need Varys to kill Pycelle, sooooo he would still need to come back by the end of the season :S

SPOILER:

We've seen pictures of Jorah and Tyrion alone, so presumably, Varys will leave Tyrion at some point. Hopefully to go back to King's Landing! I mean, the possibility of not having the Griffs kind of makes things interesting as far as the transfer from Varys/Illyrio to Jorah. I have to think Varys wouldn't be careless enough to lose Tyrion in a brothel. Even if he did, I can't imagine he'd just go back to King's Landing with his tail in between his legs. So there has to be another way for it all to go down.

Rickon was sent to Last Hearth and Cogman confirmed that Greatjon wasn't in the Twins, therefore free and well.

He'll probably replace Manderly.

I loved Manderly in the books, but the GreatJon is pretty great. Condensing them will streamline the story. White Harbor and Bravos are too similar and expensive.

Or Varys could hire an assassin to kill Pycelle. We don't need Varys's speech to the dying Kevan because we'll already see Varys' plan earlier in season 5.

Archived