Why MUST there always be a Stark in Winterfell?

Kenton Stark

Is this phrase as important as I think it is or is it simply a statement about political importance or tradition?

Is it a supernatural requirement to keep the Ghosts of the Kings of Winter in their Crypts?

Is it part of the treaty between the First men and COTF?

Very interested to hear everyone's thoughts

There's some analysis out there that Bran is the Fisher King. Basically, Bran's fall is a symbol of how things go downhill for the Starks for awhile, and Bran being forced out of Winterfell is another sign of worse times to come. Whereas, his regaining of their legacy of magic kingship signals their return.

We'll probably see more of it elaborated upon in the TWOW as a part of the Pact the Starks have with the Singers

Stark propaganda

There's also the theory that Bran is the Fisher King (i.e. he represents a common mythological image or trope).

On a somewhat more literarl level, there's some dot-connecting theories that it's simply a phrase that harkens back to the Pact, and the link between the Starks and the Singers, (which likely involves blood magic, as Bran sees Stark ancestors making human sacrifices to the weirwood trees in his visions), but the true meaning is only half-remembered .

Because they are fucked other wise, after years of dozens of family members dying left and right, the Starks learned the only way to survive is to make sure someone pussy's out. If only the Gardeners thought of this...

Because they are fucked other wise, after years of dozens of family members dying left and right, the Starks learned the only way to survive is to make sure someone pussy's out. If only the Gardeners thought of this...

I am genuinely confused by what you are trying to say. Please explain.

Stark propaganda

+1

I think he means there must be someone to stay behind and make sure the line continues if they lose a battle and all are slain. Like House Gardener was gone after the last king died in the Field of Fire.

The Starks have long proud history of dying, a specially in the past hundred years, you can see the idea of one guy staying at home would be good for them.

There are some pretty wild theories as to why there must always be a Stark in Winterfell. Perhaps the reason is not so complicated...

The Liddle took out a knife and whittled at a stick. "When there was a Stark in Winterfell, a maiden girl could walk the kingsroad in her name-day gown and still go unmolested, and travelers could find fire, bread, and salt at many an inn and holdfast. But the nights are colder now, and doors are closed. There's squids in the wolfswood, and flayed men ride the kingsroad asking after strangers."

Bran II, Storm

lol. While true i think it's to keep away something dangerous like the long night from happening or white walkers from coming back. Or Wild Card (there's a dragon underneath winterfell).

Even after it crumbles in hundreds of thousands of years, there will Always Be A Stark In Winterfell. It contains an ancestral crypt. Belief says that is so with Pharaohs and Pyramids, for an our-world comparison.

There is something magical and mystical about Winterfell. Where do you find other castles in the north like it? You have to look to the east for the next magical, mystical castle at Dragonstone. Anywhere else, with a source of heat, possibly unexplained? Anywhere in the known world in which Westeros resides?

Archived