Dagger and Coin II: Spoilers through The Spider's War

Rhom

I think the mountain-top fortress is evidence enough that that hasn't happened.

That's why I said "most". There is no doubt that some places such as that remain (I believe there is also mention of an unapproachable tower in the middle of a whirlpool lake or something like that) and the dragons certainly built things to last, but most of their stuff was in easily reachable locations (e.g. Carse) or on the sunken island and is long gone.

No I don't think Inys was the villain, although I think he was probably an immature dick when he pulled his prank. Morade went all "let the whole world burn" as his revenge.

I'm saying that I think Drakkis took the opportunity to free humanity from the rule of dragons when it presented itself, although I have no idea HOW she did this. I think killing Marcus in a fit of futile revenge against someone long dead wouldn't be outside the realms of possibility, but doesn't in any way make Inys a primary villain. And killing that priest is potentially one of the most pivotal moments in the books, so he's clearly had an impact in an unusual way.

Finished the book. Good read, but hot fuck, why the hell can I not seem to like any single character in any of DA's books? I hate them all, and at times want Gender just to kill the world that they occupy.

I'll post some more thoughts later after I get a nap, we got our asses kicked last night on calls.

On a different note: I'm getting a chance to see DA this weekend (along with Ty), if anyone has any questions for him regarding the series, let me know. I'll throw them at him. He's usually pretty accessible at these things.

why the hell can I not seem to like any single character in any of DA's books? I hate them all, and at times want Gender just to kill the world that they occupy.

It's because they're largely well-meaning optimists and you hate all that is good in the world, isn't it.

I have a question: who really created the Timzinae? In the Dramatis Personae section of The Tyrant's Law, we have:

"Asteril, clutch-made of Morade, maker of the Timzinae, dead of poison."

However, in the prologue to The Widow's House, Inys thinks the following:

"It was an aspect of her design that she [the sister of Inys's grandfather] placed a part of herself within her creation [the Jasuru], as he had put something of himself into the black-chitined Timzinae. The weapon he had brought to the war. His answer to the chaos and madness of Morade's slave-corrupting blood spiders."

The "he" in that paragraph is pretty clearly Inys himself (at any rate, Asteril is not mentioned at all). So, which of the two created them? I guess I'd take the internal dialog of a living dragon over the Dramatis Personae which is known to be somewhat inaccurate simply because it lists Inys among the dead, but how did Asteril get the credit? Did the two dragons work on the Timzinae together?

The Dramatis Personae is like a history book. If Inys says he did it, he probably did. Unless he has some reason for claiming it when that's not true.

Don't believe a word he says, he tried to tell us Inys doesn't care if you say his name wrong too!

ETA: Perhaps after Inys went missing, presumably dead, Asteril thought that credit for the Timzinae was legitimate salvage.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First blurb for The Spider's War:

Lord Regent Geder Palliako's great war has spilled across the world, nation after nation falling before the ancient priesthood and weapon of dragons. But even as conquest follows conquest, the final victory retreats before him like a mirage. Schism and revolt begin to erode the foundations of the empire, and the great conquest threatens to collapse into a permanent war of all against all.

In Carse, with armies on all borders, Cithrin bel Sarcour, Marcus Wester, and Clara Kalliam are faced with the impossible task of bringing a lasting peace to the world. Their tools: traitors high in the imperial army, the last survivor of the dragon empire, and a financial scheme that is either a revolution or the greatest fraud in the history of the world.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spiders-War-Daniel-Abraham/dp/0356504727/

It's remarkable that by this time next year this series will be completed.. Done, finished.. And.. Might very well be in my top ten completed fantasy list..

What's even more remarkable is that it will possible be in the top 5 alongside the amazing Long Price Quartet...

When my mind contemplates The Expanse series of the sci/fi books and the quality therein I wonder at the prolificacy (sp? ) of Daniel Abrahams :bowdown:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about 80% done with Tyrant's Law, and I'm confused about Clara's letters. How many letters has she sent and to whom? It seems a significant expense on her meager allowance. Also, how are they getting into Cithrin's hands at the bank in Suddapal? Is Clara sending them to Komme who is then sending them to all of the branch offices?

I'm about 80% done with Tyrant's Law, and I'm confused about Clara's letters. How many letters has she sent and to whom? It seems a significant expense on her meager allowance. Also, how are they getting into Cithrin's hands at the bank in Suddapal? Is Clara sending them to Komme who is then sending them to all of the branch offices?

She's sending them to Komme's son in law Per... Clark... I can't remember his name off of the top of my head.

• 3 weeks later...

I finished this up last week, and this is a series that just sticks with you. I am a huge fan of characterization, and DA once again has given us a series full of nuanced and seemingly real people to enjoy.

Geder is an amazing villain. Was anyone else scared when he started paying attention to Jorey's wife? I just thought that it was a matter of time before his mind went in the direction that she belonged to him.

I finished this up last week, and this is a series that just sticks with you. I am a huge fan of characterization, and DA once again has given us a series full of nuanced and seemingly real people to enjoy.

Geder is an amazing villain. Was anyone else scared when he started paying attention to Jorey's wife? I just thought that it was a matter of time before his mind went in the direction that she belonged to him.

The whole thing made me nervous. That's the great thing about Geder, you never know what he's going to do.

I think I said it up thread, but I think he's the most real villain I've ever read about.

It made me very uneasy. Especially at the beginning when he started to realize that they were hiding something from him, I was really worried he would take offense and overreact.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived