Survivor: San Juan del Sur

awesome possum

Okay my fellow Survivor fans, it's that time of year again. The cast list and new twists for the season have been announced:

It's Blood vs. Water with all newbies. This time is different, however, as there's no Redemption Island but instead Exile Island makes its return. It's not fully explained how it will work so I'll paste the relevant section:

Exile Island is where contestants were sent away from the rest of their tribe to live on their own in between challenges. Making Exile Island even more brutal this time around is that your loved one will be sending you there after a one-on-one duel. “You’ve got to go up against your loved one and here are the stakes,” explains Probst. “Winner gets reward. Loser goes to Exile Island. Where it’s going to really suck. And it’s going to suck because you put ‘em there!”

As always, I'm super excited because Survivor, in my opinion, is one of the best shows on television!

Either my eyes are going bad or I just saw Natalie and Nadiya who were also on The Amazing Race. I love those girls! Thanks for the thread and link. And the quote.

Can't wait for the season to start.

Yeah Relic, I was thinking the same thing. Pretty soon we'll have Survivor: Malibu. I'm pretty sure San Juan del Sur has some pretty easy weather as well, although the ocean will be cold, and fishing may be mediocre.

I have pretty low expectations for next season. I only like the twinies, but can't see them being good survivor contestants (especially considering how many other TAR racers might be so much better). I also hope John Rocker gets his penis caught on a sea urchin.

Based on backgrounds, I don't see a single smart survivor this season. Not one white collar professional in the bunch. At least we have some non-standard asians with the Twinies (Being physically strong instead of being annoying braniacs). Token black people are probably going to be done in pretty quick based on their generic answers.

I finally got around to watching the videos last night (I skipped the bios because I don't really care what their favorite food or hobby is) and the only thing that stood out was how horrible Dalton Ross's questions were. I don't know if he was neutered in his ability to ask questions that would let us get to know these people beyond general stereotypes or what, but those had to be the worst set of interviews I've ever seen him give.

• 4 weeks later...

Premiere of Survivor:SJdS;BvW2 (seriously??) this Wednesday! I've got Reed, Jeremy, and Rocker (lol) on my fantasy team, although there's nobody I'm really crazy about this season. I hope the twinnies are as entertaining as usual, but nobody is really grabbing me. Feel kind of "meh" about the season overall, but I will of course be watching anyway.

I live San Juan del Sur. Have spent months there in the last few years. However... It is not a destination without amenities or new age tech. Strange choice.

Is there some sort of island off the coast? I was just in SJDS in August, and had a blast. I can't imagine them doing Survivor there. Perhaps they'll have a Sunday Funday challenge.

Although, I do believe Survivor did a season in Bocas del Toro, Panama. But then again, there are a lot of islands in that area.

So what did everyone think? I enjoyed it. I liked the Exile Island twist and was glad it didn't backfire on Val. I don't know if she will last long because she's playing too hard (was the idol subterfuge at Tribal really necessary?) but she'll be a firecracker until she goes.

First impressions:

- Jeremy came across really well. That's gotta suck bad for a guy who said his main goal is protecting his wife and then in the first 10 minutes of the game he gets her sent to Exile where she has no chance of bonding with her tribe. And then his making an alliance. When we usually see someone making a Day 1 alliance we see at least one or two of those members making fun of the idea in confessional. Instead we only saw Natalie, Kelley, and Missy all talking about how much they liked and trust Jeremy. He's going to be a huge threat in this game.

- Keith is going to be the comic relief. He's what Rick from South Pacific was supposed to be. If you're asking me, "who's Rick from South Pacific" well, exactly. If he can go in challenges I can see him lasting a while.

- Josh seems like the type who could control this game if he doesn't over-analyze things and doesn't buckle under the pressure of cutting a few throats. He got a lot of screen time this episode, which makes me think he's going to play a significant pre-merge role and then get blindsided in a tribe swap or because everyone is scared of him.

- John Rocker is playing an under the radar game, which is smart. But can he keep his mouth shut and stay under the radar once he's been out in the elements for several days and starving? He gave a recent interview that might be considered spoilery so I won't go into details on that, instead I'll highlight this quote: "I've been a part of a number of reality shows in the past. I was on the inaugural season of Pros vs. Joes and been behind the scenes of a number of other shows. Seeing how staged and for-the-camera a lot of reality shows are and what they're trying to create, I just assumed Survivor was going to be the same. I was wrong. I was really shocked to find out what you see is what you get. It's pretty straight forward." Really nice to hear that. Survivor has been around for as long as it has because it's not reality television, it is the most difficult game show in the world.

- Baylor seems like a player. She's young but appears to know what's she's doing. I predict that she'll play a significant role in some big moves this year.

- Jon, despite being the preppy handsome All American, is really likable. I don't like his odds what with Jeremy gathering a majority alliance around him, but if he can make it to the merge I can see him dominating some challenges.

Those are the people that stuck out to me the most.

I still need more time to get used to these people, but it was a decent start. Rocker's girlfriends needs a more supportive structure than a buff to wear in the challenges. It may seem petty, but seriously - if you're taking the time to pull up your buff every few minutes, then you don't have your game face on.

I liked Val and Jeremy and ... don't know anyone else enough yet. For an extended premiere it didn't really feel like it. Glad one of the twinnies is gone. I actually don't mind them, but two is just too much - they egg each other on and are a bit over the top. Will be interested in seeing how Natalie does solo. And I can't fault the reason Nadiya got booted - they did steal money from another Amazing Race Team.

So Kieth (?) found the idol, right? He didn't think it was, but Val's clue said to look near the watering hole so I have to imagine it is. It would be interesting if he never realizes it is an idol and uses it to 'fool' someone else.

Josh - voting Baylor was a cop-out. I assume he did it to not get his hands dirty. That never works well. If you're in the middle - don't dick around. If people don't think they can't count on you they will turn on you in a heartbeat. I did not like that move.

I think this is going to be a great season. :) It definitely didn't feel like 90 minutes to me, either.

And I'm glad Nadiya got voted out first. She really rubbed me the wrong way. Wanting to gang up on the older guy, Dale, and also all her comments about the gay guy being "one of the girls." :rolleyes:

So Kieth (?) found the idol, right? He didn't think it was, but Val's clue said to look near the watering hole so I have to imagine it is. It would be interesting if he never realizes it is an idol and uses it to 'fool' someone else.

Josh - voting Baylor was a cop-out. I assume he did it to not get his hands dirty. That never works well. If you're in the middle - don't dick around. If people don't think they can't count on you they will turn on you in a heartbeat. I did not like that move.

That was Older Guy #2, Dale. I don't know if it was an idol, it seemed really obvious if it was, having the string attached to it and all and idols usually come with a note attached. It would definitely be a curveball if it was but I think if anything he'll use it to bluff his way through a vote or get his bluff called. It has to come back into play though, or why would they spend time on it?

And I both agree and disagree. Voting Baylor was a cop out, unless he can manage to do damage control before Baylor starts talking and asking about it. As far as the guys know, Josh voted with them and one of the women voted for Baylor for some reason. We'll see how good of a player he is, because he's either going to catch some flak for that or spin his way out of it and look even better.

Great start to what looks like a fantastic season last night. Here is my take on the Baylor vote, and her in general. I personally think that she colluded with Josh to have him throw the vote her way. I think that she fooled him into the position of looking wishy washy. I also think that she will make it far in the game. The graphic on her Mom read Baylor's Mother a couple of times without reading her actual name.

The graphic on her Mom read Baylor's Mother a couple of times without reading her actual name.

OK, that's interesting.

I was listening to a podcast (Rob Cesternino) and he threw out something about Josh changing his mind at tribal because he felt bad voting out Nadiya after her speech about Natalie being her only family here (in the US, that is). Can't remember where he pulled this from or how solid it is, I was half-listening.

My husband decided he needed desperately to talk to me about something or other the last 15 minutes of Survivor, so I have no idea how the episode ended. :bang:

And reading this thread doesn't even spoil me, since I don't know any of the "Survivors" except for John Rocker - he kind of stands out. It was kinda cool the way he used his body to give his teammates a boost up the slant board. I vaguely recall that he was very publically an asshole a few years back, but can't remember the specifics of it.

I agree that his girlfriend looks like her top's gonna give way at any second. If she doesn't care, fine, I don't care, but if she does stop to pull it up during a challenge, then it's a problem.

The twins seemed like they were high on their own "fame." And the one's targeting of the older dude and blanket assumptions about the gay guy were a bit sickening.

I did have to shake my head and snicker when one of the "Survivors" talked about how they'd have "nothing!" and they were on their own. Watch a few episodes of "Naked and Afraid" chump, and you'll see what having nothing for 21 days actually feels like. (Yeah, I know Survivor's longer.)

OK, that's interesting.

I was listening to a podcast (Rob Cesternino) and he threw out something about Josh changing his mind at tribal because he felt bad voting out Nadiya after her speech about Natalie being her only family here (in the US, that is). Can't remember where he pulled this from or how solid it is, I was half-listening.

Dalton Ross on EW.com said the same, that Josh changed his vote at the podium. Why he changed it to Baylor is beyond me.

Another interesting tidbit is that apparently Baylor and Alec(?) one of the blond Fabio brothers were very chummy and there was discussion at Tribal about how they might be conceived as a pair. I don't think this amounts to much, as something that important would have at least gotten a couple seconds of air time, but thought it was interesting nonetheless.

The twins seemed like they were high on their own "fame." And the one's targeting of the older dude and blanket assumptions about the gay guy were a bit sickening.

Yeah, they both kind of came across as obnoxiously arrogant. Like the type that would fit in, "well on the Amazing Race..." every four sentences no matter what the subject is about. "Oh, you like the color orange? Well on the Amazing Race we saw the color orange many times."

Apparently they're famous for "having no filter" and their fans think its cute and funny which means its okay to say sickening crap like, "oh you're just one of the girls" to a man because of his sexual orientation. I'm just glad half of them is gone already.

I think they actually did that with several of them. Player A "Player B's Dad" and Player B "Player A's Son" and stuff like that.

All of the other graphics had the other player's name though. There was a couple of times that the graphic only read Baylor's Mom.

Archived