Leyton Hightower is Marwyn the Mage? Crackpot

Arya Stark Rules

So from the appendix of House Hightower we have

Subtle and sophisticated, they have always been great patrons of learning and the Faith, and it is said that certain of them have also dabbled in alchemy, necromancy, and other sorcerous arts.

And then we have:

Some claimed a man could see all the way to the Wall from the top. Perhaps that was why Lord Leyton had not made the descent in more than a decade, preferring to rule his city from the clouds.

So two things at this point The Hightowers have been known to dabble in sorcery and Lord Leyton hasn't made a descent in ten years.

However, what he hasn't been there all along within those ten years, what if he's been under a different name to dabble in sorcery or perhaps learn magic in the east without anyone noticing him gone.

From Marwyn we have:

When Marwyn had returned to Oldtown, after spending eight years in the east mapping distant lands, searching for lost books, and studying with warlocks and shadowbinders, Vinegar Vaellyn had dubbed him “Marwyn the Mage.”

Leyton hasn't come down in 10 years and Marywn went to the East for 8 years, maybe Marwyn is Lord Leyton

Not soo close but a possibility nonetheless what do you think?

Doesn't make much sense and I don't see how it could develop the story if it was true. Also Marwyn is described as quite an ugly man, whereas most Hightowers we've met are quite good looking.

He might have studied at the House of Black and White and learned how to change his face...

Regarding the possibility of Lord Leyton = Haldon Halfmaester.

Ooh.

Yeah, I don't know if it was completely debunked or not, but there was a thread about it a while back - I think within the last year. The theory was that Leyton = Haldon and Septa Lemore = Malora the Mad Maid.

Regarding the possibility of Lord Leyton = Haldon Halfmaester.

Yeah, I don't know if it was completely debunked or not, but there was a thread about it a while back - I think within the last year. The theory was that Leyton = Haldon and Septa Lemore = Malora the Mad Maid.

I will try and find this thread. Pushes a lot of buttons for me, though obviously it's unlikely.

cheers for the head's up.

Who's governing Oldtown then? And it doesn't seem like something you can hide easily...wouldn't the millions of people sworn to House Hightower notice the disappearance of their lord?

Supposedly he's been up in that tower for ten years now. That was the part that kind of got me. Everyone says he's up there, but if nobody sees him, how do they know? Also, there's kind of a similar resonance in the names: Leyton/Haldon - Malora/Lemore. It's a stretch, I know, but it sort of makes sense when you consider the historical relationship between House Hightower and House Targaryen and the fact that the Hightowers have kind of been setup as Chekov's Great House.

Here's the thread I was referencing.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/100990-septa-lemore-is-malora-hightower-haldon-is-leyton-hightower/

It looks like the OP decided he didn't like his own theory and so he edited his original post and several subsequent ones, but you can see the overall conversation. Looks like I was the thread killer at the end.

Archived