Opening a tabletop and generally geeky bar in NorCal.

asdfmanasdf

Hey all! LONG time lurker here. My first post is to share that I'm in the process of opening up a tabletop and all things geek tavern here in Sacramento, CA. We'll have board games to check out, as well as space for people to play all sorts of games. We'll also have an old-school arcade and videogame area. We'll also definitely be doing regular big-event showings of Game of Thrones, of course. It's going to be a blast, so I hope that those of you who are near can visit once we're up and running.

We've got a vast majority of funding between my business partner and I, but in order to get that final bit together (and of course to help make this place as much our friends as ours), we've put together a Kickstarter here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/722215538/save-point-tavern

We're doing rather well, but need all the help we can get to reach our goal. So if any of you think you'll visit, or if you just want to put your mark on a place for lovers of things like ASoIaF, please pledge or at least pass along the news to someone you think will care.

Thanks!

PS Lannisters are the best

Ouch, strong words. One can lurk without registering, and I definitely regret not becoming a part of the community earlier, since you're all so nice and stuff.

@ Dante: I've been reading (and re-reading) the books since 2002. I guess I can't really prove my "bonafides" since I could look something up if I didn't know it, though.

Have a nice day everyone. :)

Lets talk about etiquette for just a minute.

I, like yourself was a long time lurker of these boards. I have been reading some form or another since 2000. I didn't register here until Dance With Dragons had a firm release date. I did this, because I knew that there was a firm policy on this board to not voice complaint about the long wait time between books, and as I respected that policy and felt like I couldn't keep my trap shut, I only lurked. When I did join the board, I spent the first few months discussing the books with other people. I did this because I had an active interest in finally having a conversation about them because I only knew one other person that I had ever read them.

I am going to contrast that with your actions here. I take you at face value that you are a fan and have been for a while. Instead of spending any time at all nurturing a connection with other fans, you come here and briefly introduce yourself and then ask for money, No question about it, that is rude. If this was a party that you walked in where you didn't know anyone, and had never been to the house before, it would be obnoxious.

I'm not trying to discourage you away from here. by all accounts, you seem to be in the right place. You also seem like you may be able to contribute to this little geek fest that is going on over here. Just simmer down a little bit, and wait until you know us before you hit us up for cash.

@ Dante: I've been reading (and re-reading) the books since 2002. I guess I can't really prove my "bonafides" since I could look something up if I didn't know it, though.

As HP pointed out, my issue is that you registered just to ask for money. So yes, forgive me for doubting your interest in the series or books. If you've really been lurking here a while you'd know that we periodically get spammy topics posted by users as their first post.

Well, based on that sentiment I doubt I'll have any backers from here, so when I'm around in a year or so maybe you'll believe me then. :)

If this was a party that you walked in where you didn't know anyone, and had never been to the house before, it would be obnoxious.

I guess that's where I get lost. I've always viewed Westeros (since I *have* been around) as a part of a larger community, one in which we all currently belong. It seems instead, if everyone in this thread is representative of the place, that Westeros considers itself an exclusive group in itself. And that's okay, of course, but that difference in philosophy has certainly led to some fun.

While we're at it feel.free to donate some money to my gf's bagel shop in my sig. Or just PM me and you can make the check out directly to me.

OP, good luck with the bar. Since you've been lurking you probably know all the board lore that is a mystery to a fl00b like me. What is this pink stretch I've heard so much about?

What HP said. We aren't your goddamned bank and you don't know us. We might help out with each other's projects sometimes, like MC's kickstarter -- but that's because these are our friends. This isn't just not how you act at Westeros, it's not how you act on the Internet, or anywhere else for that matter.

I guess that's where I get lost. I've always viewed Westeros (since I *have* been around) as a part of a larger community, one in which we all currently belong. It seems instead, if everyone in this thread is representative of the place, that Westeros considers itself an exclusive group in itself. And that's okay, of course, but that difference in philosophy has certainly led to some fun.

Not really. You admitted yourself that you have been lurking.

I don`t think anyone is saying that they have anything personally against you (as they don`t know you, obviously) but breaking your lurking streak by making your first post a request for money is tacky.

Anyway, welcome to the board. I do wish you well and hope your geek tavern is a success.

Archived