Favorite Houses: A New Look at Guessing Games

Bustard

Hello all :) I've been a long time fan of the Top 20 guessing games where everybody submits a list and the host tallies it up/provides clues each round. I actually hosted 'Most Dangerous Character' back when my username was Captain_Falcon (which I mysteriously lost access to :dunno: ).

We just finished "Best Sigil" (courtesy of Lyanna<3Rhaegar :cheers: ), and the time to choose another game is upon us. There's been some disagreement about the next topic, so I thought I'd introduce a new format altogether. This way we can accommodate more than one idea without having two of the same game running at once.

My proposal is a tad simpler than the original version and will take less time to complete. To start, everybody sends in their lists as they normally would and the host will tally up the results. Here's where it starts to change:

Round 1:

Instead of providing a clue, the host will begin by offering the names of #21-#30 in alphabetical order. At this point, participants will submit what they believe to be the most likely order.

For every correct guess, the participants receives 5 points. For every guess that is off by 1, the participant receives 3 points. For every guess that is off by 2, the participant receives 1 point.

Round 2:

When the first round of guessing is complete, the host will reveal #11-#20 in the same fashion. However, the point values double for guessing. --> 10 points for a correct guess; 6 points for 1 off; and 2 points for 2 off.

Round 3 (Final Round):

Again, the host will reveal #1-#10 in alphabetical order. The point values do NOT double, but increase by the same increment. --> 15 points for a correct guess; 9 points for 1 off; 3 points for 2 off.

As you might expect, the participant with the most total points will be crowned a champion!

I'm happy to host if the idea garners enough support! :) I wanted to kick this off with something relatively simply: Favorite Westerosi Houses. PM me your list if you would like to play! The lists should consist of 20 houses even though the guessing begins at #30.

I plan to reveal #21-#30 on Wednesday September 3rd at 8:00pm ET (one week from today).

Results for Top 30:

1. House Stark
  2. House Martell
  3. House Manderly
  4. House Reed
  5. House Seaworth
  6. House Mormont
  7. House Baratheon
  8. House Targaryen
  9. House Tully
  10. House Tyrell
  11. House Umber
  12. House Dayne
  13. House Lannister
  14. House Tarth
  15. House Blackfyre
  16. House Greyjoy
  17. House Harlaw
  18. House Marbrand
  19. House Mallister
  20. House Dondarrion
  21. House Karstark
  22. House Royce
  23. House Arryn
  24. (3-way tie) House Clegane
  25. ( 3-way tie)House Bolton
  26. (3-way tie) House Selmy
  27. House Yronwood
  28. House Smallwood
  29. House Blacktyde
  30. House Thenn

I would love to give this a go! I get antsy waiting & would like to play 2 games at once. I think this is actually a bit less complicated than the regular GG & even if all the regular GG players didn't want to participate I bet you could get enough support to play if we passed the word around a bit before starting :)

It's almost like 3 rounds of the final 5 only with more than 5. (I know we aren't usually given the answers but by the final 5 most people have a pretty good idea of what they are.)

Thanks for the feedback everybody! I promise I won't take it to heart if you decide not to play :)

As long as I receive enough lists (2 and counting...), I'll give it a whirl. I'm going to post a demonstration in a little while to clear up any confusion. I think it sounds more complex than it really is.

5 lists + 3 pending so far :) I plan on spreading the word around more tonight. Below, I'm using the top 30 from the previous game (Best Sigil) to demonstrate the scoring process. ***Take note on how ties will be handled!***

30. The sigil of House Tyrell 5 points for guessing #30, 3 points for guessing #29, 1 point for guessing #28

(t)28-29. The sigils of Houses Weber & Harlaw for ties, 4 points will be awarded for guessing within range (28-29) and 2 for being off by 1 (27&30)

27. The sigil of House Velayron 5 for #27, 3 for #26/#28, 1 for #25/#29

26. The sigil of House Baratheon (King's Landing) 5 for #26, 3 for #25/#27, 1 for #24/#28

(t)22-25. The sigils of Houses Connington, Karstark, Manwoody & Tully 4 points for #'s 22-25 and 2 points for #21/#26

21. The sigil of House Brax 5 for #21, 3 for #22, 1 for #23

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20. Sir Duncan the Tall's personal arms
19. The sigil of House Bolton
18. The sigil of House Umber
17. The sigil of House Blackfyre
16. The sigil of House Baratheon of Dragonstone Round 2: Same as Round 1, but points values double
15. The sigil of House Reed
14. The sigil of House Arryn
13. The sigil of House Manderly
12. The sigil of House Mormont
11. The sigil of House Baratheon of Storm's End

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10. The sigil of House Lannister
9. The sigil of House Blackwood
8. The sigil of House Dayne
7. The sigil of House Dondarrion

6. The personal arms of Bloodraven Round 3: Same as Round 1, but point values triple
5. The sigil of House Seaworth
4. The sigil of House Targaryen
3. The sigil of House Martell
2. The sigil of House Greyjoy

1. The sigil of House Stark

Let me know if more clarification is needed! :cheers:

Archived