TTTNE 435: There must always be a Baelish in TTTNE

Littlefingers In The Air

Another film to add to my "to watch" list. I loved Shaun of the Dead, I thought it was better than Hot Fuzz, even if I still enjoyed that one. I've heard mixed reviews from friends about World's End, so more feedback would be appreciated...

Right so, I was ok with the theme. It felt like very different character wise, it's much more than just Nic Frost and Simon Pegg, which worked in some ways but I think generally was a failing. It wasn't as funny either, probably alright but not up to the standards of the first two. NF and SP had a nice moment towards the end, which made me feel very sadly nostalgic, it felt like they were saying goodbye. Like a double act who have drifted apart. Then the film really jumped the shark, the final showdown was ridiculous.

Then and here is the films real failing for me, and this will contain a very mild spoiler. It is revealed one of the characters has pretty serious depression issues. And instead of actually addressing these they are brushed under the rug and the character keeps doing what he was doing before. As someone who has had in the past (and will have forever) issues with this it left a really quite sour taste in my mouth. Especially coming after the first two.

Black Bear - Oh :( That's disappointing. I'll probably still watch it, just to say I have :dunno: But from.what you say it sounds the weakest of the three. And I agree with the depression issue, I don't think I would appreciate seeing it swept under the carpet. Tis a very real and awful issue. Thanks.for.the review though :thumbsup:

King_Tyrion, the list:

The Realm of the Elderlings works, in.chronological order;

Assassin's Apprentice

Royal Assassin

Assassin's Quest

*the Liveship Trilogy folls and isset in the same.world, but work as a stand alone trilogy. Some things which happen here are alluded to in.future books:

Ship of Magic

Mad Ship

Ship of Destiny*

Back to the main series, following Assassin's Quest;

Fool's Errand

Golden Fool

Fool's Fate

*then comes another unconnected series, though it has roots in the Liveship Trilogy. The Rain Wild Chronicles;

Dragon Keeper

Dragon Haven

City of Dragons

Blood of Dragons*

And finally, following on from Fool's Fate;

Fool's Assassin.

But if you want to cut out some of the books, go from Assassin's Quest to Fool's Errand and miss out the Liveship Trilogy. Then after Fool's Fate skip the Rain Wild Chronicles and read Fool's Assassin.

Though I really.enjoyed both series, and can highly.recommend them :D

You got the summons at your Russian address , is it ?

AA!

We have not seen you around these parts in forever (though I still see you regularly over in the elimination games)! How goes it?

Last year there was a famous cricketeer who retired, iirc, and you had him as your av for a while. Is there anything interesting going on in the sport of cricket in India these days?

Hello, my friends! =o)

First of all, my Queen bids me to thank you all for your wishes. I told her that you are missing her. Like you bid me to do.

She's going to see her pain management doctor tomorrow.

I spent my afternoon in town with that colleague. Turns out she's single and we talked about that special life style.

I invited her to an ice cream and we went to a book store together. I bought two books actually, although I might swap one of them. Because the dust jacket's a bit damaged.

You want to know *what* I bought. For sure. You do.

One's the graphic novel of "The Hedge Knight" and the second is Robin Hobb's "Fool's Assassin."

Hi KT!

Thanks for the Maid updates, as always.

Interesting you bought Hedge Knight yesterday and it just happened that I read it for the first time yesterday as well. Is there another Dunk & Egg story after that, and is it part of a collection as Hedge Knight is (here in the states, anyway).

:kiss: for the King

Thank you for passing on the messages to Maid. I hope she is in less pain soon.

It sounds like you had a lovely afternoon with her

Good book choice . This ginger especially recommends the second one.

Which one was damaged? Oh, and also, how do you find graphic novels? I've tried with one before (I didn't buy it, a friend had it) and I just couldn't get into it. I wonder about the Dunk and Egg novellas though - I already know the story, so maybe I'd like the graphic novel for the artwork? Maybe I will try that one day.

The cover of Fool's Assassin is gorgeous. So shiny and gold. I'm probably going to cave in and buy the hardback edition you know, even though I got the e-book. If I can find somewhere to store it that is.

Also, I pre-ordered the World of Ice and Fire today, since I've got my new address. I'm looking forward to receiving it.

Avvie change!

Today I've not done much. I cut the grass (again! Its growing so fast) and then played in the garden with the puppy for a while.

At what point does he stop being a puppy I wonder? He is...well, less than a year. Lets see, he was born before Christmas last year, about 3 weeks before. So he is about 9 months, give or take. When do I have to stop calling him puppy? But he still has his cute puppy face, so I feel entirely justified in doing so

I'm rambling now

I'm glad you noticed and put the ETA in

*chastises herself before Bucky brings out the Whip*

ETA: Great British Bake Off tonight, huzzah! Time to brew the coffee and bring out the fruit scones!

*places coffee and homemade fruit scones on the SNACK TABLE OF REQUIREMENT*

Helena,

your new av is quite . . . different! :D That pose!

I love scones. One of my favorite breakfasts is hot buttered scones and soft boiled eggs.

Officially? I think around 1 year, dogs stop being puppies, but who pays attention to "official" designations anyway. A son is always a "baby" to his mom, no matter how old, right?

News of the day: How to Train Your Dragon 2 is amazing. :wub: Go watch it now. Yes, you. You will not be sorry.

Have a toothless.

Have you read all the previous books by Hobb too? Apparently they are very intertwined.

So, umm, everybody is in a :leer: -y mood today?

Thanks!

I forgot that was coming out.

I thought that some of the flying scenes in the first "Dragon" were amazing. In the way you could really feel the sensation of flying in the pit of your stomach as you watched. I'd have loved to watch it in Imax - that would be awesome.

if it was anything like as good as that, I'd go right away.

The previous books aren't just intertwined - they are kind of necessary (well, all the Fitz and Fool stuff). I would recommend starting at the beginning - a very good place to start.

*shows herself out for lame joke*

I never got around to seeing How to Train Your Dragon 2 You make me jealous!

But thanks for the Toothless

ETA; Sleep well K_T

And I would maybe try the first Hobb book before jumping into Fool's Assassin - it's the 7th book in that particular series...

Based on yours (and Bucks) strong recommendation I mentioned Robin Hobb to a friend who needs something new to read. I think she's picked it up and I have to check with her and see how she's doing.

Right so, I was ok with the theme. It felt like very different character wise, it's much more than just Nic Frost and Simon Pegg, which worked in some ways but I think generally was a failing. It wasn't as funny either, probably alright but not up to the standards of the first two. NF and SP had a nice moment towards the end, which made me feel very sadly nostalgic, it felt like they were saying goodbye. Like a double act who have drifted apart. Then the film really jumped the shark, the final showdown was ridiculous.

Then and here is the films real failing for me, and this will contain a very mild spoiler. It is revealed one of the characters has pretty serious depression issues. And instead of actually addressing these they are brushed under the rug and the character keeps doing what he was doing before. As someone who has had in the past (and will have forever) issues with this it left a really quite sour taste in my mouth. Especially coming after the first two.

Nice review.

I have a Shaun of the Dead trailer on one of the dvds I own. I like SP, and he is a good and funny Scotty on Star Trek, but I'm "allergic" to zombies and zombie movies*, so that trailer is all I'm ever going to watch of that.

*yes, I know wights = zombies. I tolerate them because it's ASOIAF and they're a very small part, but it still pisses me off that there are zombies in my soup story. :lol:

eta

I almost forget the thing I wanted to say with this post.

There's a comedian in this country named Jeff Foxworthy (or something like that). He has a whole line of jokes that start, "You might be a redneck if . . . .".

I think there's a place for Westerosi jokes that go something like, "You might be ASOIAF obsessed if . . . "

In my case the ellipses would be followed by, "if you read about 200 m high lava geisers in Iceland and think, 'wow, that's almost as high as The Wall.'"

Well, they can't really do anything unless I decide to walk in into a government building in Ukraine.

And it's not like I want to go . There's also something hidden you guys don't know (sorry it's too private for now) that makes it sadder and funnier .

Tater, I woke up this morning and you were on my mind. I realize how insane that sounds, I guess it's more like a burden to pray for your well being? I hope you are well my friend, this hobbit worries.

Eta: I just realized why I woke up with you on my mind. I fell asleep last night with the news on - I'm guessing my brain was still listening while I was asleep!

Either way, you have spammy good vibes on their way :)

:grouphug:

You know and the fact that I don't want to fight a war where wherever I shoot I'm killing someone I'm related to ...

Allow me to elaborate , Ukraine being a bit backwards in the law department, prohibit its citizens from carrying more than one passport , so basically to them my other nationalities are illegal , they either don't know about them or as common with politics , they just turn a blind eye , because this is not uncommon , thousands if not millions of ukrainians carry other nationalities (mostly Russian but there's also a portion of israeli too ) so basically to them , in the records, I'm a ukrainian living abroad not a Russian . (Their records are all out of date anyway, and even they don't pay them much attention)

No, I'm not signed up there ... nor am I signed up here anymore either ( you know why rhae )

It's called a draft , common during wars , they basically send out summons to random able bodied citizens over the age of 18 to have obligatory military service (in most countries you could get an excuse like studying or being an only child -to carry on your father's name - ...etc. ) they give them a crash course that's not usually adequate and throw them off to war .

You don't have to worry about yourself, in most countries that implement drafts , women cannot be drafted , only men . You're safe basically.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm glad you don't have to suit up, so to speak.

Eta: I thought women were drafted in Israel?

You know, when I first met you, I imagined you as this classy man surrounded by dice, but you're much more of a ladykiller than I thought :P :leer:Man, I keep forgetting about TWOIAf... only a month and a half or so to go.

Let's not forget the cool hats. Our king has impeccable taste :smug:

Taters, please stay safe. I'd love to make a joke about a potao running wild, but I just can't in a situation like this.

Your grace! Please send my best wishes to our queen. :grouphug:

Nice review.

I have a Shaun of the Dead trailer on one of the dvds I own. I like SP, and he is a good and funny Scotty on Star Trek, but I'm "allergic" to zombies and zombie movies*, so that trailer is all I'm ever going to watch of that.

*yes, I know wights = zombies. I tolerate them because it's ASOIAF and they're a very small part, but it still pisses me off that there are zombies in my soup story. :lol:

eta

I almost forget the thing I wanted to say with this post.

There's a comedian in this country named Jeff Foxworthy (or something like that). He has a whole line of jokes that start, "You might be a redneck if . . . .".

I think there's a place for Westerosi jokes that go something like, "You might be ASOIAF obsessed if . . . "

In my case the ellipses would be followed by, "if you read about 200 m high lava geisers in Iceland and think, 'wow, that's almost as high as The Wall.'"

Same here about Zombies. They're just really annoying to me.

"You might be ASOIAF obsessed if . . . "

• you answer a text message with "I'll send you a raven"
  • you comment on any kind of pies is "oh. Frey pies."
  • you use the term "Valar dohaeris" instead of "you're welcome"
  • you call your children "sweet summerchild"
  • you think a split second about paying the iron price when entering a grocery store but you pay the golden price, because:
  • a Lannister always pays his debt.
  • you say "Winter is coming" whenever you don't know what else to say
  • you mumble "the things I do for love" when you take out the garbage
  • you see a Santa Claus in the mall and yell "Ho-Ho-Hodor!"
  • you refer to your gouvernment as "the damn Citadel"
  • you open your eyes in the morning and grunt "and so my watch begins."
  • you find it hard to resist to ask "Where do whores go?" if someone says "are there any more questions?".

"You might be GoT obsessed if . . . "

• you see a woman teaching her child how to ask nicely ("what is the magic word?") and you think instantly: "Not today."
  • you see some politicians on TV droning on about political sitiuation in whatever-country and say: "If you think, this has an happy ending...."
  • you find it hard to resist to ask "What the fuck's a Lommy?" if someone says "are there any more questions?".

I don't think I'm obsessed. ;D

Has anyone seen Nog since the Con?

Your grace! Please send my best wishes to our queen. :grouphug:

Same here about Zombies. They're just really annoying to me.

"You might be ASOIAF obsessed if . . . "

• you answer a text message with "I'll send you a raven"
  • you comment on any kind of pies is "oh. Frey pies."
  • you use the term "Valar dohaeris" instead of "you're welcome"
  • you call your children "sweet summerchild"
  • you think a split second about paying the iron price when entering a grocery store but you pay the golden price, because:
  • a Lannister always pays his debt.
  • you say "Winter is coming" whenever you don't know what else to say
  • you mumble "the things I do for love" when you take out the garbage
  • you see a Santa Claus in the mall and yell "Ho-Ho-Hodor!"
  • you refer to your gouvernment as "the damn Citadel"
  • you open your eyes in the morning and grunt "and so my watch begins."
  • you find it hard to resist to ask "Where do whores go?" if someone says "are there any more questions?".
"You might be GoT obsessed if . . . "

• you see a woman teaching her child how to ask nicely ("what is the magic word?") and you think instantly: "Not today."
  • you see some politicians on TV droning on about political sitiuation in whatever-country and say: "If you think, this has an happy ending...."
  • you find it hard to resist to ask "What the fuck's a Lommy?" if someone says "are there any more questions?".

I don't think I'm obsessed. ;D

Has anyone seen Nog since the Con?

:rofl: I'm obsessed. :lmao:

Helo, Adara, Helena and Cora! :kiss:

Good morning spamigos :)

Busy - housing stuff. We do have a serious candidate now, an appartment in one of those absurdly large buildings. But the people seem nice, at least the few guys we've met so far. The construction is quite solid, there are a few things to do like new floor in the living room, but nothing we couldn't handle.

Good morning spamigos :)

Busy - housing stuff. We do have a serious candidate now, an appartment in one of those absurdly large buildings. But the people seem nice, at least the few guys we've met so far. The construction is quite solid, there are a few things to do like new floor in the living room, but nothing we couldn't handle.

Sorry...... I think I'm out of the loop :leaving: because I have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm going back on some of your post, searching for the beginning of this

Sorry...... I think I'm out of the loop :leaving: because I have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm going back on some of your post, searching for the beginning of this

I don't even think I mentioned it in this thread :) we're looking for an appartment. We will move, just don't know when and where to exactly.

Any news of Lany and her job?

Morning!

The previous books aren't just intertwined - they are kind of necessary (well, all the Fitz and Fool stuff). I would recommend starting at the beginning - a very good place to start.
*shows herself out for lame joke*
I never got around to seeing How to Train Your Dragon 2 You make me jealous!

The Sound of Music-themed jokes can never be lame!

I paid the iron price. :ninja:

King_Tyrion, the list:

The Realm of the Elderlings works, in.chronological order;

<snip>

But if you want to cut out some of the books, go from Assassin's Quest to Fool's Errand and miss out the Liveship Trilogy. Then after Fool's Fate skip the Rain Wild Chronicles and read Fool's Assassin.
Though I really.enjoyed both series, and can highly.recommend them

No no no no, do not miss out the Liveships! They are amazing! More interesting than Farseer, IMO.

Interesting you bought Hedge Knight yesterday and it just happened that I read it for the first time yesterday as well. Is there another Dunk & Egg story after that, and is it part of a collection as Hedge Knight is (here in the states, anyway).

Thanks!

I forgot that was coming out.

I thought that some of the flying scenes in the first "Dragon" were amazing. In the way you could really feel the sensation of flying in the pit of your stomach as you watched. I'd have loved to watch it in Imax - that would be awesome.

if it was anything like as good as that, I'd go right away.

On the topic of Hedge Knight, I discovered this yesterday evening, and it made me very happy. :)

And yes, the second movie is great.

I'm gonna need to go see a doctor soon. My right knee is acting funny again. Oh joy.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Hello there.

Hi everyone! Sorry for not dropping by, but I've been horribly busy lately - and the only free time I have is spent hosting Diplomacy.

I hope everyone is alright.

*waves* Long time no speak!

:P

I know I'm ASOIAF obsessed, based on my internet history

+1 :P

I don't even think I mentioned it in this thread we're looking for an appartment. We will move, just don't know when and where to exactly.

Good luck! (Do we happen to know where you are located? I just know you are in Germany.)

I don't even think I mentioned it in this thread :) we're looking for an appartment. We will move, just don't know when and where to exactly.

Any news of Lany and her job?

Oh, well good luck to you :Cheers:

Any reason in particular that you're moving?

I'm not sure? But Lany is definitely due for a check up from this chica, so I'm going to see... not much on her fb recently so I'm guessing she's being kept busy.

Archived