Characters unfairly judged.

Salafi Stannis

Renly deserved a little of the hate he get because of his lack of love for his family(Brothers and their kids( he did take care of Edric Storm))

Stannis also deserve some hate because of what he said about Gilly(that was low what he said about her)

Ned doesn't deserved the hate

Renly deserved a little of the hate he get because of his lack of love for his family(Brothers and their kids( he did take care of Edric Storm))

BrotherS?

As far as we know, Renly was a good brother to Robert, he even stayed with him in his last moments, after Ned had left him.

He was a dick to Stannis, but Stannis was a dick to him as well. I don't see anything deserving of hatred in the way he acted with him.

I'd say Renly. He gets a lot of flack for the single mistake of not accounting for an unheard of ghost-baby killer. Somehow that turns him into a brainless Icarus.

And then there's all the dismissals of his 'fashion sense' or being 'soft' or 'fabulous!' or w/e that are retracted to 'of course I'm not homophobic' whenever addressed directly.

Theon, I don't even like him, but he's the victim of overStarkensation. Even somehow the spear-wives get in on the act and scorn him for betraying a concept they utterly reject.

Robb, consequentialism.

Renly, who tried to usurp the throne from those kids who he believed where his brother's, and also from his actual elder brother Stannis, that Renly? Oh I do wonder why people hate him...

Very interesting topic. I talked about good/evil characters with my mother and my sister (AsoIaF passionate readers too) some days ago and we noticed that some bad characters are almost venerate, but on the other side heroic and honorable characters are despised. Maybe in foreign fandoms it's different, but here in Italy I noticed that Ramsay Snow is loved (especially by young girls!) and appreciate more than Jon Snow, for example, who is considered boring, not interesting and not fascinating as Ramsay.

I don't understand how could a woman appreciate a man like Ramsay Snow, who hunts and kills women for his pleasure.

I also think, as someone said in previous posts, that AsoIaF characters are full of shades: not one is totally evil or totally good, but they are not equal and cannot be judge the same way. Jon Snow, Jaime Lannister or even the Hound are tormented characters, Ramsay Snow has no mercy, no feelings... he doesn't care about the women he kills, he doesn't care about his “friends”, he doesn't care about his father... he cares about Reek in a perverse way, not because he loves him or cares about him.

Anyway, even if I don't like Ramsay as a person, I think that he's an interesting characters, just like all GRRM characters.

p.s. Forgive my English: I read books in English, but I'm not accustomed to write it and I decided to join this forum to improve my English too. :)

I'd say Theon, Stannis, Catelyn, and Sansa get unfairly judged.

Very interesting topic. I talked about good/evil characters with my mother and my sister (AsoIaF passionate readers too) some days ago and we noticed that some bad characters are almost venerate, but on the other side heroic and honorable characters are despised. Maybe in foreign fandoms it's different, but here in Italy I noticed that Ramsay Snow is loved (especially by young girls!) and appreciate more than Jon Snow, for example, who is considered boring, not interesting and not fascinating as Ramsay.

I don't understand how could a woman appreciate a man like Ramsay Snow, who hunts and kills women for his pleasure.

I also think, as someone said in previous posts, that AsoIaF characters are full of shades: not one is totally evil or totally good, but they are not equal and cannot be judge the same way. Jon Snow, Jaime Lannister or even the Hound are tormented characters, Ramsay Snow has no mercy, no feelings... he doesn't care about the women he kills, he doesn't care about his “friends”, he doesn't care about his father... he cares about Reek in a perverse way, not because he loves him or cares about him.

Anyway, even if I don't like Ramsay as a person, I think that he's an interesting characters, just like all GRRM characters.

p.s. Forgive my English: I read books in English, but I'm not accustomed to write it and I decided to join this forum to improve my English too. :)

I agree with you. I think GRRM had one point said that he's more focused on writing "interesting characters" rather than simply writing moral characters.

Theon, Cat, Sansa and Dany are treated worse then debt collecting pedophiles at times while people like Arya, Stannis, Olenna, Jaime and Wyman Manderly are fan favorites.

I do like these guys ( especially Arya & Jaime) but they have done far worse acts then the former who seem to get shat on for rather understandable acts.

I agree with everyone on your list except for Dany, who's an inept ruler and mass-murderer. Her storyline seems to even be a critique on U.S. foreign policy in the Middle East, but hey, maybe that's unintentional lol. Heh. Not that that would ever stop the rabid Dany fans (DanDans) from being rude to anyone that criticizes her actions.

Arya definitely gets off the hook for a lot of things. Can't blame you for putting her up there.

Theon, Cat, Sansa and Dany are treated worse then debt collecting pedophiles at times while people like Arya, Stannis, Olenna, Jaime and Wyman Manderly are fan favorites.

I do like these guys ( especially Arya & Jaime) but they have done far worse acts then the former who seem to get shat on for rather understandable acts.

You have a point about Jaime but Arya has not done far worse acts than Theon and Danny and probably Catelyn (if we include Lady Stoneheart).

BrotherS?

As far as we know, Renly was a good brother to Robert, he even stayed with him in his last moments, after Ned had left him.

He was a dick to Stannis, but Stannis was a dick to him as well. I don't see anything deserving of hatred in the way he acted with him.

He tried to usurp Stannis' throne, which was his by right, and if you think for whatever reason that that's okay, how about the way Renly tried to usurp the throne from the children who he thought were Roberts?

Welcome to the forums! :cheers:

Are you referring to TV Ramsay? Because several show watchers are infatuated with him, mainly because Iwan Rheon is such a charismatic author and in the show they try to depict him as badass.

P.S. Don't worry. Your english is fine. I am a non native speaker as well.

Wait, so you're telling me, that.... that little girls in Italy... like Ramsay Snow? Run, just run, run fast and run far, it doesn't matter where, for your own safety get the hell out of there. :uhoh: :stunned: :shocked:

Archived