Un-popular Opinion...(spoilers for end of aDwad)

JRose1989

I don't think Jon should come back.

Please stop yelling! [emoji15]

This is why. If in the first few chapters of that book we find out he has magically recovered, or was bought back by Melisandre... In my personal opinion that will SERIOUSLY diminish the shock factors of the books.

He would be the 4th pretty major character to be written off as dead only for martin to say 'OH NAH THEY AINT DEAD SEE????'

The main attraction of these books are their unpredictability, and having Jon come back and be AA and marry Dany and save the kingdom would just be way too sickeningly cliche.

The prelude in ADwD could be nothing more than a hint at what COULD have happened to Jon after his death...without needing to spell it out to the readers.

And I agree that RLJ is highly likely, but as martin is constantly saying the ending he has in mind is bittersweet. What could be more bittersweet than knowing the bastard that was shunned by everyone died before knowing that he was actually a dragon?

And Melisandre says she keeps asking for visions of AA and sees snow, doesn't have to be a name. Snow and ashes look similar, so could be ashes raining down from fire?

Ok that last one was pretty tenuous I'll grant you.

All I'm saying is I would be a little let down if Jon comes back all healthy and awesome.

And this is all just my personal opinion, was just interested to see if I was alone in it. No trolling here I promise!

1. GRRM doesn't "bring people back" so much as he doesn't confirm that people are dead, people draw conclusions with no evidence and are then proved wrong. The only major character he's actually brought back thus far, not counting UnGregor (who isn't a character now so much as a monster), is Catelyn. And she's hardly the same as the Catelyn who died.

2. GRRM has said that Jon will learn who is parents are. Can't do that if he's dead.

3. Not everyone thinks Jon to marry Dany and have a cliched Disney ending. It's not a choice between Jon being dead or that.

AHEM,

If melisandre is to bring back jon, it'll be by sacrificing what *she* thinks is Mance's son (kingsblood). what she *actually* has is Craster's final baby (first-blood), which belongs to The Others and has no kingsblood at all.

an acceptable twist: Jon resurrects, as an Other.

The main attraction of these books are their unpredictability, and having Jon come back and be AA and marry Dany and save the kingdom would just be way too sickeningly cliche.

Umm...jumping to conclusions much?

And I agree that RLJ is highly likely, but as martin is constantly saying the ending he has in mind is bittersweet. What could be more bittersweet than knowing the bastard that was shunned by everyone died before knowing that he was actually a dragon?

IIRC GRRM said Jon will find out his parentage. How does he do that if he's dead?

And Melisandre says she keeps asking for visions of AA and sees snow, doesn't have to be a name. Snow and ashes look similar, so could be ashes raining down from fire?

Ok that last one was pretty tenuous I'll grant you.

What?

All I'm saying is I would be a little let down if Jon comes back all healthy and awesome.

Jumping to conclusions again. He won't necessarily come back healthy and awesome. Look at UnCat.

Too many unanswered questions. He could die, but it's not time for that yet. It would be a terrible writing decision for what happened in ADWD to turn out to be his death. His dreams, his parentage, and his story hasn't been explained yet.

Way too much up in the air about him right now for him to be dead. It's almost treading into Lost territory.

1. GRRM doesn't "bring people back" so much as he doesn't confirm that people are dead, people draw conclusions with no evidence and are then proved wrong. The only major character he's actually brought back thus far, not counting UnGregor (who isn't a character now so much as a monster), is Catelyn. And she's hardly the same as the Catelyn who died.

2. GRRM has said that Jon will learn who is parents are. Can't do that if he's dead.

3. Not everyone thinks Jon to marry Dany and have a cliched Disney ending. It's not a choice between Jon being dead or that.

A guy marrying his aunt...a cliched Disney ending? Excuse me?

A guy marrying his aunt...a cliched Disney ending? Excuse me?

In a series where siblings/first cousins/other family members have married for love and when a sizable portion of people think of Jon and Dany marrying and ruling together as a "happy ending," then yeah. That is the closest thing to a saccharine Disney ending that this story could come. That's all I was saying, I apologize if it wasn't clear enough.

To the OP.

This is the second LC that the watch has attacked in a year, if Jon is brought back, but what Marsh and company did to him causes the wall to collaps, would that satisfy you?

Note, I'm not saying that this is what will happen, just asking a question.

some guy in the other thread argued that he may not even die

he's an idiot, but it's an interesting point

What makes you think he has to die? Barriston Selmy was terribly wounded in battle and is still around. People take the whole reborn thing too literally.

I agree with Apple Martini. Read what's on the page. The last bit of Jon, in ADWD, is, (paraphrased) Jon was grievously wounded, and fell down. People survive from grievous wounds in the real world, and in GRRM's world as well. Don't be overly expectant about the realism; it is a fantasy, after all. Otherwise, Jaime in ASOS would have gone like this: Zollo's blade flashed down. Jaime screamed. The next day, he died of septicemia. Jon's alive, for sure, but how and in what kind of shape we can question.

What makes you think he has to die? Barriston Selmy was terribly wounded in battle and is still around. People take the whole reborn thing too literally.

That's what i was trying to say. He isn't dead yet (as far as we know), just wounded.

Archived