Season 5 indirectly spoiling books? [book spoilers]

reddy95

We all know that s5 is gonna have some spoilers for winds of winter, because of bran and sansa's chapters caught up with the books. However, I believe there's also gonna be indirect ones as well. There are some main POV characters in thebook that have been removed from the show. So, does that mean that they are not actually important? The show might be different but it will have the same ending as the book. So does that mean arianne, victarion, (possibly) aegon are not gonna have a significant impact on the ending?

We all know that s5 is gonna have some spoilers for winds of winter, because of bran and sansa's chapters caught up with the books. However, I believe there's also gonna be indirect ones as well. There are some main POV characters in thebook that have been removed from the show. So, does that mean that they are not actually important? The show might be different but it will have the same ending as the book. So does that mean arianne, victarion, (possibly) aegon are not gonna have a significant impact on the ending?

We all already reached this conclusion >.<

I obviously don't think we can infer everything, but I think it gives us some information to make logical guesses about what's to come. Like Pyp and Grenn and Jojen...I would say we can infer they aren't very important to the story from here on out. Obviously, it's a guess, but it's a logical guess.

It is very strongly inferred.

IMO GRRM introduced a number of plot strands in AFFC/ADWD that will be resolved before the end game and it will be as if they had never been.

Robert, Renly, Viserys, Ned, Oberyn and Robb all died before the end game, and yet it would be ridiculous to say that it's "as if they had never been".

The plot strands and characters introduced in AFfC/ADwD are important for setting up the end game. Westeros and the main characters aren't yet in the position GRRM wants them to be during the war against the Others, hence the importance of the new plot strands.

Robert, Renly, Viserys, Ned, Oberyn and Robb all died before the end game, and yet it would be ridiculous to say that it's "as if they had never been".

The plot strands and characters introduced in AFfC/ADwD are important for setting up the end game. Westeros and the main characters aren't yet in the position GRRM wants them to be during the war against the Others, hence the importance of the new plot strands.

SOME of the plots and characters are important...others are not.

SOME of the plots and characters are important...others are not.

How do you know which ones are important and which aren't?

• Euron is clearly being set up as a huge antagonist, so the Ironborn plot is important.

Dorne is going to side with Aegon instead of Dany, so the Dornish plot so far is important.

Aegon is being set up as a huge antagonist to Dany, so his plot is important.

How do you know which ones are important and which aren't?

• Euron is clearly being set up as a huge antagonist, so the Ironborn plot is important.
  • Dorne is going to side with Aegon instead of Dany, so the Dornish plot so far is important.
  • Aegon is being set up as a huge antagonist to Dany, so his plot is important.

I don't know which ones are important yet. But I know that not all of them can be. I was simply pointing out that you said "The plot strands and characters introduced in AFfC/ADwD are important for setting up the end game" when really, not all of them will be. Some will, some won't.

The characters may be extraneous, but their actions may not. For instance, Victarion might still have major parts to play in the book, but if someone else already established in the show does what he's doing, it does make Vic superfluous. Cutting a character does not necessarily mean cutting a plotline; they just might be merging that storyline with another character, in order to streamline what is already a sprawling ensemble.

That depends if you read ASOIAF just for the ending. If yes and you value plot the most, i.e. you are the person who wants to guess the mysteries/solve the puzzles as fast as possible, then you will get spoiled. If no, you will get spoiled as well, but you recognize that it's not the end of the world as the richness of the text will make up for the lack of suspense. The text is allowed to get much deeper into commentaries, comparison and allusions after all.

I don't know which ones are important yet. But I know that not all of them can be. I was simply pointing out that you said "The plot strands and characters introduced in AFfC/ADwD are important for setting up the end game" when really, not all of them will be. Some will, some won't.

They're all important, or they wouldn't be in the book. Some will be more important than others, but none of them are extraneous. They are each important in setting up some part of the endgame, even if that's just to create more chaos in Westeros for when the Others make their attack.

The best example is probably Dorne. With their opposition to both the Lannisters and Daenerys, they're in an incredibly vulnerable position, which means that one of the two untouched armies is going to be severely weakened just when it's needed most.

Similarly, the Greyjoys are allying with Daenerys which puts her in an uncomfortable position, and they're also attacking areas of Westeros that have up until this point been untouched by the war.

You could simplify these in the show, but that doesn't mean they're not important in the books.

And it looks increasingly likely that the endgame on the show and the endgame in the books will be quite different.

What might be an important plot point in the books might not be one on the show.

I think it is said in an interview or something, that no matter how much the show changes, the ending will be the same

I think it is said in an interview or something, that no matter how much the show changes, the ending will be the same

Yeah, I think the endgame will definitely be one and the same, just the journey there will be a bit different in places.

But what do they mean by "the ending".

I mean, you can have them both end with, for the sake of argument, Hotpie sitting on the iron throne. But if in the books Hotpie makes and alliance with Euron Greyjoy, marries Arianne Martell and manages to kill all three of Dany's Dragons with the help of Jon Snow and ends up with Tyrion as his Hand, while in the show he teams up with Trystane and Jaime, marries Myrcella, Jon Snow and Dany get married and rule in Winterfell after Tyrion smashes all the dragons with a giant rock, is that the "same ending"? Hotpie is still in the chair.

Anything supporting that? I saw this, but what does anyone mean by the "end"? That's not discussed. The ending for various characters could be quite different. And we can't "know" there are TWOW spoilers, unless they tell us there are TWOW spoilers.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/18/game-of-thrones-season-5/

Anything supporting that? I saw this, but what does anyone mean by the "end"? That's not discussed. The ending for various characters could be quite different. And we can't "know" there are TWOW spoilers, unless they tell us there are TWOW spoilers.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/18/game-of-thrones-season-5/

i think, when it comes to game of thrones and it's multitude of characters, the ending would mean the individual endings of the main characters. The lesser characters may have different fates. Just like gren, pyp and jojen. Plus, it is very very likely that the endings of each main character are going to tie up together to bring about the collective ending. So, you can't have different book to show character endings, while still having the same all around ending

I expect another casting announcement so I haven't given up hope on some of these subplots. Also do keep in mind that with the introduction of new characters they have to slow the plot so people can get to know the newbies. Arianne and several others could come in for Season 6.

I expect another casting announcement so I haven't given up hope on some of these subplots. Also do keep in mind that with the introduction of new characters they have to slow the plot so people can get to know the newbies. Arianne and several others could come in for Season 6.

With Tristayne Martell being the 'heir' to Dorne, I don't see them bringing in Arianne at all.

Archived