Did Ramsay and Ser Alliser Thorne write the pink letter?

whitewolfwalking.

Firstly, a lot of these subjects relating to this theory have been touched on before and I'm not stating this as canon just looking for feedback/other people's views.

The infamous pink letter is where we'll start..

There's a lot of debate about who wrote the letter i know but for the purposes of this theory I base it on Ramsay being the author due to the handwriting, knowledge of reek and the pink Bolton seal. The content however contains things which many claim Ramsay wouldn't know the details of. Examples being Mances true identity (Thorne being of the nights watch could know this) the knowledge of Stannis and lightbringer ( co conspirators we'll touch more on later) how to get under Jon's skin..

There's also the overuse of the word bastard.

I believe Thorne is in Winterfell after being sent on his ranging ( discussions about hooded man identity aplenty ). I also believe Thorne may have engineered the assasination of Jon by conspiring with other members of the nights watch. Perhaps knowing how Jon would react to the news in the letter? We know Thorne hates Jon and is probably miffed about being sent on that ranging. He could gain from the situation of Jon being displaced, perhaps as new lord commander?

This leads to the co conspirators, it's quite possible that Thorne had contact with fellow brothers, we know he and Slynt had somewhat of a following. This not only allows him to cross back over the wall, but also to keep an eye on events at the wall. Stannis departure, the political situation and discontent of some brothers (Bowen marsh etc). Trusting he had a contact at the wall this easily allows him to plot with other members, judging Jon would march on Winterfell leaving the co conspirators no choice other than to follow Thorne's plan, leaving leadership open for him to take. You can picture him saying " I'll show you all what that traitors bastard is really like.."

I feel Ramsay and Thorne have a lot to gain from each other in the short term and both seem to be cruel and not one to take being crossed lightly. I also feel this is more plausible than just one person knowing all the details contained in the letter or someone lying in the letter to trick Jon. Both Ramsay and Thorne benefit from Jon's death, it prevents reinforcements for Stannis from the north with Thorne in charge of the nights watch again and leaves only Stannis, who is stranded in the snow currently, in direct opposition of complete Bolton dominion over the north.

Thanks for reading and if this had been mentioned before I am sorry, please feel free to argue for or against this!

this whole theory relies on Thorne being way more intelligent that what we've seen from him in the books. Also him taking on a leading role, which is not so easy to believe as he has always been one who follows and there's plenty of people who hates him even more than Jon.

Also, Thorne ended up in the BW because he was a Targaryen supporter. Tywin gave him the option of taking the black or dying. I believe that this added to his rough encounters with Tyrion as a guest of Castle Black and as Hand of the King, makes him both resenful of Stark, Baratheon and Lannister houses. So why he would join either of them or their supporters? All of them are responsible he ended up in the wall after all.

But I guess is plausible, but I just don't see Thorne being in a position to take the lead of the NW as there's people with more charisma and popularity. Also I don't recall he having any kind of love for wildlings which can lead to disaster... I'm more suscribed to the idea that The Mance turned on Jon, maybe even under Mel's advise.

This just seems like a bridge too far. I just can't see a way that Alliser and Ramsay could connect and make this happen. I think that if Alliser truly wanted to get rid of Jon there are far simpler ways to accomplish that. I, too am more convinced of Mance having double crossed Jon.

Ones in winter fell ones north of the wall were 3 of them are dead already. I didn't no throne carried a glass candle or ravens on him at all times Throne is like better then Lf if this is the case

No.

Ser Alliser Thorne would have to murder two experienced rangers, make it around the Wall without encountering any Black Brother, got some top secret information from Castle Black which is restricted to Jon himself and Melisandre, excuse the murder of two well-respected rangers to anybody he talks with, make his way south without being captured as a deserter, sneak into Winterfell and somehow convince Ramsay to cooperate instead of flaying him... no.

No.

Ser Alliser Thorne would have to murder two experienced rangers, make it around the Wall without encountering any Black Brother, got some top secret information from Castle Black which is restricted to Jon himself and Melisandre, excuse the murder of two well-respected rangers to anybody he talks with, make his way south without being captured as a deserter, sneak into Winterfell and somehow convince Ramsay to cooperate instead of flaying him... no.

I believe that to be a very succinct debunking.

• 3 weeks later...

I've read many arguments regarding this issue and yours is the most convincing; I also feel that it has to do with the person who was doing the killings at Winterfell. We later on found out that the Singer was doing most of the killings, true, but he denied killing the last 2 victims at the end if I recall correctly. (When Theon and the girls (the washerwomen) asked him, he said that these last two were not his doing). That seemed very conspicuous.

Archived