(f)Aegon is one of the three heads of the dragon

Bringer of Rain

I had previously overlooked some of the finer details of this quote:

“No,” said Septon Meribald. “When the smith’s son was an old man, a bastard son of the fourth Aegon rose up in rebellion against his trueborn brother and took for his sigil a black dragon. These lands belonged to Lord Darry then, and his lordship was fiercely loyal to the king. The sight of the black iron dragon made him wroth, so he cut down the post, hacked the sign into pieces, and cast them into the river. One of the dragon’s heads washed up on the Quiet Isle many years later, though by that time it was red with rust.”

Note that it was ONE of the THREE HEADS of the dragon that washed up.

It was previously black, and then turned red with rust. This signifies (f)Aegon being a blackfyre but believing he is a Targ as so many of you believe.

He is a blackfyre that has essentially come out of the woodworks or 'washed up' and believes he is a Targ though is still one of the three heads of the dragon.

Yeah, I've noticed that myself.

Didn't GRRM said that not all of the head of the dragons needed to be Targaryen?

Surprise! He isn't :D

Me too. I actually brought this up again in a thread a few days ago. I think it was Greymoon who also pointed out the same thing a while back, before I noticed it. That line reads like it could be referring to the THotD prophecy.

If he is one of the heads of the dragon, or not, he can still execute his claim as a Targaryen, even if he is the son of Illyrio and Serra, as so much people suggest.

When the Targaryen bastards were legitimized, did they actually get the name Blackfyre, of did they get legitimized as Targaryen? Because, if they changed their names to Blackfyre after being legitimized, then they still could've claimed the IT as Targaryens later, couldn't they?

I think Aegon is one of the three great Dragonriders. Him, Dany and one said bastard of a Targaryen that may be either from the westerlands or the north.

If he will fight/die in the DotD 2.0, or if he'll live to see the Wall go down, I don't know. But I'm 99% sure that this boy is riding Rhaegal to battle for sure. 1% Viserion chance.

The three heads of the dragon are supposed to save the world, not fight each other. So if Aegon is one of the heads (and black or red doesn't matter, a Blackfyre is a Targaryen) he won't be fighting against Dany. That means if there is to be a Dance 2.0 someone else will be the opponent *cough, Daario, cough*

Possible,Possible. It might be REALLY interesting. I cant shake the feeling that this boy is meant for something big. Also if he is a blackfyre,it will mean that the old enimity between the two houses is finally over. Also count me in those who think he will ride Rheagal :thumbsup:

fAegon feel like character who will just die because he's irrelevant and will just be used as Dany's rival in the second dance of the dragons.

There is nothing special about him, he's not really smart, nor a great warrior, he's basically Varys's pet.

I don't expect much from him honestly, Varys/Illyrio are the real deal.

fAegon feel like character who will just die because he's irrelevant and will just be used as Dany's rival in the second dance of the dragons.

There is nothing special about him, he's not really smart, nor a great warrior, he's basically Varys's pet.

I don't expect much from him honestly, Varys/Illyrio are the real deal.

Varys/Illyrio=Aegon.

I had previously overlooked some of the finer details of this quote:

No, said Septon Meribald. When the smiths son was an old man, a bastard son of the fourth Aegon rose up in rebellion against his trueborn brother and took for his sigil a black dragon. These lands belonged to Lord Darry then, and his lordship was fiercely loyal to the king. The sight of the black iron dragon made him wroth, so he cut down the post, hacked the sign into pieces, and cast them into the river. One of the dragons heads washed up on the Quiet Isle many years later, though by that time it was red with rust.

Note that it was ONE of the THREE HEADS of the dragon that washed up.

It was previously black, and then turned red with rust. This signifies (f)Aegon being a blackfyre but believing he is a Targ as so many of you believe.

He is a blackfyre that has essentially come out of the woodworks or 'washed up' and believes he is a Targ though is still one of the three heads of the dragon.

So Aegon is washed up already. He just doesn't know it yet. Anyway, I am getting tired of seeing this quote and now think that it has no foreshadowing value whatsoever. But then almost all claims of foreshadowing are BS in my opinion.

Pasting what I've written previously about the tavern sign. I'll say it until I'm blue in the face, but it's a flawed analogy, and one I see being relevant to the QI more and more.

The tavern sign could also apply to the Golden Company. In fact it almost fits better in that case, because you could argue that the Golden Company was “hacked to pieces” moreso than Aegon (there’s been what, five rebellions?). Additionally, many of the popular BF theories place Aegon as being born in Essos, so he was never exactly “cast” into the river/sea. The GC was, however, multiple times (always retreating across the Narrow Sea).

It’s obviously not a perfect parallel one way or the other, but I think it’s hard to call it solid evidence for Aegon being a BF, when it could just as easily be nice foreshadowing for the GC’s shifted allegiance. If it was about Aegon, does that imply that there are two other BF heads out there, and only he is posing as a Targ?

This could have merely been a story by Septon Meribald to imply that there are healing powers on the QI. The strife of the red vs. black dragon was somehow healed in this parable, after the one head wishes up on the QI's shores. It also sounds like it could be a parable to educate about the shifting nature of allegiances and the dangers of dogmatic loyalty to any cause.

Archived