Going from ASOIAF to A Wheel of Time possible?

Lord Orys

I like how it's apparently not ok to insult Tolkien but insulting everyone else is fine.

Edit: Bah, stupid phone.

But it basically goes liek this:

"How dare someone insult someone's work! That Mieville guys work sucks dicks!"

Cmon, even I'm not that obvious when I'm trolling.

You must be a biiig fan of Morecock and Morgan as well.

I thought it was clear there is no point in arguing because it is done to death and there are people on BOTH sides. You present your opinion as fact and I pointed out that many (not all by any means) disagree. It is not a fact; it is opinion. Chill out. After your behavior in the Malazan thread, I should have learned you are not worth my time.

Um... There are people on "BOTH" sides of almost every argument, and yet many are still worth arguing, especially something that is very much on topic here, unlike your childish insults. And no, I did not present my opinion as fact, but you seem to have trouble distinguishing the two. Perhaps I should have added "IN MY OPINION" at the end of that post to help you out.

• 2 weeks later...

Read the Rec threads. There are a lot of great books out there that can fill the gap, and some you might actually find better than ASoIF out there in the world.

I personally grew to dislike WoT. I was a pretty die hard fan in the 90's. Joined Wotmaina (a board like this for wot, and what eventually led me to here), participated in the conspiracy threads, went to book signings, the whole smash.

As I grew up, and was exposed to other works in the genre, I stared to realize how poorly written, structured, and what a fucking over all mess the books were. It also became very obvious that the books were being stretched out either to make a buck, or because he needed a better editor (here's an Idea, don't make your wife the person that has to tell you 'no').

I would recommend reading them to my 13 year old, but to no one over that age. They are immature, and only get worse with time. Sanderson is, himself, a poor author, and added nothing to the books by taking them over.

Like I said, go browse the rec threads, start with some Abercrombie, (also, avoid that list by Tobliki, it doesn't look all that great), and then pick up something by Wolfe.

As I grew up, and was exposed to other works in the genre, I stared to realize how poorly written, structured, and what a fucking over all mess the books were. It also became very obvious that the books were being stretched out either to make a buck, or because he needed a better editor (here's an Idea, don't make your wife the person that has to tell you 'no').

I would recommend reading them to my 13 year old, but to no one over that age. They are immature, and only get worse with time. Sanderson is, himself, a poor author, and added nothing to the books by taking them over.

I disagree. WoT is still one of my favourite series, and I'm definitly older than 13.

I've quit WoT after third book and haven't looked back since.

It was plain old boring. I'd read 400 pages and get a 50 pages worth max.

Thinking of reading WoT is dreadful enough, but thinking of reading it post ASoIaF is much much worse.

Yeah, judge my taste on one series I like. Very mature.

What are you doing here? Is this an attempt at an argument? Please, just, stop. The books are childish. I'm sure deep down you know that, but are hanging onto the nostalgic joy they brought you as a child (at least I hope you are, anything else is just sad). I'm not really looking to banter about with some misguided fantasy fan on the inter webs. I've got enough warning points under my belt to know this type of circular conversation goes no where.

Enjoy your poor taste, I hope you don't infect others.

To the OP:

Like I said, there is a lot of good stuff out there, check out the rec threads, but I'd avoid WoT. You'll just be disappointed. Or who knows, maybe you'll like all the spanking, hair pulling, frustrating social interactions, and poor political dynamics.

What are you doing here? Is this an attempt at an argument? Please, just, stop. The books are childish. I'm sure deep down you know that, but are hanging onto the nostalgic joy they brought you as a child (at least I hope you are, anything else is just sad). I'm not really looking to banter about with some misguided fantasy fan on the inter webs. I've got enough warning points under my belt to know this type of circular conversation goes no where.

Enjoy your poor taste, I hope you don't infect others.

To the OP:

Like I said, there is a lot of good stuff out there, check out the rec threads, but I'd avoid WoT. You'll just be disappointed. Or who knows, maybe you'll like all the spanking, hair pulling, frustrating social interactions, and poor political dynamics.

Do you talk to people live this in real life? Either answer makes you pathetic.

I also enjoy the books and Sanderson as well. I have an English Lit degree and an MBA, as well as a wife and kids. Maturity has nothing to do with it. It's only opinions.

Do you talk to people live this in real life? Either answer makes you pathetic.

I also enjoy the books and Sanderson as well. I have an English Lit degree and an MBA, as well as a wife and kids. Maturity has nothing to do with it. It's only opinions.

Are we comparing resumes?

Cool

17 years in the Military (10 active duty, 7 reserve). 13 years as a professional Fire Fighter. Life saver, all around bad ass, and well grounded in reality. One wife, one well rounded completely awesome 13 year old son. Just got my bachelor degree (I served my country before going to college, didn't really have any other option), and I have no phone issues.

I talk to people living in reality everyday. Some i'm sure from a socio demographic background you've never encountered. (which, shockingly is one of the reasons I'm up this goddam early in the morning)

See, Life is full of options. We could all sit around in a room drink beer, shoot up some opiates and call the fire department when our buddies aren't breathing anymore. We have that option. But it's not the mature thing to do. Much like recommending a shitty book to someone, or liking said book. Might be the right thing for a 13 - 17 year old to read, but it's not really what you would call a 'mature' work. And like I said. I'm sure you know that. You just want to fight on the internet (something you seem to have a fondness for). Don't get me wrong, I'm alright with that, but you just look foolish in this case.

The books are bad. I'm talking epically bad. They may not be up to sanderson, stanek, or the Yeard's level. But they are bad. They only get worse with time, and exposure to better works of fiction.

Skip em.

ETA: I want to get this in before the lock. MODS: I've tried to be civil here. Stuck to the topic, and only responded when attacked. No ban or warning point is warranted.

Are we comparing resumes?

Cool

17 years in the Military (10 active duty, 7 reserve). 13 years as a professional Fire Fighter. Life saver, all around bad ass, and well grounded in reality. One wife, one well rounded completely awesome 13 year old son. Just got my bachelor degree (I served my country before going to college, didn't really have any other option), and I have no phone issues.

I talk to people living in reality everyday. Some i'm sure from a socio demographic background you've never encountered. (which, shockingly is one of the reasons I'm up this goddam early in the morning)

See, Life is full of options. We could all sit around in a room drink beer, shoot up some opiates and call the fire department when our buddies aren't breathing anymore. We have that option. But it's not the mature thing to do. Much like recommending a shitty book to someone, or liking said book. Might be the right thing for a 13 - 17 year old to read, but it's not really what you would call a 'mature' work. And like I said. I'm sure you know that. You just want to fight on the internet (something you seem to have a fondness for). Don't get me wrong, I'm alright with that, but you just look foolish in this case.

The books are bad. I'm talking epically bad. They may not be up to sanderson, stanek, or the Yeard's level. But they are bad. They only get worse with time, and exposure to better works of fiction.

Skip em.

ETA: I want to get this in before the lock. MODS: I've tried to be civil here. Stuck to the topic, and only responded when attacked. No ban or warning point is warranted.

How have I offended you? You're attacking me, not the other way around. I just said I disagree with you. Simply stating something, not searching for a fight. You are being offensive.

I just like the books. That's no reason for insulting me.

How have I offended you? You're attacking me, not the other way around. I just said I disagree with you. Simply stating something, not searching for a fight. You are being offensive.

I just like the books. That's no reason for insulting me.

You realize this was not directed at you, right?

Blah, again. Don't really give a damn, the books are bad. Read something else.

That's my story. I'm sticking to it.

Don't know what to tell ya. You have horrible taste. Try and keep that shit to yourself, and not spread it around.

*Sigh* Not this again...

Taste is not objective, it is subjective. Someone else's tastes are no more valid to you than yours are to them.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/48084-fantasy-recommendations-series/page-6 shows my original refutation that you are objectively superior in taste to other boarders - a view you seem to be a proponent of.

You seem to have generally good input except when someones opinion differs to yours in which case you seem to take offence. When someone disagrees with you don't take it so personal dude. Variety is the spice of life after all and after reading your life resume I expect you should/do know this.

Back on topic. I am a big fan of WoT. Is it the best thing ever written in its genre? No. Is it flawed? Yes. Though I still have a place for WoT in my heart and I loved the epicness of the story and the scope of the Worldbuilding. This is my informed opinion of my own taste.

*Sigh* Not this again...

Taste is not objective, it is subjective. Someone else's tastes are no more valid to you than yours are to them.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/48084-fantasy-recommendations-series/page-6 shows my original refutation that you are objectively superior in taste to other boarders - a view you seem to be a proponent of.

You seem to have generally good input except when someones opinion differs to yours in which case you seem to take offence. When someone disagrees with you don't take it so personal dude. Variety is the spice of life after all and after reading your life resume I expect you should/do know this.

Back on topic. I am a big fan of WoT. Is it the best thing ever written in its genre? No. Is it flawed? Yes. Though I still have a place for WoT in my heart and I loved the epicness of the story and the scope of the Worldbuilding. This is my informed opinion of my own taste.

When did I 'take it personal?'

You and I are saying the same things. I just chose to abandon the books, you stuck with your fandom. Good for you.

I still have found memories of them. But I was a kid.

They are not well written. That's not a subjective matter. By any metric they don't hold up well. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. Some can overlook that. I can't.

Archived