Going from ASOIAF to A Wheel of Time possible?

Lord Orys

When did I 'take it personal?'

You and I are saying the same things. I just chose to abandon the books, you stuck with your fandom. Good for you.

I still have found memories of them. But I was a kid.

They are not well written. That's not a subjective matter. By any metric they don't hold up well. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. Some can overlook that. I can't.

I assumed when you wrote out your life in a nutshell it was an emotionally charged post - if I misconstrued then my apologies.

I agree with you that writing quality can and must be viewed objectively, but when you tell someone else their taste is bad, this has nothing to do with writing quality. Writing quality and someones enjoyment of a novel are not always synonymous so you cannot just tell someone they have bad taste and infer your opinion is more valid.

Taste is subjective and entirely personal - your taste is no more valid than mine or anyone else. They may not be particularly well written but they tell (again this is IMO) a fantastically epic story which has twists and turns and some great politicking along the way.

If you have chosen to change your opinion based on the writing quality that is entirely up to you and I respect your opinion as I assume it is informed and valid to you.

Anyway I hope I have made myself clear.

PS: I love your avatar. Subjectively speaking - of course. :)

Don't know what to tell ya. You have horrible taste. Try and keep that shit to yourself, and not spread it around.

Ugh sorry dude but that's pretty obnoxious and shitty of you, who made you the authority of good taste? Telling someone to essentially shut up and keep their opinions to themselves is pretty pathetic.17 years in the military and it seems like you have no respect for others, even if they have a different opinion to you, that's no reason to act like a flog.

I'm currently up to book 10 in the series and enjoying it. I agree with a lot of the criticism so far with the series, e.g. writing at times is way too descriptive, a lot of the characters are poorly written, it's bloated etc. But that doesn't mean it's bad and I don't like it. The world building is excellent, the themes explored are interesting and the narrative itself is fairly good. I understand why some people simply don't like WoT but I also understand why people love it. It's probably the most polarizing fantasy series of all time.

He'll just keep digging his own hole. Hmm, he has multiple warnings from the mods. I can't possibly imagine why.

There are ways to dislike a series without insulting everyone. And yet he thinks he is attacked and insulted when called out on it?

@polishgenius - I learn quickly

Excuse the title I gave to this thread. I'm not particularly asking whether or not WoT is a good series or not, who has the best job resume, or who has phone issues.

But my reason for the title "Going from ASOIAF to Wheel of Time possible?" wasn't to bring hate to the series or author. As someone who has read through ASOIAF multiple times, I really just love the whole gray ambiguous morality the series has to offer.

I've started to read The Eye of The World, and within the prologue it hints to a whole "Light and Dark, Good versus Evil" type plot that's going to go down. Its also kinda easy to pick up that Rand will ascend from being an innocent scared farmboy to the hero of the series.

My main hope for reading these books is that there will be some twist in the plot or there will be some ambiguous character change where everything isn't so black and white (I know some people like this trope but I can't stand it), So I wanted to create the thread to get some insight from fans of the series who would be able to tell me generally "Yeah it gets better" or "No this is Star Wars Light and Dark Tier".

I'm sorry this thread exploded into

Enjoy your poor taste, I hope you don't infect others.

How have I offended you? You're attacking me, not the other way around. I just said I disagree with you. Simply stating something, not searching for a fight. You are being offensive.

I just like the books. That's no reason for insulting me.

Sorry, this is peterbound's way with many things.

Don't let it get to you.

Excuse the title I gave to this thread. I'm not particularly asking whether or not WoT is a good series or not, who has the best job resume, or who has phone issues.

But my reason for the title "Going from ASOIAF to Wheel of Time possible?" wasn't to bring hate to the series or author. As someone who has read through ASOIAF multiple times, I really just love the whole gray ambiguous morality the series has to offer.

I've started to read The Eye of The World, and within the prologue it hints to a whole "Light and Dark, Good versus Evil" type plot that's going to go down. Its also kinda easy to pick up that Rand will ascend from being an innocent scared farmboy to the hero of the series.

My main hope for reading these books is that there will be some twist in the plot or there will be some ambiguous character change where everything isn't so black and white (I know some people like this trope but I can't stand it), So I wanted to create the thread to get some insight from fans of the series who would be able to tell me generally "Yeah it gets better" or "No this is Star Wars Light and Dark Tier".

I'm sorry this thread exploded into

To your question, it's kinda yes and no.

The ultimate enemy here is definitely good vs bad. It's literally Satan and the series is never shy about making this clear.

That said, the reasons behind all the obstacles between whoever the protagonists are at the time is extremely varied. Everything from "people working for evil for varied and sometimes interesting reasons" to "selfish people not accepting the gravity of the situation" to "people on the same side with vastly different ideas of how fighting evil should be done".

Basically, from that angle, it's a well done and varied take on the standard "Petty squabbling in the face of armageddon" plotline.

Of course, ASOIAF itself is the same kind of thing (or so it seems at the moment). Just with armageddon having less explictly moral dimensions.

I'll say this: there's no doubt that the world has ultimate Good and ultimate Evil.

But that's the end of it. The main characters are far from Good. And there is quite a lot of criticism of moral absolutes (developed through multiple arcs).

Basically, in the WoT world (and in Westeros for that matter) someone like Cersei would be just as grey. Its just that the Ramseys and Gregors are literally allied with the devil.

I've quit WoT after third book and haven't looked back since.

It was plain old boring. I'd read 400 pages and get a 50 pages worth max.

Thinking of reading WoT is dreadful enough, but thinking of reading it post ASoIaF is much much worse.

Since I haven't posted on this board for years - I can only quote.

I tried it, I tried it so hard. I bought all the books just to, you know, motivate me and after the third book I threw em all into a corner.

It isn't the story which is classical fantasy which annoyed me, but gosh. Those books were SO boring.

To the OP: You will never now IF you do not try yourself. I personally hate the WOT series.

I first read AOIAF, and then reread it, and then analyzed it and became obsessed with it, and then started reading WoT... And, yes, it is not easy...

Generally, Jordan is not that bad. But he is not that good too. He is basically average. The characters are so simplistic, one-dimensional and rather cliche. Don't even make me start about female characters in that series and the fact that main hero gets three girls just by snapping the finger. Then the fact that we have to know every lord and Aes Sedai of the universe. There is a line that had to be drawn here, and Jordan didn't do it. He wanted to be Tolkien but forgot the beauty of exact balance between complexity and simplicity of Tolkien's work. Not to mention Jordan's version of "game of thrones" which was rather too simplistic and rather not at all intellectually demanding. I have finished book 10, and although reading is like watching ECG, up and down, up and down...

All and all, nothing special. Too long, too many unimportant thing, lack of subtlety and simplicity... Not a huge fan, but OK. Nice summer read, nothing more.

Archived