Going from ASOIAF to A Wheel of Time possible?

Lord Orys

Excuse me? Why would you think I do not know the word ''homage''? There's no need to be rude, and being just that doesn't make me stupid. They're called manners, try them.

I would never dispute that Jordan was successful at world building, that's one of the things I enjoyed most about WoT. As you say, so does Martin. My only comment on the distinction between the two is that personally I think Martin has written a better series.

Actually, I have read all of Wheel of Time. My thoughts of each character developed over time as they did, but I can't think of any of the books where I didn't find at least one of the plot arcs compelling. Apart from maybe book 10, that sucked balls.

Well, you obviously missed that the beginning was an homage to the Lord of the Rings, in any case, I also think Ice and Fire is better, but the first 6 books of Wheel of Time are some of the better fantasy novels our there, what happens after those books...well...

Just because yall have poor tastes and the temperament of a 12 year-old doesnt mean we should all walk on eggshells around you. Just because yall refuse to see the profoundness and beauty of ASOIAF doesnt mean its not there. Get out of your bubble please. And get over yourselves. This echo-chamber has left yall swimming in a pool of black semen while we, the true readers of real literature, get to enjoy this work that not only defined the genre, but entertainment altogether--A Song of Ice and Fire--over and over.

Dont get me wrong, I understand where yall are coming from. I was a sub-literate fool as well once, but that all changed the day I first saw HBOs GoT. That day I saw the light. I found Jesus, and there is no turning back.

+1 good stuff!

Yes, there is definitely the sense that these two have turned towards the stupidity of the x-box/PSx, CoD/MW, Coke/Pepsi side of things.

I adored Wheel of Time when it started and slouched towards the end of the series some 20 years later. I got the first book in trade paperback form the year it came out as a Christmas present from my Mother. I really cared a lot about those characters, as much as I care about the characters in Ice and Fire, but then the last book came out for Wheel of Time and I found it pretty horrible, it has dulled my enjoyment of the series as a whole.

It is quite possible to go from Ice and Fire to Wheel of Time if you accept that the first few books are very good, but pretty standard fantasy fare, around Lord of Chaos it definitely starts drifting darker, but in a more meta sense. You don't tend to actually see the bodies, but if you read carefully you will know there are lots of them piling up, heck that starts happening earlier in the series, but LoC throws it a bit closer to your face.

It's comparable to when you listen to the Doors for the first time. You hear Jim Morrison and you think he is this amazing poet and then you discover real poets like Ezra Pound, Edna St. Vincent, Walt Whitman, or Shakespeare and all of a sudden he's not as great as you thought. Same thing happened to me. I started WoT back when it was first published in paperback and made to book four or five before I'd had enough. I gave up fantasy for the most part until ASoIaF. Tried reading The Eye of the World again a year or so ago and just could not get back into it.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is this thread still active?

You can't go from Ice and Fire to Wheel of Time. Actually, you can't read anything else after Ice and Fire. The books are far surperior to every other fantasy. To every other book in every other genre. After reading them Shakespeare's works seem to be written by a 5-year-old.

So, sorry, if you have read Ice and Fire, or watched Game of Thrones, every other book, show or movie is ruined for you.

You can't go from Ice and Fire to Wheel of Time. Actually, you can't read anything else after Ice and Fire. The books are far surperior to every other fantasy. To every other book in every other genre. After reading them Shakespeare's works seem to be written by a 5-year-old.

So, sorry, if you have read Ice and Fire, or watched Game of Thrones, every other book, show or movie is ruined for you.

We kept it going just to get your goat.

Not all characters are wholly good or wholly evil in WoT. Yes the dividing line between light and dark, good and evil is more defined in WoT but this is as a consequence of the plot. However, there seems to be this weird consensus that Martin is the first person to write morally ambiguous characters.

Some of the character motivations and relationships are a bit off in WoT but I think the epicness of the overall series makes it worth the read.

Opinions do vary on this and it is quite a heated topic.

Also I don't understand how someone can read a series 3 times and then do a character read, is there nothing else out there on your reading list? Two reads of a series is normally enough to hold the plot firmly in ones mind.

Others will probably disagree with me but that's my two cents.

I know there are people on this forum who have read ASOIAF at least 8 times (not myself), so yes others will probably disagree with you.

Reading any series 8 times seems crazy to me!

Some people watch the same films/series over again - I suppose I am just not a repeat consumer.

I have read books more than once - but so far the most I have ever read a series is twice. I always have other novels I want to read so find it hard to justify a re-read. I will already die having read far too few books!

No problem with people having their own reading habits and I did expect some disagreement. Variety is the spice of life and all that. :)

But seriously.... 8 times...... :P

I've read some books (LotR, Dragonflight etc.) more than once, but ASoIaF is only series I've ever re-read.

In my experience, re-reading ASoIaF gives you a whole new perspective on the events in the book, plus shows you how much details and hints you've missed on your initial read.

Plus, I've read it in two languages so that has to count for something ;)

Oh, God... Let we not make ASOIAF into something it isn't (or worse, make GoT sound way better than it is). Martin is superb in many areas and he certainly is brilliant in working with plethora of themes. But, there certainly is better authors, better books etc. Simply, ASOIAF isn't the peak of literature craftsmanship, as much as we fans consider it to be.

As for rereding it for 8 times, wow... I have reread it 2-3 times, and I find it enough.

Just started reading The Gathering Storm, Sandersons writing style isn't as good as Jordans judging from what I've read so far, in fact the Aviendha chapter I just read was terrible :/ . For the most part he's very literal, and he's trying to articulate to the reader that he understands whats going on in the world, and wants the reader to know it, it's jarring to say the least.

Archived