LGBTQI - youtube is awesome!

eyenon15

http://touch.towleroad.com/all/2014-08-family-disowns-and-abuses-child-after-he-comes-out-tells-him-he-is-choosing-his-path-video.html?oswbuild=b0.29&mediaKey=towleroad&ref=http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FDS5409nKvY&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.towleroad.com%2F2014%2F08%2Ffamily-disowns-and-abuses-child-after-he-comes-out-tells-him-he-is-choosing-his-path-video.html&oswts=1409347379738

WARNING: the video is very disturbing.

Wow, just....wow.

Could and should these people be charged with some sort of domestic abuse plus hate crime????

In better news for the kid, he's received over 40k in donation to start his new life after being thrown out.

Here's a Youtube link to just the video

http://youtu.be/1df_i26wh-w

From the last thread.

I think this is where we have a fundamental disagreement on a lot of these topics. I don't think hiding is the way forward. I fully respect your right to do so and I understand why one would, but in my view it's merely a band aid. If you hide, the issue doesn't leave and while some people might dodge being discovered forever others aren't so lucky. Openness might be painting a bullseye on our chests for a little while, but in the long run it is to be hoped that it will result in an improvement.

Two little issues. About, "hiding", how am I hiding? I live my life pretty much the same as everyone round me. I walk the dogs, go grocery shopping, go to movies and other entertainment venues, just like everyone else. Like other retired folks, I hang out around the house a bit more than I used to. I have conversations with people around me, etc. So, exactly how am I hiding? Oh, because I don't mention being transsexual. that's a medical issue and I've no need to disclose it, just as I have no need to disclose what was done to fix me up after I was shot. Is that what you mean by hiding?

Openness will result in an improvement, in the long run? I'm 71. I don't anticipate being around for another 50 years. Maybe I'm not as altruistic as I ought to be, but you're asking me to take a risk which will provide no benefit for me.

From the last thread.

Two little issues. About, "hiding", how am I hiding? I live my life pretty much the same as everyone round me. I walk the dogs, go grocery shopping, go to movies and other entertainment venues, just like everyone else. Like other retired folks, I hang out around the house a bit more than I used to. I have conversations with people around me, etc. So, exactly how am I hiding? Oh, because I don't mention being transsexual. that's a medical issue and I've no need to disclose it, just as I have no need to disclose what was done to fix me up after I was shot. Is that what you mean by hiding?

Openness will result in an improvement, in the long run? I'm 71. I don't anticipate being around for another 50 years. Maybe I'm not as altruistic as I ought to be, but you're asking me to take a risk which will provide no benefit for me.

I'm sorry if I offended. But the impression I've gotten from your posts is that you much prefer privacy over openness. And as I say, I fully respect that choice. If that is what works for you individually then that's fine, great. But as a whole I think the Trans* community (and LGBTQI as a whole) should move towards openness. So looping back to the labels issue, I don't think eschewing labels in order to provide some sort of invisibility is the right way to go.

Not offended at all. I can't argue about preferring privacy, because I do.

What we are discussing is the dichotomy between what is best for social or political gain and what works for simply living.

What many see as being part of a class of people, I see simply as a medical issue, just as it was seen in the 70s, when I transitioned.

Perhaps, my unease with openness is the result of my being involuntarily outed in the 1980s. While I suffered no real damage from it, it taught me that anyone who knows, holds the power to cause harm. I can't keep people from suspecting I'm trans, but I sure don't have to confirm it for them. If there must be a divide between me and those around me , I'd rather it be one I put in place , not them.

Not offended at all. I can't argue about preferring privacy, because I do.

What we are discussing is the dichotomy between what is best for social or political gain and what works for simply living.

What many see as being part of a class of people, I see simply as a medical issue, just as it was seen in the 70s, when I transitioned.

Perhaps, my unease with openness is the result of my being involuntarily outed in the 1980s. While I suffered no real damage from it, it taught me that anyone who knows, holds the power to cause harm. I can't keep people from suspecting I'm trans, but I sure don't have to confirm it for them. If there must be a divide between me and those around me , I'd rather it be one I put in place , not them.

The social/political side of things is designed to make things work for simply living though - the aim of course being that eventually, whether you're open about being Trans* or not, you aren't going to be discriminated against when someone finds out about you. It isn't a dichotomy they're intrinsically linked. I also disagree personally that it's solely a medical issue (especially as in my case I almost certainly will never have surgery or even hormone therapy).

But as you say, you're 71 and I'm 19. Clearly you've lived in a very different world than I have and it would be silly to ask that you flip that world on its head to fit with mine. You have a system that works for you, I just think that it's one which is going to work for less and less people as time goes on.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone on the last thread who responded to SSASGD. I have decided that while my profession may use this acronym for reports and grant seeking I myself shall not really use it otherwise. (Mind you I also don't use acronyms very often for anything). I wasn't very surprised no one likes it though, no matter how many times I have been told it is less threatening and more inclusive it never seemed to make much sense to me why it would need changing to begin with.

Also

I'm 71.

71? Really? I am assuming your av is a photo of you and if so you look great for your age! I never would have guessed

Robin, I don't think anyone is arguing about your right to privacy and to not disclose your medical history, that's entirely your choice.

What i think Protar is saying though is that visibility and representation is crucial in the long run because that's how acceptance happens.
Everyone is entirely free to decide whether they want to be open about it or not, but it's essential that some high-profile people live openly to usher in an age of acceptance.

I know you don't care much for Laverne Cox but we need people like her who are unapologetic and completely open about their status in the public's eye to raise awareness.
Yes she's very glamour and glitzy and in a somewhat privileged position now, but there was a time where she wasn't, as a poor transwoman of color, and she talks about it a lot and I think that trumps the rest.

Of course, raising awareness means that it'll be more difficult for those who want to live stealth to do so, in the short run.

But while the short run is important on an individual level, as a community we have to look at the long run and the Trans people of this generation have to pay the price, so to speak, of coming out in the light so that future generations won't be afraid about living openly.
And what does more people living more openly means, in the long run? It means better mental help outreach, it means better trans specific health care, it means less discrimination, it means that more people see it as just another variation on the spectrum of human gender.

And I don't think more visibility means everyone is forced to lived openly, people who do not want to disclose their history won't have to, but it means that people who have no choice in the matter won't have to fear coming out anymore.

Protar and Roose Seal covered my opinions on this pretty well.

And, for the hell of it, I'm just going to throw some intersectionality all up in this shit: It is a huge privilege that, at least in the US, white LGBTQI individuals to get to choose whether or not others know their status of being outside the dominant social paradigm. People of color (whether LGBTQI or no) don't have that luxury, and far too often this has lethal consequences. Something to remember every. goddamned. day. and be grateful for that choice.

I'm going to try to ignore the YouTube garbage and continue an interesting conversation, by adding two people to my ignore list.

The social/political side of things is designed to make things work for simply living though - the aim of course being that eventually, whether you're open about being Trans* or not, you aren't going to be discriminated against when someone finds out about you. It isn't a dichotomy they're intrinsically linked. I also disagree personally that it's solely a medical issue (especially as in my case I almost certainly will never have surgery or even hormone therapy).

But as you say, you're 71 and I'm 19. Clearly you've lived in a very different world than I have and it would be silly to ask that you flip that world on its head to fit with mine. You have a system that works for you, I just think that it's one which is going to work for less and less people as time goes on.

I wanted to address this earlier, but the need for sleep, said otherwise. Part of the problem is that the word, "trans", is now so all encompassing, that almost nothing applies to it in its entirety. When I transitioned, the program was entirely geared to the needs of binary identified transsexuals, and for me, it worked. It was a medical issue that was overseen by medical professionals, which provided an added element of legitimacy in the public view. It worked for me then, and still does. The problem is there are now so many disparate categories under the same umbrella, that the "community" advocates only what works for everyone. While it is understandable, it isn't necessarily what works best for me.

Robin, I don't think anyone is arguing about your right to privacy and to not disclose your medical history, that's entirely your choice.

What i think Protar is saying though is that visibility and representation is crucial in the long run because that's how acceptance happens.
Everyone is entirely free to decide whether they want to be open about it or not, but it's essential that some high-profile people live openly to usher in an age of acceptance.

I know you don't care much for Laverne Cox but we need people like her who are unapologetic and completely open about their status in the public's eye to raise awareness.
Yes she's very glamour and glitzy and in a somewhat privileged position now, but there was a time where she wasn't, as a poor transwoman of color, and she talks about it a lot and I think that trumps the rest.

Of course, raising awareness means that it'll be more difficult for those who want to live stealth to do so, in the short run.

But while the short run is important on an individual level, as a community we have to look at the long run and the Trans people of this generation have to pay the price, so to speak, of coming out in the light so that future generations won't be afraid about living openly.
And what does more people living more openly means, in the long run? It means better mental help outreach, it means better trans specific health care, it means less discrimination, it means that more people see it as just another variation on the spectrum of human gender.

And I don't think more visibility means everyone is forced to lived openly, people who do not want to disclose their history won't have to, but it means that people who have no choice in the matter won't have to fear coming out anymore.

Actually, I like Laverne Cox and am glad for her being able to ride that glitzy, very public wave. The problem I had with her was over my interpretation about a single issue.

Protar and Roose Seal covered my opinions on this pretty well.

And, for the hell of it, I'm just going to throw some intersectionality all up in this shit: It is a huge privilege that, at least in the US, white LGBTQI individuals to get to choose whether or not others know their status of being outside the dominant social paradigm. People of color (whether LGBTQI or no) don't have that luxury, and far too often this has lethal consequences. Something to remember every. goddamned. day. and be grateful for that choice.

I agree. There have been an ungodly number of TWOC assaulted or murdered, this year and the really sad part is those have usually been at the hands of other POC. If we have to talk about YouTube, there are too many videos there of TWOC being assaulted on subways or subway stations, by African-American males. People prefer to shoot videos and post them, rather than helping stop the violence. I used to wonder why the trans women involved, chose to fight back against superior muscle mass, when there were ways to withdrew.

I got my answer a few weeks ago, when I was sitting on a bus. an African-American male, in his 50s, got on the bus, locked eyes on me and said, "Hey baby, I know who you are. I know what you are". I glared at him and silently mouthed the words, "shut the fuck up". Apparently I have a good glare, because he backed off, muttering, "I made you mad", over and over. Now, I know what it is that makes them fight, rather than retreat. It is something called rage. So how's that visibility thing working out? To me, it seems that for every person who comes to accept us, several asshats surface.

ETA: Just for the folks who feel it is so important to be open, I just did something I had really hoped to avoid. I informed my primary care physician at the HMO what provides my Medicare coverage, that I'm trans. Why? Because the way Medicare rules are set up, if you are a member of a Medicare advantage plan, you can not get services from another medicare provider, even if you pay, out of pocket. I don't need any trans related medical care, but I do need a doctor to sign off on certifying my gender so I can get a court ordered change of name and gender. (My surgeon's affidavit doesn't contain his medical licence number, and thus doesn't meet the requirements of the law.

Why, if I regard being transsexual as a medical condition, do I object to telling my doctor? Because I'm not being treated for any trans related condition and so, it is irrelevant.\!

Archived