How many times have you had to call 911?

Lyanna<3Rhaegar

@OP-

You're a better person than most. Call it divine circumstance, or whatever... you were the right person to have notice these people at exactly the right time. Three times you called for a complete stranger. A lot of people would never have even paused, you beautiful fucking soul.

Allow me to share:

I just gave birth to my firstborn. Stuck in a hospital bed, my husband had been gone about 2 hrs... I'm calling home over and over again, worried sick because my husband isn't picking up. At first I get pissy because I think he's sleeping. Nope! Turns out, he was in a car accident. A deer hit him (Yeah, I said it right. The deer hit him.) He drags ass out of the car, barely conscious, blood dripping everywhere to the point where he can hear it hitting pavement. Four cars pass. No one stops. He actually drove himself back to the hospital.

Point being... maybe you've had to call so many times, because you're one of the few people who care enough to call.

I think I called emergency services regarding an freeway accident a couple of years ago.

I want to say a massive Thank You to everyone who's quick to call emergency and intervene in these situations, because my dad has had some incidents and has had to rely on strangers. He's had problems with irregular heartbeats, once losing consciousness while driving (no one was injured, thankfully), but is doing alright now thanks to his current medication.

I started this thinking I hadn't called 000 very often. But then I remembered more occasions.

I have called the fire brigade once when my oven caught fire.

I have called an ambulance three times (once for hubby, and once for each of my eldest boys)

I have called emergency police once for a bloke beating his girlfriend(?) at a train station

And while not emergency 000 I have also called the local police station to have my brother in law removed from my house during a domestic, for our car being broken into and for a welfare check on a friend who I knew had tried to OD on his pain meds and alcohol.

So five 000 phone calls and once 1 of which was for a stranger, but all up 8 phone calls to fire/ambulance and police.

OK, I have only ever rung it once, but my husband has rung 000 for all these people

1. Started when he was 12 - he saw a car roll on the highway and called the police. In later years:
  2. saw a motorcyclist run off the highway
  3. epileptic came off his bicycle and was having fit - husband drove car off road and helped him. was holding him to try to stop him ramming his head into pavement when nephew drove past and saw his uncle 'beating a cyclist up'
  4. old man wandering streets from stroke
  5. had to use his epirb when climbing a mountain to get a helicopter for a different group of climbers
  6. saw a car roll in the middle of nowhere
  7. light plane crashed in the desert when he was driving along the highway (5 dead)
  8. saw a man jump off a bridge in 'the safest place on earth' where we live, that I mentioned
  9. saw a student get hit by a car
  10. saw a cyclist go through a car window in a collision and the cyclist didn't realise he had shards of glass poking into his abdomen, had to make him wait for ambulance, not ride off
  11. saw another motorcyclist get hit by a car
  12. called an ambulance when two of his friends were practicing king fu and one accidentally kicked the other in the testicles so that he passed out
  13. our next door neighbour had some kind of dementia and kept shouting for an ambulance so he called one

About half of these happened in our town, the others happened because he drives a lot in remote places for his job.

I used to call the police on my neighbours a fair bit. They were drug dealers, and had terrible domestics. We also had a bit of gang trouble on our road, so I called the police a few times on them. Large groups of people used to gather outside a house like 10 doors down from me, shouting, fighting, breaking windows. One incident was particularly bad. I saw one man getting beaten up by loads of others, and he ended up being thrown into the road. I'd already called the police, but when he didn't get back up and a girl started screaming, I called them again. This was at my student place.

When I was younger, I called the police a few times on my parents. I had to get an ambulance for my mum once.

A few weeks ago, I was at my boyfriends, just about to go to sleep, when we heard this awful scream. It sounded like it came from the alley at the back of his house. We and a few other neighbours called the police, and we spent some time searching the area, but the police never turned up. I can only hope it was someone mucking around.

I think I've only called 911 twice, once for myself (a reaction to medication, turned out to be a waste of time) and once for what turned out to be a B&E (the tenant actually ran the guy off, the crook ran out screaming with a furious man chasing him). I've called the cops once or twice for nonemergency crap as well.

Twice. Once when I came home late from visiting family on Thanksgiving Day to find my neighbor's house on fire. Luckily they weren't home and no one was hurt, but the house was a total loss. Second time was a couple weeks ago. I was driving home at night and a car had wrecked and was stuck in the ditch. The clearly intoxicated driver was standing in the middle of the road in a blind curve, crying and flailing about but otherwise unharmed, and begged me not to call the cops.

Only once, and it was for my mom. I was 18. She was going through a rough time and took some questionable combination of prescription drugs. I came home and found her incoherent and on the floor. It was very scary and upsetting and taught me a lot about what I never wanted my own children to have to do for me.

I have never intervened in a situation with a stranger, and I have such an anxious personality I think I would be crap at it, but I'm so glad that people exist who are ready and willing to help when it looks like help is needed.

I've lived in plenty of bad neighborhoods and I'm not at all unwilling to help people, I'm careful and I will try to avoid calling the police at all costs, but if it's really an emergency I will call 911. And I will try to help in other ways if possible. Personally, eyenon, I think that's a shit excuse, don't help if you don't want to, but don't use a bad neighborhood as an excuse.

If you think anyone is making excuses then I doubt these neighborhoods you are claiming you lived in were really all that grimy.

The neighborhoods I'm talking about, anyone who is a stranger is probably up to something bad.

In fact, the ones I'm talking about. A stranger can't even walk into the neighborhood period. Places where scams are common everyday occurrence.

If you or someone you know has been robbed for stopping to help someone who was pretending to need help, or better yet, the lady down the street does this as a profession. She pretends to be a damsel in distress while her pimp robs people when they stop to help her. This is more than understandable enough reason to not help strangers.

Don't even try to lecture me about making excuses.

If you think you can really make a difference and be THE ONE hero there who trusts strangers, I'll give you the addresses, you can move there and make changes.

If you think anyone is making excuses then I doubt these neighborhoods you are claiming you lived in were really all that grimy.

The neighborhoods I'm talking about, anyone who is a stranger is probably up to something bad.

In fact, the ones I'm talking about. A stranger can't even walk into the neighborhood period. Places where scams are common everyday occurrence.

If you or someone you know has been robbed for stopping to help someone who was pretending to need help, or better yet, the lady down the street does this as a profession. She pretends to be a damsel in distress while her pimp robs people when they stop to help her. This is more than understandable enough reason to not help strangers.

If you think you can really make a difference and be THE ONE hero there who trusts strangers, I'll give you the addresses, you can move there and make changes.

You have absolutely no idea who you are talking to.

@OP-

You're a better person than most. Call it divine circumstance, or whatever... you were the right person to have notice these people at exactly the right time. Three times you called for a complete stranger. A lot of people would never have even paused, you beautiful fucking soul.

Allow me to share:

I just gave birth to my firstborn. Stuck in a hospital bed, my husband had been gone about 2 hrs... I'm calling home over and over again, worried sick because my husband isn't picking up. At first I get pissy because I think he's sleeping. Nope! Turns out, he was in a car accident. A deer hit him (Yeah, I said it right. The deer hit him.) He drags ass out of the car, barely conscious, blood dripping everywhere to the point where he can hear it hitting pavement. Four cars pass. No one stops. He actually drove himself back to the hospital.

Point being... maybe you've had to call so many times, because you're one of the few people who care enough to call.

Oh man :( I can't believe no one stopped for him! I'm glad he is ok. (He is ok right?)

My husband had a deer hit him one time too. On Christmas Night. He had our dog with him. He was fine, no injuries. The van was a little banged up & my dog would not ride in the car with him for quite a while afterwards :lol:

Thank you for the compliment. :)

I get it completely. I grew up in a pretty rough neighborhood. That's why we moved where we did when we got married.

I think the safest thing in these situations is to call 911 in case the person really needs help but not to stop to check. That way help is on the way if there is an issue & you are out of harms way if not.

Depends on the situation I guess. Like the one where a lady flags you down.

What would I say to 911? There's a lady out here waving her arms around?? There are crazy homeless people that do that all day, they won't send and ambulance for that.

Right. But this lady was in visible need of help. She was not dressed for winter, was soaking wet & looked terrified.

Right. But this lady was in visible need of help. She was not dressed for winter, was soaking wet & looked terrified.

That would depend on the location again, if it's in a certain location the most they would do with that information is send a squad car to the general area some time within the next 2 hours. In worse areas no squad car will come at all.

What we usually did, if it was a situation where I honestly thought help was needed I would call up neighbors and we investigate it ourselves as a group.

Oh man :( I can't believe no one stopped for him! I'm glad he is ok. (He is ok right?)

My husband had a deer hit him one time too. On Christmas Night. He had our dog with him. He was fine, no injuries. The van was a little banged up & my dog would not ride in the car with him for quite a while afterwards :lol:

Thank you for the compliment. :)

He's fine :) The car frame got busted up, so it was technically totaled, and he still has numbness in the left side of his lower lip from where he got glass stuck (from 6 years ago!) but otherwise he's great. He even understands why no one stopped. It was at night, and he was walking down the road with massive pools of blood on his shirt. People were probably afraid he was a serial killer or something. lol (although you could see the deer on the side of the road if you cared enough to notice.)

Archived